BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
MikeCJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: '01 Miata, '12 RAV4

Need Your Help--1-Series Steering

I'm a visitor here, as I have a question I need answered and I'm hoping you can help.

I need to know if the 1-series BMW has electric steering and if so, what was the last model or model year that didn't have it.

Anybody know for sure, or have any suggestions as to where I can go to find the information?

Many thanks,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Since you're in the US, all E82 (coupe) and E88 (convertible) 1ers have hydraulic steering. The change occurred with the move to the new chassis, F20, which is the hatch available in the ROW and the new coupe, F22, is not available yet.

As a previous NB and 135i owner, don't assume that the 1er will have great steering feel, especially with the OEM run flats.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

As a previous NB and 135i owner, don't assume that the 1er will have great steering feel, especially with the OEM run flats.
actually runflats have sharper turn in than non-runflats from plenty of people i've spoken with due to the rigid sidewall creating less flex. Runflats have other comfort issues, but turn in is not one of them. the 1-series has really great steering feel IMO. It's sort of heavy and quite communicative!

To the original poster: YES Hydraulic steering on the current (almost gone) E8X 1-series. The upcoming 2-series will have Electric-assisted steering. POST THIS on the 1addicts part of the forum for better answers, man!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
actually runflats have sharper turn in than non-runflats from plenty of people i've spoken with due to the rigid sidewall creating less flex. Runflats have other comfort issues, but turn in is not one of them. the 1-series has really great steering feel IMO. It's sort of heavy and quite communicative!

To the original poster: YES Hydraulic steering on the current (almost gone) E8X 1-series. The upcoming 2-series will have Electric-assisted steering. POST THIS on the 1addicts part of the forum for better answers, man!
True that it's sharper with RFT's, but it's lazy either way, at least compared to my M Coupe which was designed around normal tires and even E46 cars. The E82 (non M) were a little at odds with their stock suspension and the E9x cars always felt better sorted. I still prefer the E82 to the E92, but steering feel wasn't the strong suit of the E82. Our E84 has better feel, even with awd and more boosted (but still hydro) steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
MikeCJ
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Since you're in the US, all E82 (coupe) and E88 (convertible) 1ers have hydraulic steering. The change occurred with the move to the new chassis, F20, which is the hatch available in the ROW and the new coupe, F22, is not available yet.

Thanks for that rundown.

A Miata will spoil so many other cars for you...even a Boxster feels like you're in a bathtub after the Miata, even though the Boxster will corner faster and stay stuck like it's on rails. I could live with a Boxster, but it's just not as much fun on Uncle Sam's roads as an NB.

The only problem with a Miata...as I always say..."All Mazdas are underpowered." So it shall be and so it shall ever be.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCJ View Post
The only problem with a Miata...as I always say..."All Mazdas are underpowered." So it shall be and so it shall ever be.
Ha, true. I've been waiting on an STI BRZ for just that reason, but may cave and just buy the current, underpowered one. It has EPS, but the steering feels great in the FT86's. I'm hoping Mazda gets the ND Miata right though.

My dad's FD RX7 isn't underpowered and the MS3 is pretty good, just driven from the wrong end. But those are certainly the exception and both are discontinued now.

I sold my Miata for the M Coupe, which actually had better steering, but I think that was an anomaly for BMW as every one I've owned or driven since then hasn't had anywhere near as much feedback and feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
True that it's sharper with RFT's, but it's lazy either way, at least compared to my M Coupe which was designed around normal tires and even E46 cars. The E82 (non M) were a little at odds with their stock suspension and the E9x cars always felt better sorted. I still prefer the E82 to the E92, but steering feel wasn't the strong suit of the E82. Our E84 has better feel, even with awd and more boosted (but still hydro) steering.
i personally prefer the 'feel' of the E82 to the E92....as it feels more compact and tossable. the E92 felt too refined to me....and not as 'fun'. the steering on the E82 is heavier than i remember on any E92 3-series i've driven. To me, 'heavy' steering is a big plus as you generally feel more of what's going on while turning and have more control.

well if you're comparing "M" cars then that's a different thing altogether. The 135 won't be on par with an M car, until you get into a 1M (which, of course, shared the steering rack from the E92 M3). As far as the 'regular' BMW range----i feel the 1er is the last remaining 'old school' BMW in terms of steering feel and handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i personally prefer the 'feel' of the E82 to the E92....as it feels more compact and tossable. the E92 felt too refined to me....and not as 'fun'. the steering on the E82 is heavier than i remember on any E92 3-series i've driven. To me, 'heavy' steering is a big plus as you generally feel more of what's going on while turning and have more control.

well if you're comparing "M" cars then that's a different thing altogether. The 135 won't be on par with an M car, until you get into a 1M (which, of course, shared the steering rack from the E92 M3).
I think we're on the same page on the E82 vs E92 thing, the size of the E82 was what made me favor it.

M Cars don't have a magic steering factor, they generally have slightly faster racks and better tires, but they're not drastically different.

The one thing I hated about RFT's was the lack of feel they engendered. Sure, they had relatively fast turn in, but you had little idea of what was actually going on. Switching to non RFT's did reduce the initial turn in, but brought back a lot of actual steering feel that was being damped by those stupidly stiff (yet somehow vague) sidewalls.

Our 2008 135i always felt undersprung and overdamped. I know they made some changes later in production, hopefully the addressed some of that. The 1M I drove was darn near perfect for a car of it's size, so at least one person at BMW knew how to get it right.

Sadly, it looks like the E84 will be the last BMW with hydraulic steering, and it's got a great feel to it. I'm sure BMW/ZF will get the electronic stuff working better in the future, but right now, it's something I'll be actively avoiding. Like I said, I love it on the BRZ, the S2000 and the NSX, and I don't hate it on the Boxster and Cayman, but BMW isn't anywhere near those cars in terms of EPS feel yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCJ
I'm a visitor here, as I have a question I need answered and I'm hoping you can help.

I need to know if the 1-series BMW has electric steering and if so, what was the last model or model year that didn't have it.

Anybody know for sure, or have any suggestions as to where I can go to find the information?

Many thanks,

Mike
E82 no electric steering (at least US models) for 128i/135i/135is

Lol not sure why iphone app said no posts on here. Sorry for repeat xD
      10-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Thanks for that rundown.

A Miata will spoil so many other cars for you...even a Boxster feels like you're in a bathtub after the Miata, even though the Boxster will corner faster and stay stuck like it's on rails. I could live with a Boxster, but it's just not as much fun on Uncle Sam's roads as an NB.

... And an Elise will make you smile even more, no assist. Talk about direct.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
MikeCJ
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
... And an Elise will make you smile even more, no assist. Talk about direct.

I actually saw an Elise today! In Waukesha Wisconsin they are very rare. Not sure I've ever actually laid eyes on one before.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:

A Miata will spoil so many other cars for you..
I've been chasing my '95 R-edition Miata since I got rid of it in 1998. Many years & cars later the closest I've come is the 135i (since I have to have 4 seats - until the kid grows up). It has the power, but still feels really heavy.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:

...The one thing I hated about RFT's was the lack of feel they engendered. Sure, they had relatively fast turn in, but you had little idea of what was actually going on. Switching to non RFT's did reduce the initial turn in, but brought back a lot of actual steering feel that was being damped by those stupidly stiff (yet somehow vague) sidewalls...
Your experience with the RFTs has been mine as well. I pretty much despise them. Especially after I discovered they couldn't be repaired when a new tire that had "picked up a nail" needed to be replaced. Or did I get hosed?
      10-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

It depends on the manufacturer. You could patch Bridgestones, but not the Pirellis on our X1.
Appreciate 0