BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #265
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I need some input on my last mod for the year, just lookign to increase the everyday joy of the car. Options:

m3 arms kit, on stock mSport suspension
ssk, Rouge Engineering + replace all bushings/bearing
DISA, not doing AA tune

Most are same cost, DISA is cheapest
M3 arms without springs and struts/coilovers or DISA without tune are both kinda halfway doing it, and I don't think the car needs a SSK.

I would save the money until I could properly do the 1st or 3rd option, and likely the first as it is playing into the car's strength.
      08-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #266
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
M3 arms without springs and struts/coilovers or DISA without tune are both kinda halfway doing it, and I don't think the car needs a SSK.

I would save the money until I could properly do the 1st or 3rd option, and likely the first as it is playing into the car's strength.
Do you have a suggestion for something complete that is at most $500 that experienced daily.

Im getting non-RFT soon, so no tire suggestions.
Bushings? like Rear sub frame, but on stock suspension :S... ? What about beefier rear sway bar Bushings?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 08-02-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #267
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

M3 subframe bushings wouldn't be a bad call, and if there is a few bucks left over, other M3 bits. Dial out a lot of the understeer and slop while focusing on what the car is good at to begin with.
      08-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #268
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
M3 subframe bushings wouldn't be a bad call, and if there is a few bucks left over, other M3 bits.
What other bits make sense?
I hear the rear sway bar is usually reserved for LSD applications.
That's why I thought just beefier 12mm Powerflex bushings

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #269
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What other bits make sense?
I hear the rear sway bar is usually reserved for LSD applications.
That's why I thought just beefier 12mm Powerflex bushings
Well, depends if you want to eventually convert to a 1M/M3 suspension mounting style, and then get a 1M coilovers/suspension upgrade.
      08-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #270
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Another ingredient in my "which school" equation is the fact that I cannot do DEs because my 128 is a convertible. The instructors do not want to instruct in a vert so they do not allow them. I can do autocrosses but not DEs.

Jim
      08-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #271
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Another ingredient in my "which school" equation is the fact that I cannot do DEs because my 128 is a convertible. The instructors do not want to instruct in a vert so they do not allow them. I can do autocrosses but not DEs.

Jim
What's a de?

If they won't train you in a vert, go somewhere else because theyr'e obviously too stupid to be worth it...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #272
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Jim
The Porsche CCA allows verts, so just do their events.
      08-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #273
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Stig,

I'm not sure. This is the Porsche CCA rule:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft-top must be in the up position or the hard top installed. .

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

My BMW has "pop up" protection in the rear plus a reinforced windshield frame. They specifically say the windshield is not enough. If they credit the pop up as "factory installed rollover protection" then they might let me do it. I know they let boxers and 911 convertibles but I'm not sure they let 128i convertibles. Do you know of examples where this has been done.

I went ahead and signed up at "clubregistration.net" and looked at a DE in Atlanta next week. I don't think I can make that but it appears you do not have to be a Porsche club member (just costs $50 more) and they clearly allow for other make vehicles. Still not sure they will consider the BMW rollover protection adequate - but at least they allow some already so they are more open than BMW CCA. If it works like BMW, it would be up to the instructor to decide in the end - that creates a risk I could get all signed up and show up and still not be allowed.
      08-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #274
USNEM_128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
So yeah, i have come to the conclusion that when i get out of active duty in about a year that i might be trying to hunt down an s2k....possibly a CR edition if i can find one........Do any of you experience with the S2K?

I have always wanted a s2k deep down inside lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #275
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNEM_128i
So yeah, i have come to the conclusion that when i get out of active duty in about a year that i might be trying to hunt down an s2k....possibly a CR edition if i can find one........Do any of you experience with the S2K?

I have always wanted a s2k deep down inside lol.
You have to fully wring them out o the limiter to get them anywhere at all
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #276
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
I thought that I needed a msport/bmp/135i rear until I got Blacklines. I don't need a spoiler now, they are that good )
Sweet mods! Lookin' sharp
      08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #277
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Stig,

I'm not sure. This is the Porsche CCA rule:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft-top must be in the up position or the hard top installed. .

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

My BMW has "pop up" protection in the rear plus a reinforced windshield frame. They specifically say the windshield is not enough. If they credit the pop up as "factory installed rollover protection" then they might let me do it. I know they let boxers and 911 convertibles but I'm not sure they let 128i convertibles. Do you know of examples where this has been done.

I went ahead and signed up at "clubregistration.net" and looked at a DE in Atlanta next week. I don't think I can make that but it appears you do not have to be a Porsche club member (just costs $50 more) and they clearly allow for other make vehicles. Still not sure they will consider the BMW rollover protection adequate - but at least they allow some already so they are more open than BMW CCA. If it works like BMW, it would be up to the instructor to decide in the end - that creates a risk I could get all signed up and show up and still not be allowed.
PCA leaves it up to the region.

My chapter allows e46 m3 verts to run, which have the same pop out roll bar solution as the 1 series vert.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #278
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCypher View Post
Sweet mods! Lookin' sharp
thanks!!
Good luck with your black wheel search. Maybe just use plasti dip till you wear out the current tires

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #279
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Quote:
thanks!!
Good luck with your black wheel search. Maybe just use plasti dip till you wear out the current tires
That's exactly what I plan to do now. It's ultra cost-effective and they hold up pretty long for what you get. My friends told me I have to rebalance the tires after taking them off to plastidip?
      08-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #280
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Quite a few comments about 135's breaking down. You guys whine about 135 owners making fun of 128's all the time yet do the same exact thing. Thats OK though. We understand your motivation.

BMW is a smart company and covers all the niches in the car buying world. There is a big market for young guys with not alot of money who fantasize about being helmeted racers, those who dont care for high performance cars, dads buying their daughters their graduation cars, those who buy commuter cars, the older who still want somethin a little 'sporty' and BMW themselves for their own loaner fleet. The car serves this purpose just fine.

By the way, there arent alot of performance parts available for the 128 because......its really not a performance car! BMW themselves designed it as such by simply using a soft magnesium/aluminum block.

The 135 has beefed up, forged internals to handle much more power than stock. BMW designed it that way. With nothing more than an inexpensive 20 min flash you can turn up the wick on the turbo cars over 100hp.
128 drivers work like hell to squeeze 10hp into their engines. Love the way they also add up the total hp gains by using manufacturers 'claims'. Rarely see a before/ after dyno to show actual gains.

The 135 might have an additional item or two that the 128 doesnt have but that goes with the territory. You pay to play. Yes, I would rather have a 12 cyl Ferrari as opposed to an 8 cyl one even though there are more parts that might possibly fail. To use this excuse to try a belittle a car is flat out reaching for straws.
There are many 135's making well over 400rwhp 450 ft lbs! Many of these cars do it relativley trouble free. Its rare to even find a dyno of a 128. Wonder why?
The 128 is a nice car but its just not a barn burner and cant be turned into one.
I think that's also why there are fewer 128i posts on here - more people who buy 28s are just daily drivers and not enthusiasts. Not to poke, but perhaps those who recognize and appreciate the power, speed and handling of the 135 are the ones who are willing to pay the increased cost to own.

Much is said about 128 owners using the relative cost of the car to get under a BMW badge - I am sure those people exist, but I doubt many of them are on here. They are the ones who buy the boring 128s with auto and no paddles (like every one I have ever seen but mine LOL).

On a different scale, I feel the same way about my 128 vs. a Toyota. I've had toyotas; makes for a boring daily commute. Paying the relative premium for the 128 makes the 10% of my life I spend in the car much more enjoyable. Toyotas are fine for those that choose them (and I would never belittle someone for owning one - they are great cars for what they are for the most part) and, on the other end of the scale, so are 135s.

Maybe next year when we move somewhere where there are more open roads the 135 will make sense for me, and I'll get one. But to have all that and drive the same exact way I do now? Makes no sense...
      08-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #281
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
more people who buy 28s are just daily drivers and not enthusiasts.
That's a faulty generalization, IMO.

Quote:
Not to poke, but perhaps those who recognize and appreciate the power, speed and handling of the 135 are the ones who are willing to pay the increased cost to own.
You left out "ego."
      08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #282
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

One of the things I was a little worried about on the 128i is the aluminum block without cylinder liners. I found out that larger BMWs had that sort of block for some time and that Porsche uses the same material in 911s and Boxter/Cayannes and I relaxed enough to give it a try. But I think characterizing it as soft or inferior is just not accurate. If Porsche uses it in a 911, it is not an inferior way to make an engine. The new N20 is also aluminum cylinders without a liner but it gets a sprayed on coating. The N20 is, of course, turbo charged.

The N54 and N55 use an older, more proven, method of putting a cast iron sleeve in an aluminum block. That is not a perfect way to make a motor either. Sleeves move sometimes. Heat transfer is inhibited by the sleeve to block connection. Blocks are heavier when made this way. I like "old school" that I am sure works but it is not necessarily better than newer ways of doing things.

I get tired of people suggesting 128s are bought by non enthusiasts or people without enough money for a 135 or bigger BMW. If that was totally true there would not be a Sport and M-Sport package for the 128s. I could have paid cash for any BMW. I did not feel like I wanted a turbo motor nor did I feel like I wanted a 13 second quarter mile car. If I have the power, sooner or later I will use it on a city street. A 15 second (really high 14) car is fast enough for me. I like the fact I have to shift properly to get maximum performance.

The thing 135 drivers have to get over is that not everybody wants a faster car with a turbo motor. It is not necessarily that they couldn't buy one, in my case it was not what I wanted. I'll probably have to buy a turbo car someday but I didn't have to or want to this time.

Jim
      08-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #283
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I get tired of people suggesting 128s are bought by non enthusiasts or people without enough money for a 135 or bigger BMW. If that was totally true there would not be a Sport and M-Sport package for the 128s. I could have paid cash for any BMW. I did not feel like I wanted a turbo motor nor did I feel like I wanted a 13 second quarter mile car. If I have the power, sooner or later I will use it on a city street. A 15 second (really high 14) car is fast enough for me. I like the fact I have to shift properly to get maximum performance.

The thing 135 drivers have to get over is that not everybody wants a faster car with a turbo motor. It is not necessarily that they couldn't buy one, in my case it was not what I wanted. I'll probably have to buy a turbo car someday but I didn't have to or want to this time.
+1.

Makes you wonder if Boxster owners get this kind of grief from 911 owners...
      08-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #284
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

The N52 utilizes a alumuninum/magnesium engine block. Porshe uses all aluminum blocks with no magnesium. Theres a huge difference. Mg is 30% lighter than Al but its not as strong as Al. BMW used it to save weight on the engine which of course is a good thing. At OEM powers it works very well but it cant handle higher powers. This article explains it and has the lead BMW I6 guy saying exactly that.
http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...bo-pay-bmw-i-6
Myself, Im happy with the iron liners. Its a tried and true method that has held tons of hp for a long time. The thought of hard steel piston rings pressed tight against soft aluminum cylinder walls(even somewhat hardened) with those pistons making many thousands of up and downs scapings a minute seems to me a a bad engine wear endevor. The liners extra weight is a small price to pay for the longevity provided. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #285
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

granted i did get my car 128i for mainly commuting, i also plan on using it for autocross and just spirited driving in general. I love that I can destroy people that own "better" or "enthusiast" cars according to others on the twisty roads because owning a faster car simply does not make it faster. Every rich d**k head buys themselves a 335i/ferrari/bentley/an expensive fast car, but they can't drive it properly. It's just a wonderful moment when my little "girl" car is 3 corners ahead of something that costs twice or three times as much.

though if i could have i would instantly gotten a 135i, but i'm also perfectly content with my 128i because i don't need to drive any stupider on public roads with an extra 100hp/100ft\lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #286
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
+1.

Makes you wonder if Boxster owners get this kind of grief from 911 owners...
I own a Boxster and a 128i - - - I'm definitely getting no love!

For me, I prefer simpler, lighter cars and value handling over power. I'm also a auto crosser, and enjoy seeing 914's and even Boxsters and Caymans often hand GT3's there lunch on the AutoX course.

The 128 is actually my wife's car, but she lets me modify it and drive her around in it on the weekends. So far I have replaced the RFTs with Michelin PSS mounted on 17" D-Force rims (225f/245r), installed the BMW short shift kit, Cool Carbon pads all around, replaced the rear subframe bushings and added the rear luggage tie down hooks (helps me to keep things from flying around in the truck with all of that extra grip I have now - - - I mean that my wife has now). Next up, I bought the used TC Kline double adjustable rear shocks from Harold, as well as the stiffer front control arm bushings, and a set of front Koni sports. Tomorrow the FedEx man is suppose to delivery a E93 M3 front sway bar kit, BMW yellow performance springs and new front bump stops, all from Dan.

With the double adjustable in the rear, I decided not to do the rear sway bar at the same time as the subframe bushings since I'll be able to hopefully dial in the grip and weight transfer using the rebound adjustment.

Last edited by Terry989; 08-17-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0