BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Question "New" Pricing for 700 Miles & Repaired Front Air Dam

Hi 1Addicts, I'm hopefully about to join your ranks if I can find a 135i Convertible 6-speed that works out for me.

I found one. Everything started out cool when the salesperson told me I could have it for $500 over invoice (I was going to ask for just that from the $46,730 invoice price). Then he mentioned it had 700 miles rather than the 7 miles listed on the web site. Um, OK...

Then the sales manager calls (I asked to have the sales manager confirm the pricing offered b4 I fly to pick up the car) and he says that the car has a very slightly damaged front air dam that he is going to have repaired.

It seems the car was originally ordered by the General Manager, then it was taken to a golf tournment, and now after returning from golf, it has the dam(n) damage.

The sales manager now says he'll give it for $200 over invoice.

So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts:

* how much over/under invoice should I get because of the mileage/damage?
* can a dealer really sell 700 mile car as a new car?

Cheers in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
Hi 1Addicts, I'm hopefully about to join your ranks if I can find a 135i Convertible 6-speed that works out for me.

I found one. Everything started out cool when the salesperson told me I could have it for $500 over invoice (I was going to ask for just that from the $46,730 invoice price). Then he mentioned it had 700 miles rather than the 7 miles listed on the web site. Um, OK...

Then the sales manager calls (I asked to have the sales manager confirm the pricing offered b4 I fly to pick up the car) and he says that the car has a very slightly damaged front air dam that he is going to have repaired.

It seems the car was originally ordered by the General Manager, then it was taken to a golf tournment, and now after returning from golf, it has the dam(n) damage.

The sales manager now says he'll give it for $200 over invoice.

So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts:

* how much over/under invoice should I get because of the mileage/damage?
* can a dealer really sell 700 mile car as a new car?

Cheers in advance!
My experience with cars like this is that that dealers generally won't give you enough of a discount to make one worth considering. BMW has either rolled back or done away with their demo program (that gave dealers help to move demos or cars used by dealer staff), and the dealer probably isn't hard up enough to take a big loss to move it. Typically dealers will deduct the standard lease rate for miles from the price (.20 or so), which only drops the price by a few hundred dollars. For me, that's nowhere near enough to make me want a car that a sales manager has possibly beaten the crap out of during break in. As far as the damage goes, that's a red flag to me that the car wasn't driven carefully, and any time you have paintwork done (however minor) it creates potential issues on resale.

Oh, and to answer the second question, yes the car can be sold as new since it hasn't been titled.

Unless you want/need the car right now, you're better off ordering a fresh car for $500 over invoice. You can offer them $2-$3K below, which is what it would take for me to consider this kind of deal, but they're almost certainly going to reject it and just wait for an impulse buyer that could care less how many miles are on their new car.

Hope that helps, GL.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
My experience with cars like this is that that dealers generally won't give you enough of a discount to make one worth considering. BMW has either rolled back or done away with their demo program (that gave dealers help to move demos or cars used by dealer staff), and the dealer probably isn't hard up enough to take a big loss to move it. Typically dealers will deduct the standard lease rate for miles from the price (.20 or so), which only drops the price by a few hundred dollars. For me, that's nowhere near enough to make me want a car that a sales manager has possibly beaten the crap out of during break in. As far as the damage goes, that's a red flag to me that the car wasn't driven carefully, and any time you have paintwork done (however minor) it creates potential issues on resale.

Oh, and to answer the second question, yes the car can be sold as new since it hasn't been titled.

Unless you want/need the car right now, you're better off ordering a fresh car for $500 over invoice. You can offer them $2-$3K below, which is what it would take for me to consider this kind of deal, but they're almost certainly going to reject it and just wait for an impulse buyer that could care less how many miles are on their new car.

Hope that helps, GL.
+1. Custom order for invoice + $500.

I did just that in the SF Bay Area. There are a ton of dealers in the area.

Just curious - which dealership is offering you this "deal"?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up Thx; Can't Wait for Order; BMW of Dallas

Thx for the feedback Angry3 and Singular.

In a perfect world, I'd order a car, and do Euro delivery, but I just came back to San Fran from Hong Kong, and I need a car to drive ASAP.

It's BMW of Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Papa13
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I wouldn't take it unless it was 500 under invoice. I just got mine for 300 over invoice with 4 miles on it. 700 miles is unacceptable. It's used IMO
18' Blue/Black SEL Premium R-Line 4 Motion Tiguan - Mods on order
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
Thx for the feedback Angry3 and Singular.

In a perfect world, I'd order a car, and do Euro delivery, but I just came back to San Fran from Hong Kong, and I need a car to drive ASAP.

It's BMW of Dallas.
Oh you just come back from Hong Kong? 你好嗎 I am chinese too

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up Now much better deal...

... it's now down to $1K under invoice. That's pretty fair I think and it seems that there are soooooo few 6-speed manual 135i convertibles. I think the whole world has gone automatic!

I agree Papa13, this car feels used to me too at close to 1K miles, but like I said, I need a ride "tout de suite". I hope the new car smell is still there.

Nice to meet you wmo168. Hong Kong is a great city, and China is a great country, but some how I never bonded. I didn't travel around or explore too much.

And in terms of cars, they have the best cars in HK - every weekend, it seems that there were at least 2 or 3 Ferraris parked on Hollywood Road thru Lan Kwai Fong. And we're talking the hi end ones - 599s and 612s. But the roads to drive them are much better here in Cali. The probably never got out of 3rd gear in HK.

Thanks to all for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll just update this post a final time with a scan of the sticker... really appreciate everyone's feedback in this post and others... stoked to be an "owning" member of 1Addicts!

After 6 months now, regarding options, I would have:

+ added Park Distance,
- removed the premium radio (and upgraded aftermarket, like with DynAudio and McIntosh), and

+++ recommend Dinan Stage 2 as soon possible (got it @ 2 months).

==========
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
You can currently order a 1er the EXACT way you want it, for below invoice with the $1500 holiday rebate.

Given the mileage and the repair work, the most I would offer is $4000 under invoice. Even then, I would have to love the way the car was optioned out.

Also, if you ordered the car, would you get all of those options and the same colors? If not, I think it would make zero sense to take one that was loaded up with things you may not want.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

plasar,

to ease your mind of the new car smell: i drove 700 miles in europe middle of october and the car still smelled as new as it could be when i dropped it off at port. even at 12,000 miles i have seen m3's still smell new.

also, i have a sweater sitting in my closet that i didn't wash and IT still smells like a new car for over a month! (don't ask)

in general, i would still order a new one, but if you simply can't wait, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Sorry to confuse everyone: I bought the car in May 2009 and have had it for 6 months now. Everything's great!

I just wanted to paste my window sticker in this post for posterity and give a little feedback about options.

Again, thx tons for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
hockeymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i silver,prem/sport package

yea dont take anything under invoice i got 3 grand under invoice on a brand new 135 coupe with 3 miles on it
Appreciate 0