BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Besh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Too loud?

Hi Bimmer Addicts,

I'm about to order a Maddad Midpipe and I have a question. I currently have a axelback Maddad street series and someone told me it will be to loud if I add that midpipe. I have no plan to put a DP.

I watched alot of video on youtube but no one is running that set up. With all the knowledge on that site I guess someone have answer or the same set up and can tell me if it's going to be too loud for a DD.

Thank you guys

Eric
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besh
Hi Bimmer Addicts,

I'm about to order a Maddad Midpipe and I have a question. I currently have a axelback Maddad street series and someone told me it will be to loud if I add that midpipe. I have no plan to put a DP.

I watched alot of video on youtube but no one is running that set up. With all the knowledge on that site I guess someone have answer or the same set up and can tell me if it's going to be too loud for a DD.

Thank you guys

Eric
Not too sure if I can offer any shred of help with this Info, but I have the agency power midpipes which are larger slightly in diameter than the stock pipes, as well as they remove the secondary cats. I also have the berk street back axle back as well. With my stock downpipes in, I absolutely love how elegantly Aggressive the car sounds. Quiet at low rpms, but can scream when WOT

With catless downpipes in, the sound is definitely amplified and introduces the slightest bit of drone. Nothing you can't ignore, for my personal taste, but exhaust sound is different for everyone in terms of opinion. I'd have to say if you are not getting downpipes, there will be no reason not to enjoy the sounds your set up provides but if you go with catless downpipes, there may be a slight chance you don't like it depending on how you define drone. I love my set up regardless both catless and catted, I spent nearly $2500 with different exhaust set ups trying to get the sound I wanted. I finally found with with this set up.

I hope this helps!

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
catless DP w/ no res mids and no muffler is loud... the rest is tame in my book haha

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep
Drives: N54 135i / VO 1M

I'm currently running 3" straight midpipe and the Maddad street series exhaust. It's sick. It is loud but I got used to it. Everyone that hears it loves it. Do it. Tame and throaty at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

I'm running N55 Mids and a berk Race back.. Loud but different.. Real gurglly and "pops" a lot. I like it but I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the done. Drone does decrease by 40% when the exhaust is warm.
      02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

If you keep the stock dp it should sound great without worry about being too loud. Catless dp and it becomes a matter of how loud is too loud for your taste.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Besh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Awesome!

Thank you for your answers guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
With stock DP you will be fine. It will be slightly louder than your axelback only set up and hold much of the same tone. Adding some catless DP you will alter tone more radically and have a real increase in sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besh
Hi Bimmer Addicts,

Thank you guys

Eric
Not too sure if I can offer any shred of help with this Info, but I have the agency power midpipes which are larger slightly in diameter than the stock pipes, as well as they remove the secondary cats. I also have the berk street back axle back as well. With my stock downpipes in, I absolutely love how elegantly Aggressive the car sounds. Quiet at low rpms, but can scream when WOT

With catless downpipes in, the sound is definitely amplified and introduces the slightest bit of drone. Nothing you can't ignore, for my personal taste, but exhaust sound is different for everyone in terms of opinion. I'd have to say if you are not getting downpipes, there will be no reason not to enjoy the sounds your set up provides but if you go with catless downpipes, there may be a slight chance you don't like it depending on how you define drone. I love my set up regardless both catless and catted, I spent nearly $2500 with different exhaust set ups trying to get the sound I wanted. I finally found with with this set up.

I hope this helps!
How do you like the berk unit? He is a buddy of mine and im gonna weasle my way for a free one lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Exite
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

For exhaust I have n55 mid pipe on a n54 and berk race axel back; so it can get loud. I don't think my setup is too loud, however it depends on how I drive. I can drive the car in a way that is quiet. Drone seems to occur around 2k rpm, 2.5k rpm, 3k+ rpm. Cruising at 75mph my car is fairly quiet, however cruising at 80mph it drones.

Reminds me of my rsx-s with injen cai, race header and apexi n1 catback. Thing had no cats and it spit fire WOT at any shift past 7krpm, and was loud as shit but 80mph(4k rpm or so) cruising on the freeway it was so quiet I could barely hear the engine.

I guess my point is that the maddad setup is pretty quiet compared to what I have and at most cruise rpms it will sound like stock. So don't worry about added noise just doo etttt.
Appreciate 0