BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just checked my car and the computer stated that my front pads are due for service in 2700km. I guess it is time for me to change it to something better than the squealing and dusty OEM pad. I don't go for any track run, so I just looking for something better than the OEM.

Any suggestion?

I was looking at the DBC redstuff, are they good? Or Stoptech street performance pads?
      11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Best street pad I've found for our cars is the cool carbons. Low dust, quiet, and a better pad than the OEM ones with better modulation of the pedal.
      11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Best street pad I've found for our cars is the cool carbons. Low dust, quiet, and a better pad than the OEM ones with better modulation of the pedal.
+1
      11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I just got some EBC Redstuff's installed. So far I am satisfied with them good bite, low noise but there is some brake dust. If you don't want to spend much but get a high quality pad go with EBC if you want the best of the best then Cool Carbons.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
+1
+1 for cool carbons. Just do NOT track them, but as you mentioned, hopefully not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Boosted1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
+1 for cool carbons. Just do NOT track them, but as you mentioned, hopefully not a problem.
Why not? I jus bought them and plan on using them along new rotors at my next track day.

They are suposed to work for some trck duty dont they? Sure they are not dedicated track pads but I was under the impression they weere substantially beter than stock pads, wich can easily stand a track day if you are not hardcore.

I would be more concerned for the brake liquid...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
They'll be fine as long as you don't abuse and stomp on brakes. They'll start fading as soon as you start picking up speed
      11-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted1 View Post
Why not? I jus bought them and plan on using them along new rotors at my next track day.

They are suposed to work for some trck duty dont they? Sure they are not dedicated track pads but I was under the impression they weere substantially beter than stock pads, wich can easily stand a track day if you are not hardcore.

Both myself and a friend in BMWCCA I autox with have used them for track duty. Both of us used them for the '11 season and I switched back to OEM (then stoptech), he switched to Ferodo. Once you get them up to track temperatures, they fade quickly, but that's not the worst of it. It's a permanent fade. You will lose stopping power each time you fully heat cycle them. I got through about 1/4 of the pad before it was totally useless and I could no longer activate ABS through braking, which is how much stopping power was lost.

Unfortunately I can't describe the exact science. I did have to change the pads and rotors to eliminate the issue.

Now, with normal temperatures, they're great. No noise, no dust, linear feel. Once you heat them up, they're absolute garbage. I would NOT recommend tracking them for your own safety. Get a dedicated track pad set and save the CC's for the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
+1 also for the street. Autox would be ok also. Track not so good

If i didnt track so much i would go back to cool carbons
      11-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Agree that the cc are fine for the street also agree that they are no good at the track. So bad in fact that I won't buy them again. I've been running performance friction zrated and the are much better dual purpose pads. lower in dust than oem, better braking, and also seem to hold up at the track. They are not track pads by any means but they will not fade significantly at the track like the cc did.
      11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Boosted1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i n54

You guys just shot my balloon down...

I bought the CoolCarbons because my rear Ferodo DS2500 after 1 month of use are EXTREMELY (unbearable-like) noisy. I was under the impression they could take some rack abuse, at least a tad better than the OEM pads.

Im also installing new slotted rotors and Titanium shims... Should I just bail out of using the CoolCarbons in the track? Dont wanna doubt of any of your opinions but some of you might be hardcore racers and at times get extreme about things like this.

I.E. I've heard stock pads and 135i brakes are RUBBISH in the track... While others have had very good performance from them in their track days... So, do you think it may b that for some very experienced racers that push HARD their cars on the track, and ond very fast and brake-abussive tracks, the CoolCarbons just dont take the abuse, but for some weekend-twice-a-year racers, in slower and smaller tracks (Im in Mexico, most tracks are somehow small and you dont reach ery high speeds) Cool Carbons (or stock pads) can be just enough?

Really looking forward to your opinion guys. Dont really want to throw away the 700 usd I've already spent (CC pads. Front and rear Slotted rotors and TI shims).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I changed the stockers for EBC Redstuff pads. They do take quite a while to fully break in - maybe 1000+ miles depending on how much you use the brakes. After about 1500 miles, I'd say the initial bite is similar to the stock pads, the dust is at least 75% less, though still not "dustless", and braking power is at least as good as stock. They seem to squeal a similar amount to the stockers or perhaps a tad more. I bedded them once at about 500 miles, which got rid of the squeal for a while. I've been planning on bedding them again now that they are fully broken in. I have no idea what they would be like on the track. I have a set of Ferodos I plan on using for track days.

FWIW, I ran Stoptech Street Performance pads on my 330 ZHP. They were high effort (ie low initial bite), but stopped great, and held up very well at the only HPDE event the car saw. Personlly i like the feel of the Redstuffs better.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I've used the Redstuffs for years on my e90 at the track. They are hard on the rotors and do require high pedal pressure but they have never failed me at the track (make sure that you use high temp fluid - I use Motul RBF600). I eventually traded out for Performance Friction Z rated but the PF pads are not available for the 135is.
      11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I just got some EBC Redstuff's installed. So far I am satisfied with them good bite, low noise but there is some brake dust. If you don't want to spend much but get a high quality pad go with EBC if you want the best of the best then Cool Carbons.
+1—many happy customers including ourselves---great for performance street and many find them to work successfully also for light track.

FYI-Green fade can be caused by bedding technique and/or bringing pads up to temperature too fast on the track- generally if fade is experienced and performance does not return than pads have glazed- usually only requires removal and light sanding of friction surface to remedy.

For significant track duty, there can be better choices ---but very few if any as street friendly as the Cool Carbons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted1 View Post

Not to worry-you will be fine with light track use that you describe- we have many customers including ourselves that run these pads and are quite pleased with the performance
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by denfion View Post
I just checked my car and the computer stated that my front pads are due for service in 2700km. I guess it is time for me to change it to something better than the squealing and dusty OEM pad. I don't go for any track run, so I just looking for something better than the OEM.

Any suggestion?

I was looking at the DBC redstuff, are they good? Or Stoptech street performance pads?
You can't go wrong with the Stoptech Street Performance pads for its slightly elevated performance over the OE pads both on the street and track. These pads can take a bit more abuse than some other high performance street pads currently available.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I have had EBC Yellow stuff on my 3 previous cars. Loved them. Not sure if they are still available or if they have changed formulas/properties.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
capri
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Are these the ebc red for the bmw135i you guys are referring to: ??

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...html?loc=Front

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk....html?loc=Rear

In theory when one replaces the OEM with these, is it just plug and play with no modifications needed ?
Also, if the car is not being tracked or auto-x, for just normal street/ highway use, how long is the life of the oem brake pads ?

Thanks for the inputs.
carpri
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capri
Are these the ebc red for the bmw135i you guys are referring to: ??

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...html?loc=Front

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk....html?loc=Rear

In theory when one replaces the OEM with these, is it just plug and play with no modifications needed ?
Also, if the car is not being tracked or auto-x, for just normal street/ highway use, how long is the life of the oem brake pads ?

Thanks for the inputs.
carpri
Yes, those are same ones I have on mine. They fit directly.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0