BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

JB3 1.2 Update

Time for an update!

The boost curves, air/fuel ratios, map switching, fuel pressure curves, filtering changes, etc are finalized as of beta version 1.2F. But one area we're not done with is the boost solenoid offsets, particularly in cooler weather.

Offsets that are too weak for a given air density and boost curve will result in the ECU thinking you have a boost leak. Offsets that are too strong for a given air density and boost curve result in the ECU thinking its overshot the boost target.

Interesting enough, and I’ll bring this up because it’s the flavor of the week, the first case results in almost no throttle body closure, as the ECU never gets to the point where it feels it has passed its boost target. The second case results in the opposite, extreme throttle closure, as the ECU attempts to regulate the imaginary boost spike. Both cases will result in a CEL/LIMP if they persist long enough as these are factory safety systems.

When tuning we like to see a little throttle activity below 4500rpm as the JB3/ECU hone in on the boost target, and very little above 4500rpm. When everything is perfect you can not feel the throttle activity on the road. See attached log from tonight’s tuning. Of course if your boost solenoids are not actually connected to your ECU then none of this is relevant to you, as your ECU boost fail-safes have been disabled.

Getting back on topic, we have many testers out there with various 1.2 versions ranging from A-F, in addition some have 1.21, and some have the latest 1.22. As of 1.2F everything is finalized but the cold weather solenoid offsets. So if you’re running 1.2F in a warmer climate no real reason to go to 1.22 at this point. But in colder climates you will want to switch over to 1.22.

On another front we have a working boot-loader, its even native USB. But launching 1.2 is our first priority, followed by JB+, at which point we’ll get back to releasing the boot-loader and gauge.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Wow...nothing like seeing masters at work.:w00t: