BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Question about wheel/st coilovers fitment

I'm getting some aggressive wheels built and will be purchasing st coilovers - I'm curious how fitment would be from inside lip on barrel to spring on the st's.
Wheel specs are 18x9 et38 and 18x10 et40.
Could I get away with a 5mm spacer upfront and no spacer in rear?
Also do the st's have camber adjustment?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

No ST's don't have camber adjustment unless you buy a set of camber plates.
      12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
SchnellFowVay
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

I had ST coils installed along with MM6 wheels at ET48 and 9" width in the rear.

I run 255-series tires, also.

The left rear has been fine at any height, but the right rear rubs at all heights (I think because of the added weight of the gas tank, maybe???). I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

I'll get some camber plates then, thanks.
I'll be running 225/45f and 245/35r so I don't think I'll have huge problems but I'll keep in mind your passenger rear problems, thanks!

Can anyone comment on needing a spacer up front?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
A 9" wide wheel will be very tough to get to fit in the front on our cars. That offset is probably about as good as you can get. Technically the inside of your wheel should be 2mm closer to the strut than mine so I think it will fit that side. I'm on KW's which supposedly are exactly the same as ST's except the metal used. You'll be poked on the outside 10mm further than me already so hopefully you won't need a spacer.

Hopefully you mean to run 225/40/18 fronts. I assume you are planning to semi-slam your car. If that's the case I'd run 225/35 fronts. I rubbed at times in the front with my previous tires, but I think it was the height and how lowered I was more than the width.

I think it's the design of our cars that makes us all rub on the passenger side rear. I can definitely see that my passenger wheel pokes out more. Your rears will poke out 11mm further than mine. I run 2deg front and rear camber and my fenders are rolled, semi-pulled. You are gonna have to do more than that.

Good luck, but I think more aggressive sets have been ran already so you should be able to make it work with some effort. Keep us updated!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman
A 9" wide wheel will be very tough to get to fit in the front on our cars. That offset is probably about as good as you can get. Technically the inside of your wheel should be 2mm closer to the strut than mine so I think it will fit that side. I'm on KW's which supposedly are exactly the same as ST's except the metal used. You'll be poked on the outside 10mm further than me already so hopefully you won't need a spacer.

Hopefully you mean to run 225/40/18 fronts. I assume you are planning to semi-slam your car. If that's the case I'd run 225/35 fronts. I rubbed at times in the front with my previous tires, but I think it was the height and how lowered I was more than the width.

I think it's the design of our cars that makes us all rub on the passenger side rear. I can definitely see that my passenger wheel pokes out more. Your rears will poke out 11mm further than mine. I run 2deg front and rear camber and my fenders are rolled, semi-pulled. You are gonna have to do more than that.

Good luck, but I think more aggressive sets have been ran already so you should be able to make it work with some effort. Keep us updated!
Sorry typo there I meant 225/35f and 245/35r. Your post answered all my questions so thank you very much!
I'm pulling the trigger on some bbs rs or super rs, in the middle of looking for faces, but have been in contact with rotiform to refinish and build to the specs mentioned in my original post. Surprisingly it's cheaper then buying a new set of any 3 piece wheels by atleast $1000. I'll update with a new thread in the new year when it all comes together.

Thanks again

Ps. Gorgeous car - love the volks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

You got wheels 1.5" wider to run oem sized(width) rubber?? seems like a waste...
      12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
You got wheels 1.5" wider to run oem sized(width) rubber?? seems like a waste...
I don't track my car. If I ever decide to I'll have my stock 261s in the garage.
Appreciate 0