BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink Airbox Carbon Filter Removal??

Does anyone know if the airbox carbon filter [in US spec, but don't think in Euro--which traps emissons when shutting motor off] is BUILT into that lid, or can it be removed? I took airbox out which was easy enough, cleaned etc, but cannot see how carbon filter is removed. It appears, its unitized-i.e. you would have to cut it out, which I won't do, and if it ever needed replacing, the whole flippin' lid needs to be replaced. On my Z4si, it slips in...and out...nice as it should. Here it appears BMW just had it all molded in, and its there to stay. Anyone have any scoopy-do on this rascal?? The Z does run a bit better without it. Removal just lets the air flow thru filter a bit sweeter...does not intefer with air sensor. Thanks for any help...love this 128i MSport...what a stitch to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

There's a DIY on the E90post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21590

I think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Red face

Raine thank you--Yes that is exactly what I was looking for...I searched and did not find that one...this forum is just great--and frankly I would not have thot of the E90...some of the "E" issues still fog me a bit more than I like. I just never kept track of it all over the years.

BTW--yes I see that it has to be cut out. And should that filter ever need replacing, the dealer will charge us for the whole lid and inlet. It is a top lid with filter molded insitu--- which will be sad, more expensive, and more wasteful, than a simple filter replacement. It will not be cheaper for us to replace ti filter. Not even sure how long they last, but as they continue to build up dust etc, while the regular filer is replaced, this one requires the airbox lid to be replaced. And it has to restrict air as it builds dust. But reverse emissons when shutting things down, is really not a green worry for me. I am looking not for more horses, but smoother speeds and any economy is great. The Z improved on both counts. Thanks, Raine
Appreciate 0