BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

My new Baby 1M (12/10/11)

After 9 months of waiting for my car and reading so many other people's delivery stories FINALLY I am able to do the same.

First there are three things that caught my attention
1) Reviews would talk about the 1M's super stiff suspension. I've never driven a track or race car, but if this is considered "SUPER STIFF" count me in! Maybe I have a bit more cake in my rear than others, but this is no stiffer than a friend's 135i Msport that I've driven.
2) Drone? Come on, this is what I expect from a performance car with an exhaust. From my experience, it is not annoying or tiring at all and hearing it only heightens my experience.
3) Great sound system. Yes I got the Harmon Kardon, If I were to get only a single option on this car, the sound system would be it.

As soon as all the paperwork was done and the car was handed to me I...

1) Started her up/ waited for warm up
2) Slid a CD in
3) Listened to some Black Keys, first song...
hahaha
4) Had the time of my life sitting through an hour of traffic home

I am absolutely in love with this car, but had a very odd feeling the first couple days. After looking at almost every video, and every post in this 1M section of the forum for the past 9 months while waiting for my car to arrive, I have grown to understand, learn and know almost every little detail about this car. The interior, exterior, engine bay and trunk space were somethings I memorized due to my long wait and addiction to this forum. So when I received my car, I would look at it in the driveway and think... "yea, there's my 1M, whatever, cool", but then I would take a second glance and think "Wow, THIS IS MY 1M!, I can't believe its finally here!" haha. She came delivered with 7 miles on the clock, and I've just checked to find 299 on the odom. I am very happy, but can't wait to hit the 1200 mile service so I can let her loose. For some reason, maybe this is just me but I feel as if the exhaust is getting louder and more burbly than the time I picked it up.

Like many I pre-ordered the car. My search began in mid February and I placed my first order in early March... at Pacific BMW. Bad idea. At that time all was fine and deposit was put down, order sent in. After never hearing from my sales rep Simon Lee, and calling many times I eventually received a response saying our deal is off unless I was willing to pay mark up on the car unlike the MSRP agreed. We threatened to bring in the suits, they said they couldn't get allocation. W/e didn't put the work into it and I guess they got bad press eventually anyways haha Suck it Pacific. Then I went to South Bay BMW which is where I eventually received my car! I placed an order with an original delivery date of September. Some how later I heard that this was not possible and allocation was not available. I began to give up because by now waitlists were plentiful and mark ups were just beginning to appear. Most around the 2500 to 5000 mark which seems to be a great deal today.

Many wonder how I hear about so many allocations and available cars and question if I'm some sort of broker... let me finally fill you in haha.
My search for this car has been an experience. In my search I've questioned my sanity for trying this hard just to purchase a car and why I was doing this all myself.
In the past 9 months I have put down about a dozen orders and have been placed on twice as many waitlists. In the beginning I was told I was secured an allocation then updated to hear later that I was not so... I contacted every dealership on the West Coast with 1 thing in mind. MSRP. I received a few, but once again followed up with "sorry...etc." So...... I contacted every dealer in the US... yes this is about the time I considered my sanity haha.
As you can imagine I received a lot of feed back. Many available for MSRP, many saying yes then no, and a few mark ups. Why didn't I take a few MSRP? because of shipping, might as well pay mark up around my area than pay same amount for shipping from east coast. At the end of this ordeal I had secured a 1M from East Coast dealership Flynn BMW for courtesy delivery to LA and a 1M from Camp BMW in Washington for October delivery. Then in September a week from production I received a call from South Bay, "HEY we have an allocation would you still like it"... No shipping issues, no 800 mile drive, but two extra months wait? ...Why not sure. So I called the other dealers off. Gave them away to forum members and snagged mine up from Torrance.

So as you can imagine, I'm still unsubscribing from all the dealers emailing list and my phone was going off the charts with their "follow up calls/ what about another BMW calls". Eventually a few 1M's became available in one of the US dealers, I received the call, asked if I could give to a friend, and posted on this forum for a few lucky forum members.

On the first day, I...
1)Stalled once
2) Slightly scrapped the front on a dip
3) Received my first freeway race request by a convertible e46 M3
4) on the down low... had a private, silent burst of joy in the car while leaving the dealership

I am very happy with the car and the wait has probably made this experience that much greater. Thank you all for posting your European Delivery stories, PCD stories, and even Normal Deliveries. Your photographs, comments and reviews are what inspired me to continue my search and eventually get my car. Happy to finally join the club. See you all out on the open road
Attached Images

Last edited by DooBs; 12-16-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Tom303
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Congrats

You are so lucky to be in Southern California. You should be able to drive on your summer tires year round.

As for me, I am driving on snow tires and the handling is not the same. I am still waiting for our first winter snowfall to go out and play in the snow.

Have fun and welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Congratulations, I hope South Bay treated you right.

I got my 1M from them, first one delivered (5/9/11), they did a great job for me.

I live in Irvine and get it serviced at Crevier, hope to see around some time.

WB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Do you guys know of any other dealer in Cali that will sell one for MSRP? Seems there are quite a few that have been but they all want $10-20k over MSRP.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Very few have been sold at MSRP and many that claim they bought at MSRP are fibbing. At this time I would find it hard to see any dealer let one go with no additional markup because people nationwide are buying them well over sticker, so its almost a guarantee for the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom303 View Post
Congrats

You are so lucky to be in Southern California. You should be able to drive on your summer tires year round.

As for me, I am driving on snow tires and the handling is not the same. I am still waiting for our first winter snowfall to go out and play in the snow.

Have fun and welcome to the club.
Thank you! Yes I am so glad to be in So Cal, but recently we've been having random showers and seriously strong winds, my car as well as the roads are covered in rain, leaves, and branches. Looking forward to seeing your car in the snow haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Congratulations, I hope South Bay treated you right.

I got my 1M from them, first one delivered (5/9/11), they did a great job for me.

I live in Irvine and get it serviced at Crevier, hope to see around some time.

WB
South Bay was wonderful. The picture of the BMW Titleist balls and the small chain was a sort of thank you gift. I distinctly remember your car's photographs at Cars and Coffee along side another from Crevier. How is your car treating you now that you are 7 months in?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Congrats! I think the common feeling from most guys when the first began driving the car is a lot like yours, as in I knew it would be good but I didnt expect it to be thaaaat good lol

You are right about the suspension its not as stiff as some made it out to be but you will get some bounce going over uneven roads which gets annoying after a while but regular bumps and speed bumps are no problem at all, car is very compliant.

HK sound system, great choice it really is awesome when you crank it up.

Drone, happy to hear another person who actually owns the car to feel its exactly as it should be.

Again congrats, the excitement does not fade quickly, keep on driving~
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Congrats! She's a beaut. Sounds like you're really enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Congrats and enjoy!
      12-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Congrats man very nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
South Bay was wonderful. The picture of the BMW Titleist balls and the small chain was a sort of thank you gift. I distinctly remember your car's photographs at Cars and Coffee along side another from Crevier. How is your car treating you now that you are 7 months in?
Car is great, now running the Magnaflow exhaust, soon to add Berk mids.

Had the 1M and one of our MINIs at Willow Springs the weekend after Thanksgiving, car ran great, much better than the driver .

If you are ever down this way, give me a shout and we could meet up.

WB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

You picked the best color! Also, love the ProV1s (although I prefer the ProV1x).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

hahah nice write up, congrats!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Congrats mate.....

Alot of hard yards to get there, but well worth it in the end.

Happy motoring....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

That's a lot of work...now the vacation!
      12-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Congrats !

After lusting so hard for it, you secured one and now it's finally here to stay by your side.

Always a treat to read those "wait is over!" stories.

Oh, and "insanity"? Nah, just call it "the ///M spell".

Name:  AllMine.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  16.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Congratulations!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Very few have been sold at MSRP and many that claim they bought at MSRP are fibbing. At this time I would find it hard to see any dealer let one go with no additional markup because people nationwide are buying them well over sticker, so its almost a guarantee for the dealership.

Bunch of Liars..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZTh1ZG0zeHc6MQ
Seriously though,,, Over 90% of the responses on this show that they purchased at or under MSRP.. I really don't think people have a reason to fib on an anonymous vote...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Congrats!

I was on the waiting list at south bay since June but never made it. Still got my car though. Im in long beach, so if you and wb want to meet up, let me know.

Yeah, I have no problems w/ drone, and the suspension compared to the mini is plush.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
I as well as many owners bought at MSRP, when I placed my order the dealer I purchased though had no idea what he sold me, it wasn't until dealers started to receive cars that were not already sold that they got greedy and started the mark-ups. I doubt it if anyone who ordered months before they took delivery paid a mark-up, why would they? If you ordered early you got MSRP, or better...if you waited you paid extra...the early bird....

Congrats Doobs!
      12-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Very nice. It's worth the wait, right?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I as well as many owners bought at MSRP, when I placed my order the dealer I purchased though had no idea what he sold me, it wasn't until dealers started to receive cars that were not already sold that they got greedy and started the mark-ups. I doubt it if anyone who ordered months before they took delivery paid a mark-up, why would they? If you ordered early you got MSRP, or better...if you waited you paid extra...the early bird....

Congrats Doobs!
In all honesty I dont want to go back and forth. Im sure someone got invoice price. At the end of the day we are all luck to have the car. I could give a rats ass what you or anyone else paid, lets just drive!!
Appreciate 0