BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Opinions on Widebody Options

I am going to have the rear end on my car widened to accommodate my ER front end and allow me to fit 1M/M3 fitment wheels. Cooler referred me to a shop in LA who has done some work on some e90 board members cars and I am confident they will do a great job on my 135i. I called the shop and got a good price on the conversion.

So here is where I want people to help me out. I want people's opinions on my options. The car already has full m3 suspension and I have a set of HRE R43's that will fit either option. I don't regularly drive the car so time to get all the parts and work done is not a factor.

Option 1: ER front end, 135i custom wide rear end.
- Custom Work and paint to rear side panels, 2x side skirts, rear bumper.
- Parts Required - None

The car in its current state. Option 1 would widen the rear to match the front.

Option 2: Full 1M conversion and custom fenders to match the bumper. I would get the battery tray replaced to fit 1M exhaust. If I go this route however, I likely delete the fender 'vent' and light. The light doesn't work on the conversions. I want the car to look slightly different than a 1M to respect the limited numbers of them on the road.
- Custom Work and paint to rear side panels, paint to Side skirts, front bumper, rear bumper, front fenders.
- Parts Required - 1M bumper, rear bumper, diffuser, side skirts, fender liners, vents, hardware, battery tray, 1M exhaust.
- Parts on car which can be sold to cover costs: ER Widebody AW3, iCarbon Diffuser, iCarbon Lip (uninstalled)

mock up of option 2 (I will try to retain the 135i side markers) :

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
option2 Marco.... oh and btw, i will love your car no matter what option you go with.

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Option 3: Sell 135i, buy 1M. At some point it is actually cheaper. All that body work adds up. Also, the 1M will have much better resale and liquidity than a customized 135i so the actual economics could work out better long term.
      11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
I'd go with option 1 but go to APR and have them make you a custom front splitter for the ER kit. That way you will at least be very unique and no one will have done what you've done.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Option 3: Sell 135i, buy 1M. At some point it is actually cheaper. All that body work adds up. Also, the 1M will have much better resale and liquidity than a customized 135i so the actual economics could work out better long term.
I would love to own an actual 1M but all in all, it would cost me more to get a 1M at this point. My car is fully built and parting out then selling the car would cost me more. Selling my car, parting it out, and purchasing a 1M would cost me around $22k out of pocket + tax. The work I mention will cost around $6k with parts. If I was weighing a stock 1M vs My Car + mod costs before the build, absolutely the 1M would have been cheaper and the way to go.

The re-sale value would be higher on the 1M, and i would have a warranty again, but im not a collector and own this car to enjoy it. I will probably get a E92 m3 in a year or so to join this car, not replace it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I am going to have the rear end on my car widened to accommodate my ER front end and allow me to fit 1M/M3 fitment wheels.
Don't you already have the ER widebody? I remember us both complaining about fitment of the front quarters.

Since I think you already have that, I'd just widen the rear arches. You can already fit 285 rubber in the back and a 10.5" wheel, but the offset is pretty limiting and won't allow the 1M offset.

Good luck, but I think you're crazy. Modding the rear panels is beyond what I'm willing to do as it's not fixable when it's time for re-sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

i'd vote to have custom rear arches to have your own entire custom car, the 1M builds are cool, but they're just all going to look the same in the end, it's nice to have a different car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
My plan is to do a front-end 1M conversion and to leave my rolled fenders on the rear end. I'm already able to fit 265-275 tires on the rear, and I might go for standard 1M-size tires (245) on the front. To complete the aesthetic package, I might go for one of the aftermarket rear bumpers (Kerscher?).

You're welcome to use my idea.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Honestly, option #1 seems much more reasonable. There would also be some ways to make it stand out with some custom made pieces, but all in all, it'll be a lot cheaper, unique, faster, and less of a headache. I can't wait to see what you pull together!

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Glad someone is taking the plunge. Either option 1 or 2 would look great, although option 1 will be cheaper I think.

And this looks interesting also:

http://www.prior-design.de/prior-des...DM1R_announced

Need to see more picks, but looks crazy so far.

BTW, would you mind PM'ing me some of the details on the shop and costs to do the rear? My cars a keeper so resale dosent matter to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Glad someone is taking the plunge. Either option 1 or 2 would look great, although option 1 will be cheaper I think.

BTW, would you mind PM'ing me some of the details on the shop and costs to do the rear? My cars a keeper so resale dosent matter to me.
PM me for pricing and shop info.

I would rather get OEM parts over prior designs stuff.

I'm getting a full estimate on all of the parts for a 1m conversion from a dealer. When I have those numbers I can compare the full costs of either option. I will post my cost breakdowns next week. Hre said my wheels will be done In a week or so, 'e92 lighting' sent me my TPMS, and I have some 285 R-S3's coming next week for my wider rears. I am aiming to have this built by first week of January.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Quote:

I'm getting a full estimate on all of the parts for a 1m conversion from a dealer. When I have those numbers I can compare the full costs of either option. I will post my cost breakdowns next week. Hre said my wheels will be done In a week or so, 'e92 lighting' sent me my TPMS, and I have some 285 R-S3's coming next week for my wider rears. I am aiming to have this built by first week of January.
When I got the estimate from the dealer for parts it came out to $3700, let me know if you can if this is what you got

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Quote:

When I got the estimate from the dealer for parts it came out to $3700, let me know if you can if this is what you got
Will do.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
What are either of you guys doing to change the rear side panels?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=41&fg=25
My car is currently under repair and the OEM tech thinks it's a 7-10k job (parts and labor). Let me know if you know anyone in NorCal who could do this for much less with the panel parts in hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What are either of you guys doing to change the rear side panels?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=41&fg=25
My car is currently under repair and the OEM tech thinks it's a 7-10k job (parts and labor). Let me know if you know anyone in NorCal who could do this for much less with the panel parts in hand.
In SoCal it's about 2500-3k to widen the rear end anyway you want them to.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
In SoCal it's about 2500-3k to widen the rear end anyway you want them to.
OEM widen? (IE replacing the quarters with 1M quarters) and paint matching? I might do this in the next semester if it's only a couple days job at most. (If so, I'd do it in January)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OEM widen? (IE replacing the quarters with 1M quarters) and paint matching? I might do this in the next semester if it's only a couple days job at most. (If so, I'd do it in January)
2500-3k is the quote for them to make a custom rear end widen but if you bring the 1M materials I don't see why they wouldn't just do it with whatever panel you bring them.

Your car would probably be down for a week, not a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
That's awesome! Thanks cooler! 2500 - 3k isn't terrible. I might try to see if they will do it for 2k if I bring the 1M side panels. I only wish that there was a shop up here in NorCal because my car's rear is open and taken apart at a collision center right now waiting for the insurance adjuster to clear all the required parts and finish up paperwork(will happen on Wednesday, so if anyone knows a shop they trust up here to do it right and cheap I can see if this shop will allow me to bring it back to them to finish up the repairs with 1M parts after the quarters have been modified). And if I take it without having them finish up the repair they will take 1K.
Does ilikebmxbikes or any other forum members know of any such shops up here in the Bay Area?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's awesome! Thanks cooler! 2500 - 3k isn't terrible. I might try to see if they will do it for 2k if I bring the 1M side panels. I only wish that there was a shop up here in NorCal because my car's rear is open and taken apart at a collision center right now waiting for the insurance adjuster to clear all the required parts and finish up paperwork(will happen on Wednesday, so if anyone knows a shop they trust up here to do it right and cheap I can see if this shop will allow me to bring it back to them to finish up the repairs with 1M parts after the quarters have been modified). And if I take it without having them finish up the repair they will take 1K.
Does ilikebmxbikes or any other forum members know of any such shops up here in the Bay Area?

I doubt they would go cheaper than the 2500-3k since they would basically be doing mostly labor only with a rear end so it wouldn't help bringing them the panels really. I gave ilikebmx the shop name here in SoCal and they quoted him around 3k I think. They've done some BMW's as well that track so they know what they're doing. I honestly wouldn't trust a place that quotes you anything lower than $2500 unless you have gotten a ton of people who recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442
Quote:
2500-3k is the quote for them to make a custom rear end widen but if you bring the 1M materials I don't see why they wouldn't just do it with whatever panel you bring them.

Your car would probably be down for a week, not a couple days.
Correct, it will be a week at least. I plan on driving the car down and flying home and getting it in a week or so. I am set on a specific shop down there as they have some some work on e90 board guys cars.

I was quoted $3200 to widen my rear. That involved cut and weld fenders, custom work on fenders and bumper with everything paint matched Alpine white 3.

if I go 1m, there will be only custom work on the fenders to match the OEM bumper and side skirts. The additional cost is only in the additional parts and additional paint on the fenders and bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Duplicate post
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Correct, it will be a week at least. I plan on driving the car down and flying home and getting it in a week or so. I am set on a specific shop down there as they have some some work on e90 board guys cars.

I was quoted $3200 to widen my rear. That involved cut and weld fenders, custom work on fenders and bumper with everything paint matched Alpine white 3.

if I go 1m, there will be only custom work on the fenders to match the OEM bumper and side skirts. The additional cost is only in the additional parts and additional paint on the fenders and bumper.
Will this match the rear 1M bumper or are you just widening your car's rear quarter panels? I am a bit confused. Are you going "1M" or merely flaring out the fenderline? Hope I am not bugging you with all these questions but what is your gameplan with widening the rear? Is it merely for looks for a "widened 135i rear" or is it for an "OEM 1M rear" look?
Appreciate 0