BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
tcallquest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the heads up on the diminished value recovery. I didn't know about this. And thanks to everyone for their support, concern and suggestions. I'm keeping my head up even though it's hard. I think I will feel a lot better when the insurance claim is worked out and the car is in the shop. But right now, going outside and seeing the car in bad shape is rough. I would post pictures, but honestly, I think everyone would be better off without. Plus, I don't want to muddle the karma. I'll keep everyone posted via this thread about updates with the insurance. I'll document my entire experience because you all are very helpful, and i have no doubt you can rally around me if it comes to that.

Today, I spoke with the other driver's insurance company. He uses Commerce Insurance in MA, and I filed a claim. The only problem is, I filed a claim the night the accident happened, and for some reason they lost all the information. I've been waiting 36 hours to hear back from them, and the reason I didn't was because my phone called claim report was somehow mishandled. I re-filed, and bitched. I now have a file # and case manager. They said they would send someone out shortly to appraise the damages, probably after the holiday weekend. I will update this thread as soon as I find out if this kid's insurance covers my entire damages. I'm concerned about that.
Also, I haven't technically updated my insurance yet to the new car. In D.C. you have 30 days to transfer over to your new policy. So because I haven't done that, I was thinking of going with a cheaper deductible than the $1000 I originally planned too. That way, if I am forced to make a claim under my insurance, I won't have to fork over as much money (even though I will hopefully get it back when my insurance company goes after his). My insurance agent obviously hasn't hinted that this might be an option, but I figure I'm free to choose a plan until I sign on the doted line. I also think (and people please weigh in on this) that I can go out and find a new insurance company. I've had to file the claim and do all the leg work, while other people I know say the agent should do all this. I'm not the happiest customer. I figure I can leave even with my car damaged because the accident wasn't my fault, and I have a police report and all. Another insurance company might still be pleased to have my business, no? But i'm also afraid this could complicate the issue more, and run the risk of (even if its very small) of losing all coverage (if the other driver's insurance somehow doesn't cover the entire costs). What do you all think?

I'll leave you with that for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #24
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I doubt anybody would touch taking you on while you have an open claim. If you went with a new carrier, they certainly wouldn't post date the policy and cover you.

You shouldn't have to worry about a deductible at all, so don't. Your current broker mishandled the initial claim, and you'll be good to go shortly. Btw, I use Commerce in MA as well. They are fairly highly rated. Don't worry about things. Just make sure you get taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #25
BJDrew
Impatiently Waiting
Rep
Drives:

I'm sorry for ya... it'll all work out.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #26
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wow, makes me realize how trivial the paint chip the tint guy put in my paint today really is.
Such bad luck puts things in perspective.
I would guess it's a write off by the way you described the scene.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #27
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

wow, That really sucks. I hope your their insurance company totals the car and gets you another one exactly like it, and gives you an m3 as a loaner while you wait
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
tcallquest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

good news

After a considerable amount of time waiting for the car to be appraised, fixed and delivered, I finally have it back. Yes, after only having the car for one week before it was smashed into while parked on a side street, it's back in the family. The whole ordeal took roughly 2 months to solve. I was wrong in my assessment that the car was totaled. Turned out to be 6k worth of body damage, but no problems with the frame or engine.

On diminished value though. All of the insurance companies involved in the accident (which wasn't my fault) claim they don't allow diminished value claims. Any idea how to pursue if this is the case? I could use some help.

Thanks. And it's good to be driving a 1er again, the car still drives like a dream.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Glad everything worked out...

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #30
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

find a place that has a computer based frame machine.
They can measure every spec of the car before and after.......it costs 150 bucks to have it done here locally.....if a shop says they can fix it to factory specs the printout will let you how close those fixed areas are to factory specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #31
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i wouldn't mess with the deductible because you are going to get it all back. File a claim with your insurance and let them deal with the other company. It's the fastest way to get your car fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
C6H12O6
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 328i (AW/Coral)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcallquest View Post
After a considerable amount of time waiting for the car to be appraised, fixed and delivered, I finally have it back. Yes, after only having the car for one week before it was smashed into while parked on a side street, it's back in the family. The whole ordeal took roughly 2 months to solve. I was wrong in my assessment that the car was totaled. Turned out to be 6k worth of body damage, but no problems with the frame or engine.

On diminished value though. All of the insurance companies involved in the accident (which wasn't my fault) claim they don't allow diminished value claims. Any idea how to pursue if this is the case? I could use some help.

Thanks. And it's good to be driving a 1er again, the car still drives like a dream.
What do u mean that they don't allow diminished value claims?
What insurance company is it? My wife got into a car accident and we got dimiinished value, it was no problem. We had to fight for it, but in the end they gave it to us. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #33
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Man, :'( when I saw the title to your thread my heart literally sank. I hope you get a totally new 1er for all that grief. I don't know, I might have strangled the UHaul driver, but then I'd be in a cell and not only no car, but no freedom. I hope all things work out for you man. Lol, haven't even touched my car yet and become paranoid now, lol. 1er Anxiety, a new disease . . . Again I hope things work out for you man, its a horrifying thing to witness and another to hear. :'(

PS-Just noticed that your car is fixed now, lol, I feel joyful now Good to find out it was just some body damage and nothing serious. Man, what a relief, but still an ordeal no one should ever have to go through. Now who's with me on a 1 Series threat detection system*. It would be equipped with a rocket pod firing 24 rockets at anything big (say a UHaul truck) that might want to bring harm to it and a 7.62mm machine gun to take care of anyone trying to steal your car. And a new feature that is everyone's favorite: chloroform dispenser and vehicle immobilizer. Knocks out anyone who dings, scratches or hits your 1er. Chloroform incapacites person and immobilizes their vehicle so they can't flee the scene.

[NOTE*:This system is completely fictional and is in no way associated with anything past, present, or future. The poster does not endorse anyone working to make this a reality and was made only to be humorous in nature. I hope no one's feelings were hurt by this post]