BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

A little bit about my 1M and its evolution.

I seem to be posting more and more the further into modding I get. Thus far, every mod has improved what is already a epic drivers car. I figured I would put a list here of current mods to anyone who is interested in discussing and developing thier own 1M.

Engine;

VAC Motorsports Oil Pan Baffle
BQ Tuning Custom tune,
Motul 5w40 8100 always every 3k,
K&N oil filter always every 3k,
AFE Twin Cone Intake W Scoops,
AD Engineering 3" Charge Pipe,
AD Engineering 650 Intercooler,
Forge Diverter Valves,
RB Silicone Turbo Inlets,
Cobb Access Port,
VSRF Catless Downpipes,
MadDad Mid Pipe,
Burger Motorsports Catch can,
Akrapovic Axle Back With Wireless Kit,
Fuel-it stg 2 LPFP
CSF Aluminum Radiator
Motorsport24 dual oil cooler kit (hardcoat Type 3 anodized)
Aluminum power steering pulley

Transmission/Diff;

Diffsonline LSD, 3.45 gearing 3 clutch 35/60 REM R&P and Bearing polish
M-Factory Dry Carbon 1pc Driveshaft,
Stock dual mass flywheel
BMW F10 550i clutch
Redline DCTF trans fluid
Redline 75w110 LSD Oil,
UCC Solid Trans Mounts,
UCC Adjustable Aluminum Clutch Pedal,
Turner Motorsports Solid Delrin Diff Bushings,
034 Motorsports 50 Derometer Motor Mounts,
CDV Delete
CAE Ultimate Race Shifter.

Suspension/Chassis;

Ohlins DFV Coilovers,
Vorshlag camber plates,
SPL Front Spherical Thrust Arms
SPL Rear Adjustable Toe Links, with SPL lockout kit,
TMS rear strut brace,
Mason Engineering front strut brace, (custom machined removable center section)
Corner balance @TMS,
Bimmerworld Spherical rear control arm bearings,
Bimmerworld Spherical trailing arm bearings,
Adjustable sway bar end links front (HPA) and rear (Hotchkiss),
H&R swaybars 27mm front, 23mm rear,
TMS Aluminum rear subframe bushings,
SPL Front camber adjustable/Geometry correcting control arms spherical bearings,
SPL Rear upper adjustable traction arms spherical bearings,
SPL Rear upper adj camber arms spherical bearings,
SPL Geometry corrected tie rods spherical.

Interior;

BMW Performance V2 Alcantera LED Steering Wheel (Orange) Stitching,
Alcantera Steering Wheel Center,
BMW LED Interior Light Kit.

Exterior;

BMW Motorsports Carbon Trunk Lip,
CF Dynamics Boca GTS Front Lip,
LED Halo lights.

Brakes;

Stockish for now.
Stoptech Street Pads front and rear

Wheels/Tires;

Burger Motorsports Ti lug bolts,
Bridgestone RE-71-R
255/35/19 Front
285/35/19 Rear.

Future mods are some type of braking system, bigger turbos, performance seats, maybe carbon rev wheels, and some carbon bits here and there.

Last edited by hot-j; 09-29-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Wow, sounds epic. But what a tease - where are the pics? Really curious to see what you did with the cae shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, I know.. I just don't take many pictures. From the outside she looks pretty stock. When the next round of suspension bits get here, I will definitely take some pics of everything underneath, post alignment settings and corner weights and such.

Last edited by hot-j; 02-05-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

What are your numbers on the dynojet and what what fuel did you use when you did your Dyno on the dynojet?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was running with 4 bad fuel injectors and didn't know it at the time, so the results were not optimal. Stay tuned for results hopefully next week. I only run 93.

Last edited by hot-j; 02-05-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post

Clutch masters Aluminum SMFW,
UCC Solid Trans Mounts,
Turner Motorsports Solid Delrin Diff Bushings,
034 Motorsports 50 Derometer Motor Mounts,
Mother of God..... you must be still in your 20's. I've been down that road, my evo went from BecauseRaceCar to sold in within 1500 post installation miles.

Also, 1M owners don't let 1m owners buy Misimoto. You have vastly better options:

http://www.hpashop.com/CSF-High-Perf...CSF-N54N55.htm

https://www.crracing.com/bmw_e82_e90...d_z4_2006_2011

Tread lightly with that diff upgrade. It's easy to ruin the handling of your car with the wrong configuration. Contact Diffsonline and have a long conversation about your goals prior to purchasing because off the shelf is not your friend.

Other than that......

Last edited by redux; 02-05-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
Mother of God..... you must be still in your 20's. I've been down that road, my evo went from BecauseRaceCar to sold in within 1500 post installation miles.

Also, 1M owners don't let 1m owners buy Misimoto. You have vastly better options:

Tread lightly with that diff upgrade. It's easy to ruin the handling of your car with the wrong configuration. Contact Diffsonline and have a long conversation about your goals prior to purchasing because off the shelf is not your friend.

Other than that......

Lmao... I am 38. The hardcore is still strong in this one! The Misimoto rad has a 35% higher cooling capacity. My wife is friends with Dan, Diffsonline founder.... I am sure we will work out something appropriate.

Did I mention this is my daily? 20k miles last year, and a THICK stack of maintenence recipts to boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep

I live in south Florida and I did 412 and 472 on a hot humid day in south Florida on 93 octane with FBI and ********
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
I live in south Florida and I did 412 and 472 on a hot humid day in south Florida on 93 octane with FBI and ********
I am expecting about the same, hopefully more. I don't think my cobb Intercooler is effective enough though.

Last edited by hot-j; 02-08-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Where you live, your weather is more suitable for better dyno numbers than where I am, I dynoed in ninety degree weather with high humidity, let me know your numbers when you get back to the dyno
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:

Other than that......

Please elaborate on the Mishimoto comment? I've been looking at that vs the CSF.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Please elaborate on the Mishimoto comment? I've been looking at that vs the CSF.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimoto-parts/performance-aluminum-radiator/mmrade9007~msh/?gclid=CIOuzLvr9NECFcaNswod6U0EbA
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimoto-parts/performance-aluminum-radiator/mmrade9007~msh/?gclid=CIOuzLvr9NECFcaNswod6U0EbA
One of the above comments suggested that Mishimoto radiators are worse than CSF or PWR. Curious about specific information.
There was a guy with a 335i who ran a Mishimoto and found that it did nothing to lower temperatures on track; he installed a CSF instead and it fixed all of the limp mode issues he had been experiencing.
I'm curious if others have any firsthand experience with specific aftermarket radiators on the 1M with lowering oil temps on track, and how much shoehorning or cutting was required to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #14
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One of the above comments suggested that Mishimoto radiators are worse than CSF or PWR. Curious about specific information.
There was a guy with a 335i who ran a Mishimoto and found that it did nothing to lower temperatures on track; he installed a CSF instead and it fixed all of the limp mode issues he had been experiencing.
I'm curious if others have any firsthand experience with specific aftermarket radiators on the 1M with lowering oil temps on track, and how much shoehorning or cutting was required to do it.
Oh.. I see. Try to dig up that thread that you read that in, I would definitely be interested to hear what they had to say. I took the Mishimoto comment as it belongs on a honda and not a bmw...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post18929378

I also clarified the details via PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. I wish he had more details about the track days with the Mishimoto. Theoretically, the earlier sessions with it were closer to summer with higher temps.... the CSF he tested was in November with 70 degree temps....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #17
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Lmao... I am 38. The hardcore is still strong in this one! The Misimoto rad has a 35% higher cooling capacity. My wife is friends with Dan, Diffsonline founder.... I am sure we will work out something appropriate.

Did I mention this is my daily? 20k miles last year, and a THICK stack of maintenence recipts to boot.
I don't know how you do it. Those of us with weak constitutions in the fields of NVH salute you. I suppose an inline 6 engine wouldn't have as many vibration issues as a 4 banger. That evo, however, has scarred me for life. I've got the full bimmerworld suspension catalog, turner solid bushings, and motons installed already. So we aren't to far apart on the handling front. I'll be hitting up diffs online once the stock diff gives up the ghost.

How is the cf driveshaft? I've been a eyeballing one for a while.

Quote:
I've had Mishimoto products on about 9 cars over the years. A third of them had out of the box quality control issues that required replacement. Besides that, they are fine as drop in "better than OEM" replacements. From a personal standpoint, I've had better luck with items from motorsport suppliers with robust national and world level programs. I will almost always choose the motorsport supplier option over the tuner equivalent when available and won't negatively effect the usability or reliability of the car.

Last edited by redux; 02-06-2017 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how you do it. Those of us with weak constitutions in the fields of NVH salute you. I suppose an inline 6 engine wouldn't have as many vibration issues as a 4 banger. That evo, however, has scarred me for life. I've got the full bimmerworld suspension catalog, turner solid bushings, and motons installed already. So we aren't to far apart on the handling front. I'll be hitting up diffs online once the stock diff gives up the ghost.

How is the cf driveshaft? I've been a eyeballing one for a while.

I've had Mishimoto products on about 9 cars over the years. A third of them had out of the box quality control issues that required replacement. From a personal standpoint, I've had better luck with items from motorsport suppliers with robust national and world level programs. I will almost always choose the motorsport supplier option over the tuner equivalent when available and won't negatively effect the usability or reliability of the car.
Its really not that bad. I too, have been down this road before with 944 turbos, Moton, solid and spherical everything. This 6 is much better nvh wise. I have been thinking about going 3 way on the 1M, but will wail until I see where this next round of suspension bits get me. The carbon Driveshaft was worth every penny in my opinion. The aluminum flywheel will be getting changed most likely. It's the only mod thats pushed the envelope a little too far. A note about the CAE, when I first did it, I wasn't solidly mounted. To run it properly, I had to do the solid trans, and diff mounts... and just went for a stiffer MM to negate some nvh. I'm happy with the combination. Oh, and I've just about been convinced to go CSF. The oil cooler situation however is weighing on me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #19
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
I think the Dinan solution uses a Setrab oil cooler and provides an easy out of the box resolution to mounting. Other options are CSF (it's for the m3, but should work) and PWR ( http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=684308&page=2 ). You're not dealing the heat of the southwest, so yeah , it's just a question of what do you want to spend and how overboard do you want to go. If you are going to spend Moton MS 3-way money for dampers I like to suggest something different if fast road work is goal. Reiger or Exe-tc tarmac rally dampers. The body control and ride of my friend's Exe-tc equipped GT3 is unbelievable, I'm in the process of trying to convince the boss to allow me to make the change without it costing me a $7000 hand bag.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

7k handbag lmao.... sounds like your wifey, like mine have the same strategy. If we buy, they buy too. I will definitely look into those dampers. They sound perfect. I had always thought a rally style dampner might work well. It does get HOT here in the summer. And I am hesitant to say how hard my car gets driven routinely on the street. I like the ease of the Dinan, but would hate to spend that $ on it and still be in the same boat. If I went ER sport, I could upgrade down the line. What do you guys think of the dinan vs the ER sport cooler?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:36 AM   #21
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
7k handbag lmao.... sounds like your wifey, like mine have the same strategy. If we buy, they buy too. I will definitely look into those dampers. They sound perfect. I had always thought a rally style dampner might work well. It does get HOT here in the summer. And I am hesitant to say how hard my car gets driven routinely on the street. I like the ease of the Dinan, but would hate to spend that $ on it and still be in the same boat. If I went ER sport, I could upgrade down the line. What do you guys think of the dinan vs the ER sport cooler?
Also look into Motorsports24. They have dual oil coolers for the n54 that uses OEM mounting and retains the front ducting for a OEM finish. If that matters to you.
      02-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #22
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Also look into Motorsports24. They have dual oil coolers for the n54 that uses OEM mounting and retains the front ducting for a OEM finish. If that matters to you.
Appreciate 1
Yeineken1299.00