BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Buying an iPhone for I-Drive/Prof Navi... Is it worth it or am I kidding myself?

Hi everyone.

I'm getting a 135i with the Professional Nav option. I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on how integrated their mobile phones are with the Prof Nav and Idrive. I really like the new Pro Nav/Idrive and I like the whole concept of having a screen which controls every aspect of the car.

Furthermore, I am considering entering a new mobile phone contract with the possiblity of getting an Iphone. I think the iphone is a great phone and I really love the ability to surf the internet on it. However, the 2 biggest and most annoying problems with it that I can find is its limited battery life and measely 2mp camera!! Ideally I would love a phone that has at least 5mp!!! I have 2mp on my current phone.

However, I am willing to ignore these problems if it means that the iphone is fully integrated with the car with added benefits. I know that there are other integrated phones that will work with the 135i but I know that the iphone is the best. Furthermore, as for the battery problem, if the iphone is fully integrated - i am assuming that it will be connected to the car and therefore charging at all times yeah??

So if anybody could shed some light on:

1. Is it worth getting the iphone simply because the benefits of having it fully intergrated into the car system with Pro Nav is worthwhile?

2. What are specifically the added benefits/luxuries of having an integrated phone such as the iphone in the 135i? eg. voice commands?

3. Is the iphone a reliable phone with handy feature that I will utilise? I love the idea that it is internet ready but if I sign up on the iphone it will be for a 24 month contract so I don't want to be stuck with it if there are much better phones coming out.

Any thoughts anyone??

Also, thanks in advance for your input. Everyone here on 1addicts has been really helpful with helping me make my final decisions.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

The only point I really have to make is that, when it comes to phone integration over bluetooth, all phones that are on the fully supported list are equal.

I have an iPhone and it paired fine with the 135 I test drove, downloaded all the contacts and supported all the usual call/hang-up functions - but the car I drove didn't have any nav at all.

The only difference I can see with pro nav vs no nav is that you don't have a large screen and idrive controller to scroll through your contacts. The touch-sensitive radio buttons you get without nav are a pretty good substitute though.

When it comes down to it, an iPhone won't integrate better or worse than any other phone so using pro nav to justify buying an iphone or vice versa doesn't make a lot of sense.

That said, you won't be disappointed with either - both nav and iPhone are fantastic products!

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

anyone got the iphone?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
PUREPHAZED
Helping thru Design
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Hi the best part of having the iPhone is that you can connect it via the iPod port and you will have access to your music and all your phone needs.

so basically you have everything in one package.

M
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

If you purchase and install a phone cradle, your iphone will charge and use the shark fin antenna.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMX5 View Post
The only point I really have to make is that, when it comes to phone integration over bluetooth, all phones that are on the fully supported list are equal.

I have an iPhone and it paired fine with the 135 I test drove, downloaded all the contacts and supported all the usual call/hang-up functions - but the car I drove didn't have any nav at all.

The only difference I can see with pro nav vs no nav is that you don't have a large screen and idrive controller to scroll through your contacts. The touch-sensitive radio buttons you get without nav are a pretty good substitute though.

When it comes down to it, an iPhone won't integrate better or worse than any other phone so using pro nav to justify buying an iphone or vice versa doesn't make a lot of sense.

That said, you won't be disappointed with either - both nav and iPhone are fantastic products!
I am considering the iphone because I reviewed the current list of compatable phones with the Pro Nav/idrive and the iphone seemed like the most appealing phone. Thanks for letting me know that all the listed phones work well with regards to idrive integration. I'm just stumped because in a few months time I could possibly upgrade to a new phone and chances are that it won't be compatible with idrive. I still don't know what to do. On our other Mercedes the list of compatible phones that could be integrated with the car were all old and outdated. I wonder if there is a way to get any new phone I want and for BMW to integrate it into the car later down the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
If you purchase and install a phone cradle, your iphone will charge and use the shark fin antenna.
What do you mean by this? Does this mean that if I connect my mobile phone to the car I will be charged for using it? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
What do you mean by this? Does this mean that if I connect my mobile phone to the car I will be charged for using it? :iono:
umm no. he means the battery will be charged by the car...

also, are you getting the MY09 idrive? if you are there is a new option 6NF which integrates the USB connection via the Snap in adaptor. Without it, you can't use the ipod in your iphone at the same time as the phone is charging and using the shark fin adaptor.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
chrisyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
anyone got the iphone?
I have the new 3g IPhone. The battery life isn't fantastic, but if your looking at getting bluetooth on the BMW. It will keep it charged in the cradle. Depends on how much you use your iphone. I can get 3+ days out of mine.

Also the camera is 2MP - but to me it doesn't seem like it....i think its a good camera i will try find a picture.

Just bought a app on iphone called dynolicous, it gives you 0-60 stats/1/4mile stats on a run in your car :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyc View Post
I have the new 3g IPhone. The battery life isn't fantastic, but if your looking at getting bluetooth on the BMW. It will keep it charged in the cradle. Depends on how much you use your iphone. I can get 3+ days out of mine.

Also the camera is 2MP - but to me it doesn't seem like it....i think its a good camera i will try find a picture.

Just bought a app on iphone called dynolicous, it gives you 0-60 stats/1/4mile stats on a run in your car :w00t:
Hey thanks for the feedback. I use my phone at least a couple hours a day but I'm hoping that while I'm driving the iphone will at least be charging which is a bonus. I would really appreciate it if you can upload some photos... preferably some photos taken indoors as I find outdoor photos always come out reasonably clear.

As for 0-60 1/4 times - that's awesome!! How does it work?? Does the iphone automatically record the time by sensing movement??
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
chrisyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hey thanks for the feedback. I use my phone at least a couple hours a day but I'm hoping that while I'm driving the iphone will at least be charging which is a bonus. I would really appreciate it if you can upload some photos... preferably some photos taken indoors as I find outdoor photos always come out reasonably clear.

As for 0-60 1/4 times - that's awesome!! How does it work?? Does the iphone automatically record the time by sensing movement??
Yeh the software uses the iphones accelerometer that is built in. Its pretty accurate too...http://dynolicious.com

To see photo's try www.zogy.co.uk/mobile (there is one inside) there are a few pics on there. There not great but for a 2mp camera pretty good. If i really want good quality pics i tend to use a digital camera though...:roundel:

Overall the IPhone is awesome - apple keep adding more features/functions and with the software that company's are developing for it. It will only get better.

I have ordered bluetooth and i will keep my iphone charging on the cradle
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
F31TanzBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 F31

Has anyone see this trackday app?
http://tomatounion.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Yea boi I can't believe you can do that on the iphone!!? I'm sold. That's an awesome function - I am full keen to get that it's everything!!

I think the iphone is the one for me. Thanks for showing me that. I'll probably switch over to mac's all together now.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
chrisyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yea boi I can't believe you can do that on the iphone!!? I'm sold. That's an awesome function - I am full keen to get that it's everything!!

I think the iphone is the one for me. Thanks for showing me that. I'll probably switch over to mac's all together now.
It's the way forward I now have apple everything....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

The iPhone camera sucks because of the way you have to hold the phone and use the touchscreen to take pics.

Quote:
1. Is it worth getting the iphone simply because the benefits of having it fully intergrated into the car system with Pro Nav is worthwhile?
I would call it plug and play, not integrated. The iPhone does nothing special plugged into your car that a flash drive and bluetooth won't do.

Quote:
2. What are specifically the added benefits/luxuries of having an integrated phone such as the iphone in the 135i? eg. voice commands?
None that I know of compared to any other phone that is supported.

Quote:
3. Is the iphone a reliable phone with handy feature that I will utilise? I love the idea that it is internet ready but if I sign up on the iphone it will be for a 24 month contract so I don't want to be stuck with it if there are much better phones coming out.
The iPhone is a great phone and very capable. The problem is 3G network bandwith, which is an AT&T problem and an American commercial satellite infastructure problem (b/c America has a lot of land mass to cover as opposed to, for example, the country with the best 3G network: Japan). 4G telephone networks are still a few years out and the iPhones are updated via software downloads so I wouldnt worry much about going obsolete before getting your money's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyc View Post
It's the way forward I now have apple everything....
I wouldn't bet on it. :wink: Ever try to fix or upgrade an Apple product (any Apple product)?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
The iPhone camera sucks because of the way you have to hold the phone and use the touchscreen to take pics.

I would call it plug and play, not integrated. The iPhone does nothing special plugged into your car that a flash drive and bluetooth won't do.

None that I know of compared to any other phone that is supported.

The iPhone is a great phone and very capable. The problem is 3G network bandwith, which is an AT&T problem and an American commercial satellite infastructure problem (b/c America has a lot of land mass to cover as opposed to, for example, the country with the best 3G network: Japan). 4G telephone networks are still a few years out and the iPhones are updated via software downloads so I wouldnt worry much about going obsolete before getting your money's worth.

I wouldn't bet on it. :wink: Ever try to fix or upgrade an Apple product (any Apple product)?

Hey thanks for your help. When the iphone is in its snap-cradle and the phone rings does it come through the car speakers? Also, I'm thinking the iphone will ultimately suit my needs but I'll probably wait a few more weeks to decide just in case. Is there problems with getting Apple product fixes? I'm new to Apple. I don't know much.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #17
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hey thanks for your help. When the iphone is in its snap-cradle and the phone rings does it come through the car speakers? Also, I'm thinking the iphone will ultimately suit my needs but I'll probably wait a few more weeks to decide just in case. Is there problems with getting Apple product fixes? I'm new to Apple. I don't know much.
It's got bluetooth - even if you have the phone just on you the sound will come over the speakers while the car is on, then when you plug it in the same thing happens over the cable instead.

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
chrisyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I have never had any problems with my iphones they seems to be pretty good..... Whereas macs/laptops etc never had any problems myself.

Although my cousin did have a hard drive failure couple weeks ago and that was sorted within day in local apple shop. Other than that i have alot of apple products and had no problems.:smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Also, I'm thinking the iphone will ultimately suit my needs but I'll probably wait a few more weeks to decide just in case. Is there problems with getting Apple product fixes? I'm new to Apple. I don't know much.
The problem with Apple is that only Apple parts work, and since its very hard to get Apple parts, you have to go to Apple to get anything fixed. Personally I think competition and variety is a good thing. No competition = price gouging.

So.. I'd recommend getting the extra warranty if you get an iPhone. I forget what its called (iPlan?) but its pretty cheap. My iPhone just stopped working one day. I took it in and got a new one in about 45mins. The guy at the Apple store said replacing any of the parts (outside of the extra warranty) would be more expensive then getting a new phone...

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #20
EmeraldRx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you plug it into the cradle, can you use the ipod function?

1987 Corvette Convertible-29k mi
1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
2008 Nissan Armada (wifes)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #21
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldRx View Post
If you plug it into the cradle, can you use the ipod function?
See my post above. You need to purchase an extra option if you want to use cradle and IPOD function at the same time.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #22
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

I have the iPhone 3g, while connecting it via usb ipod adapter under armrest it works fine (you can listen to music form its ipod part but still have it connected via bluetooth so whenever the call comes you will hear it in speakers).

My question is if the ipod cradle/snap in adaptor for the previous iPhone will work with my new iPhone 3G? I mean, will it charge it? Because i don't have the Smartphone integration so the iPod function won't work. There is an issue of size difference...