BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M vs. M3 CSL on ex-F1 track

This video that I found in youtube by chance is from a recent track day on the ex-F1 track in Istanbul, Turkey which is now called Intercity Istanbul Park. A few years back when it was inaugurated it was universally praised by F1 pilots and other professionals, even Bernie Ecclestone was quoted to call it as the "best track in the World".

Remember fellow Advevo chasing a track prepped E46 M3 CSL on Nurburgring? It was when (one of) his 1M was brand new and fully stock. Maybe not that exciting video but nonetheless this is also very interesting showing a full chase by the 1M on a pretty damp track. Driver is fellow Forum member Can84, holding the flag very high in Turkey indeed. He has currently fourth best BMW time on this particular track (I assume first is this CSL but achieved on a dry day like all others ahead of Can84 and his 1M) and he is first on another track ahead of many exotics. I am sure with time and when weather permits he will clock a great time there. Enjoy.

Istanbul track times:

http://www.intercitypark.com/pist-dereceleri/

Video:

BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice.

Stock 1M vs stock CSL?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The exhaust definitely is not stock.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Track is beautiful. CSL was all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Not to put a downer on this vid. Track is good and vid is nice, but both drivers don't seem like they know what they're doing.

Last edited by 1M SUSI; 11-07-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Can anyone guess which exhaust this is?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M SUSI View Post
Not to put a downer on this vid. Track is good and vid is nice, but both drivers don't seem like they know what they're doing.
I thought the 1er had good skills
      11-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Can anyone guess which exhaust this is?
Akra.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Track is beautiful. CSL was all over the place.
FWIW, I've learned later that the CSL's brake pads and tires were almost done. If true, he is not too bad to control the car at those speeds on such a slippery surface.

These guys are mostly having fun there and believe me if a new 1M would worth 134,500 EURO (yes, 180,000 USD) when new and the CSL probably close to double of that, as a lucky owner anyone would tend to be a bit shy, even on a track

But indeed none are Advevo material and I am sure they don't claim anything like that as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Nice.

Stock 1M vs stock CSL?

Cheers
Robin
He should notice this thread and pop in himself but as far as I know his 1M is not stock anymore, he had a thread somewhere (he is the guy who wrapped the BSM with almost VO looking red).

Don't know anything about that CSL.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I thought the 1er had good skills
+1

Evidently it's not F1 champ Vettel driving the car, but nothing big to complain about.

However, the track in my opinion is boring.
I had fallen a sleep after a few laps
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks for the exciting video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
He should notice this thread and pop in himself but as far as I know his 1M is not stock anymore, he had a thread somewhere (he is the guy who wrapped the BSM with almost VO looking red).

Don't know anything about that CSL.
A torque of a stock 1M should allow it to utilise the straights to outpace a stock CSL, but this did not appear to be occuring during the video

(I have run against the CSL on both a slow and power circuit, and wish our vehicles weighed less than 1400kg!)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
Thanks for the exciting video

A torque of a stock 1M should allow it to utilise the straights to outpace a stock CSL, but this did not appear to be occuring during the video

(I have run against the CSL on both a slow and power circuit, and wish our vehicles weighed less than 1400kg!)
I agree about the observation concerning the straights; a stock 1M should pretty much equal a stock CSL, especially on straights. Not only torque, I think we have similar hp anyway

And a big yes to the weight comment, it would be great to have the 1M closer to 1400 kg. not 1500 as it is, heavy for its size and purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

It's the former f1 course in turkey. I like the track.
Appreciate 0