BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #67
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I can understand people wanting to help and I can understand BMW under estimating the interest the 1M has garnered. Naturally any company would want to extend the life of any product that is selling out and at a mark up.

However, if they could have built 2012s then they all would have been 2012s from day one just like the LCI 1 series that shares the head/tail lights with the 1M is (a 2012). Did BMW magically find a loophole?

They called the 1M a 2011 for a reason, I dont see how that has changed to allow a 2012 model now, unless it was a very calculated marketing strategy.

In addition it was the hype about being limited (yes I know officially they werent limited) that drove the prices up and the frenzy for everyone to grab an allocation ASAP. Things wouldnt have been so hectic had they announced 2012 availability when the vehicle was launched, so again was it marketing strategy? I suspect many early adopters will be furious if thats the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #68
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Jon Schafer (bimmerfest) has already posted the production changes for the 1M for September. While I will withhold my doubt at this time since the 1M has been an unorthodox production exercise for BMW, I would really expect that if they had planned to do MY2012 it would have happened in September like the other models. Here is what he posted (note the changes apply to MY2011 and really only amount to the common changes to bluetooth/USB that are happening across the board) :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=9

• 1 Series M Coupe (MY11)

Standard Equipment Changes: "None."

Optional Equipment Changes:

• "Option 639 BMW Assist is removed from the list of Stand Alone Options (still included with Premium Package). Option 6FL iPod/USB will be replaced by the new option 7H9, iPod/USB and Bluetooth."

Package Changes:

"Premium Package becomes Premium Package 2 (ZP2) with new option 7H8 including Assist, Bluetooth, and iPod/USB Adaptor to replace 639 Assist and 6FL iPod/USB Adaptor. Convenience Package becomes Convenience Package 2 (ZC2), the new 7KB Navigation Package replaces 609 Navigation System. Package prices are unchanged and Convenience Package 2 requires Premium Package 2."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #69
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Jon Schafer (bimmerfest) has already posted the production changes for the 1M for September. While I will withhold my doubt at this time since the 1M has been an unorthodox production exercise for BMW, I would really expect that if they had planned to do MY2012 it would have happened in September like the other models. Here is what he posted (note the changes apply to MY2011 and really only amount to the common changes to bluetooth/USB that are happening across the board) :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=9

• 1 Series M Coupe (MY11)

Standard Equipment Changes: "None."

Optional Equipment Changes:

• "Option 639 BMW Assist is removed from the list of Stand Alone Options (still included with Premium Package). Option 6FL iPod/USB will be replaced by the new option 7H9, iPod/USB and Bluetooth."

Package Changes:

"Premium Package becomes Premium Package 2 (ZP2) with new option 7H8 including Assist, Bluetooth, and iPod/USB Adaptor to replace 639 Assist and 6FL iPod/USB Adaptor. Convenience Package becomes Convenience Package 2 (ZC2), the new 7KB Navigation Package replaces 609 Navigation System. Package prices are unchanged and Convenience Package 2 requires Premium Package 2."
Oh no, BT is stand alone w/o assist now? Thats the only thing I wanted besides comfort access.

Well the 3 series sedan like the 1M is listed on this list as a MY11. So whats the story on the 3 sedan? Is it known that it will cease production in December? Everything else is listed as MY12
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #70
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo;
No informed CA would make such a careless error.
335IS Min - this is a common mistake by CA's. Today I spoke to two CA's at the largest BMW dealership in the US and they too were using M1.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #71
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Well the 3 series sedan like the 1M is listed on this list as a MY11. So whats the story on the 3 sedan? Is it known that it will cease production in December? Everything else is listed as MY12
Yes, the E90 sedan and E90 M3 are done before the end of this calendar year - no MY12 for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #72
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think some of you guys are being a bit harsh on 335is_Mineral. After all he is new here and just trying to help the community out by letting us know some inside info.

Dackel
+1. The OP has nothing to gain by making this post. He didn't tell us where he works, they're not taking deposits, not charging over MSRP, etc. Right or wrong, he's actually taking a pretty decent reputational risk by putting this out there.

So hopefully he's right about more 1Ms being made. I have a deposit at my local dealer w/ no confirmed allocation (wait list). It's been 3 months and my dealer told me it's not going to happen so we'll refund your deposit. I said I'll take back my deposit when the last 1M rolls off the line. Until then I'm keeping my place in line on the off chance BMW decides to make a few more 1Ms for all of us who are still waiting and hoping.

Anyway, thanks 335is_Mineral. I hope you're right. Or that at least BMW is thinking about it.

Ideally, I would like all 1Ms to be 2011s, though. Which means the Leipzig plant would have to shift some X1 and/or 1-series production to calendar year 2012 to open up some capacity for 1Ms in 2011. Maybe Dackelone can make that happen when he visits the plant later this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #73
Papethova
Banned
Rep

I dont know how open BMW is going to be about production details during our tour. Ill be surprised if they openly answer yes to a production extension if BMW hasnt officially announced it.

I guess we will know on August 30th
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #74
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Quote:
In addition it was the hype about being limited (yes I know officially they werent limited) that drove the prices up and the frenzy for everyone to grab an allocation ASAP. Things wouldnt have been so hectic had they announced 2012 availability when the vehicle was launched, so again was it marketing strategy? I suspect many early adopters will be furious if thats the case.
If I have known they would make 2012 made I would have waited. It would be interesting to see if BMW does make a 2012 production but I guess we would have to wait and see.

I wonder if it warrants a class action lawsuit against BMW for market manipulation and for the frenzy from early adopters. I doubt it though.

Papethova hope you can give us a better idea when you're at your ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #75
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
+1. The OP has nothing to gain by making this post. He didn't tell us where he works, they're not taking deposits, not charging over MSRP, etc. Right or wrong, he's actually taking a pretty decent reputational risk by putting this out there.
Alfred Pennyworth: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #76
A10ACN
Germany
Rep
Drives: Landcruiser

I actually met the OP today, just a fluke. I went in to check out M3s and see what kind of info I could get about the 1M situation. He told me the same thing that he posted here. Before I knew he posted on this site, I told him how I dreaded walking into the dealership knowing the great possibility of knowing more about the 1M from the internet than the average US sales person. We discussed how the traditional sales guy in the US can no longer just read the brochure or watch the factory video and expect to answer the average internet informed buyer today. I told him I appreciated being able to talk to someone who was knowledgable and informative regarding the 1M production as well as his honesty. I mentioned I'd been following this forum and that's when he told me he had posted the 2012 1M information he'd just received and people were getting bent about it. I don't know him, never met him until today, and can't comment on his honesty, BUT I've seen nothing he's written about himself on here is inaccurate. I'm just throwing this out because I think its pussy to attack a guy personally from behind a computer just for putting out what he thinks is informative info. I saw this same thing happen to two connected guys on another car forum. A few guys who weren't hearing what they wanted to hear, and apparently didn't have jobs or lives from the number of posts they made, attacked the guys and ran them off. Now the attackers are still there blowing the same gospel and commenting on every freaking thread. Their credentials seem to be that they own a car and post a lot- thus they are experts.

This is my first post here, so take or discard it as you will. I don't intend to post much here, so if you don't like what I've written- I'll save you the electrons and tell you now that you win and you are far smarter than I'll ever be. So, there.
Edit: I meant to mention that during our entire conversation I probably accidentally referred to the 1M as the M1 at least twice (yes, I know what a M1 is). He never corrected me. Probably because he knew what we were discussing and likely because he's a gentleman.

Last edited by A10ACN; 08-07-2011 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Just because.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #77
FairfaxM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 1M, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACN View Post
I actually met the OP today, just a fluke. I went in to check out M3s and see what kind of info I could get about the 1M situation. He told me the same thing that he posted here. Before I knew he posted on this site, I told him how I dreaded walking into the dealership knowing the great possibility of knowing more about the 1M from the internet than the average US sales person. We discussed how the traditional sales guy in the US can no longer just read the brochure or watch the factory video and expect to answer the average internet informed buyer today. I told him I appreciated being able to talk to someone who was knowledgable and informative regarding the 1M production as well as his honesty. I mentioned I'd been following this forum and that's when he told me he had posted the 2012 1M information he'd just received and people were getting bent about it. I don't know him, never met him until today, and can't comment on his honesty, BUT I've seen nothing he's written about himself on here is inaccurate. I'm just throwing this out because I think its pussy to attack a guy personally from behind a computer just for putting out what he thinks is informative info. I saw this same thing happen to two connected guys on another car forum. A few guys who weren't hearing what they wanted to hear, and apparently didn't have jobs or lives from the number of posts they made, attacked the guys and ran them off. Now the attackers are still there blowing the same gospel and commenting on every freaking thread. Their credentials seem to be that they own a car and post a lot- thus they are experts.

This is my first post here, so take or discard it as you will. I don't intend to post much here, so if you don't like what I've written- I'll save you the electrons and tell you now that you win and you are far smarter than I'll ever be. So, there.
Edit: I meant to mention that during our entire conversation I probably accidentally referred to the 1M as the M1 at least twice (yes, I know what a M1 is). He never corrected me. Probably because he knew what we were discussing and likely because he's a gentleman.
Quote:
A10ACN
Registered

Drives: Landcruiser

I apologize for taking this thread off track....So you are, per your profile, in Stuttgart, and you happened to meet the OP today, who I'm assuming is at a US dealership?

What are the odds of that?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #78
BMW NA Communications
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The N54 remains emissions-compliant in the US after 2011 but as already communicated to the press by our Product Communications group, there are no plans to extend 1 Series M Coupe production for the US beyond 2011. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #79
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACN View Post

I will discard your sanctimonious speech. You're just as likely the same guy under a new profile, Mr. First Post.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #80
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

For sure BMW AG is aware about the success the 1M garnered in reviews and sales demand over the past few months. Maybe BMW AG is currently planning something, maybe not. And even if they are working on something as we speak, that plan might come to fruition and see public daylight ...or could be shelved in the end anyway.

However, think and hope what you want, but as long as nothing is officially confirmed by BMW AG, it will not leave the speculation/innuendo department. And as far as we know, no confirmation has surfaced so far. So, rebus sic stantibus, no extra production run or special version for the 2011 1M.

The fact that the post of OP is received with a high degree of scepticism is not supposed to be a hostile personal attack (argumentum ad hominem) against OP, but an understandable reaction due to the fact that his info is nowhere confirmed by official sources + not quite evident (production constraints, new model coming up for production, marketing commitment of limited production, etc.) + one can reasonably doubt that some folks at BMW AG of BMW M would put their job at risk by disclosing highly confidential info (violating professional secrecy provisions imposed in employment agreements).

Time will tell. Let's see what comes out of the pipeline in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #81
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA_MGuy View Post
The N54 remains emissions-compliant in the US after 2011 but as already communicated to the press by our Product Communications group, there are no plans to extend 1 Series M Coupe production for the US beyond 2011. Hope that helps.

This has been - from what I understand - the official line since the 1M was introduced. All the rest - as can be read in this and other threads - is speculation pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #82
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
There it is folks. Straight from the horses mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #83
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Anyone who is surprised by the skepticism that meets claims like the OP's has no sense of the context in which the 1er community has received 1M information.

It was just a rumor for years. It was finally "leaked" by BMW marketing. More details were "leaked" that ultimately proved false or at least premature (personalization program, anyone?). The car was slowly unveiled over the course of several excruciating months. Production numbers were described in German riddles. The allocation process is done using fractals and fuzzy math.

And the single worst source of information through all of this... has been Client Advisors.

Thank you for the clarity, Matt.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #84
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
and he REALLY works for BMW

Im just curious if it is compliant for 2012 then why is production ending? Is it simply to switch over to next gen 1 series production? 2012 128/35s will still be produced though, right? I just dont get why.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #85
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

this whole thread is just strange to me in several ways. first off (directed towards the flamers): wouldn't it make more sense for a dealer to continue saying that the car is rare/never-to-be-built-again/etc? i mean, then they can try to justify their markups, right? secondly, what do we expect they are doing with "refundable" deposits? are they running to the bank to suck up the horrible US sub-1% interest rates right now? be real.

to the OP: good intentions it may have been...but you're obviously hitting an emotionally charged crowd. sometimes a secret is better kept...well, a secret. BMW will come out with an official notice at some point. we're a pretty well informed bunch with our fancy google searches and fast internet connections, wasting time at work obsessing over this forum, waiting for our "M1's" to come in. don't sweat it. that said...(sadly) you stuck your neck out there. i defend your original post (i think your intensions were fine), but i feel that sales guys on forums as a losing battle (for you guys). i [personally] hate when CA's push perspective buyers this way and that way with information not yet released by the car manufacturer, ultimately who employs you. what's the difference with what you're doing and insider trading? it's similar in ways, and it can affect peoples opinions this way and that. i consider sales folks on here (that do this) as "forum trolls"...hiding under a bridge until you see an opportunity. again, i'm not saying this is you...i think you sincerely had good intentions (just stuck your neck out there). like i said before, i'll wait until i see it from your employer, but i really do appreciate the intent of your post.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 08-07-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #86
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
THANK YOU.

Is it too much to ask that this puts an end to these threads?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #87
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Never meant to be personal attack on the OP but the numbers he is claiming are just suspicious. 2,000 cars just for the US? At this time I think BMW would only do that for other countries not for the US. For a business standpoint they would rather make more X1 in the Leipzig plant for the China market since they don't need to a maintenance plan or long warranty plan there instead of dealing with all that headache over here.

Quote:
Im just curious if it is compliant for 2012 then why is production ending? Is it simply to switch over to next gen 1 series production? 2012 128/35s will still be produced though, right? I just dont get why.
Looking at the production schedule of the regular e92 and the M3, the EOP on the same month. I don't see why the e82 and 1M can't end at the same month either.

Last edited by !mspinster; 08-07-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #88
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
THANK YOU.

Is it too much to ask that this puts an end to these threads?
+1
Appreciate 0