BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Does the Performance Power Kit really Kill Launch Control?

I was getting close to buying the Performance Power Kit for my 2011 DCT until I read in another thread that it removed launch control. I've only used the launch control a couple times to try it, but it's just plain wrong for them to remove a feature of the car as part of an "upgrade" that the customer buys for $900 installed. At least 2 people in the other thread said this was the case and no one disputed it, but I wanted to ask again before I give up on the PPK. Is this really the case?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Robink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT Sport

Would love to hear the answer to this one too. Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I was getting close to buying the Performance Power Kit for my 2011 DCT until I read in another thread that it removed launch control. I've only used the launch control a couple times to try it, but it's just plain wrong for them to remove a feature of the car as part of an "upgrade" that the customer buys for $900 installed. At least 2 people in the other thread said this was the case and no one disputed it, but I wanted to ask again before I give up on the PPK. Is this really the case?
Given how some people have experienced issues with LC after running non-factory flash maps................. BMW disabling LC with their own factory PPK therefore wouldn't surprise me.......
I would however expect BMW to have written an appropriate matching program for the DCT software to go with the PPK, so as not to have to disable LC if that is the reason.

There are upgrade maps from aftermarket tuners for the VAG DSG gearboxes to match aftermarket engine ECU tunes.....
      11-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Can you post the link?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT, Sport/PremPkg)

I am one of the people that lost LC after the PPK upgrade on the 135i N55. My *guess* is that they have to retune the LC to work with the increased power so maybe BMW decided to save some development costs and just disable it. Like I mentioned in that other thread LC doesn't bother me as I find I can launch the car just as effectively without it. And honestly without better tires over the stock rfts with or without LC you get extremely similar results

[Edit] I too am curious if others can confirm their DCT LC unavailability after PPK installation. Either it really does get disabled or something went wrong while they installed my PPK which would be nice to know
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 View Post
I too am curious if others can confirm their DCT LC unavailability after PPK installation. Either it really does get disabled or something went wrong while they installed my PPK which would be nice to know
That's one of the things I was wondering about. Was it just a fluke for a couple people or does it intentionally disable it by design? If they do it on purpose it seems to me that they would be required to tell people, since they are removing a feature of the car that is documatented in the owner's manual.

I asked my service advisor (a new one who is actually very helpfull) about this and he said they haven't installed one yet so he has no feedback from buyers. I was a little surprised to hear that since it's a big dealer. I wonder how many PPK's have been sold in the USA. I might need to buy one to restore my car's performance after today. They are replacing my radio and told me as part of that procedure they need to attach my car to the reprogramming machine and it will apply all outstanding updates whether I want them to or not. There were several for the engine and transmission, so I've got to wonder how much it will be changed.

Last edited by Lee123; 11-17-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
As someone who has LCed a full bolt on car 10+ times, let me tell you that LC is not that effective once you add power.

My car will fishtail alot of first gear while using LC due to all the added power. But it is still the best way to launch our cars since if I don't LC then I will fish tail all of first gear or then I have to ease into it and when I hit 2nd then floor it.

So most likely that is why they disabled LC.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
As someone who has LCed a full bolt on car 10+ times, let me tell you that LC is not that effective once you add power.

My car will fishtail alot of first gear while using LC due to all the added power. But it is still the best way to launch our cars since if I don't LC then I will fish tail all of first gear or then I have to ease into it and when I hit 2nd then floor it.

Makes sense and no disagreement with what you say, but to act as Lee123's advocate here, he is asking for people that *already have the PPK* to confirm or dispute the observation that LC disappears after ppk installation, not for speculation as to why it might or might not have been removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post

Perhaps you are right, but I was really more interested in finding out if they actually did disable it rather than why they might have done it if they did. Regardless of the reason, if they intentionally disabled it as part of the upgrade, BMW has a responsibility to tell people in advance before doing it to their car. I know, BMW doesn't see it that way. They think the cars still belong to them and we're just using them, but since I bought mine instead of leasing I have a problem with that. In this case nobody seems to know if the PPK disables launch control except the people that have had it installed, and they aren't saying.

Unfortunately, this probably doesn't matter much for me anymore. Today is the fourth day the dealer has had my car attempting to get the new radio programmed. They installed the radio in a few hours Tuesday afternoon and they have been trying to get the programming done ever since. They tell me it's BMW's fault, not theirs. Either way, it sure doesn't make me want to take the car back again for anything I can avoid.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Unfortunately, this probably doesn't matter much for me anymore. Today is the fourth day the dealer has had my car attempting to get the new radio programmed. They installed the radio in a few hours Tuesday afternoon and they have been trying to get the programming done ever since. They tell me it's BMW's fault, not theirs. Either way, it sure doesn't make me want to take the car back again for anything I can avoid.
I've had pretty bad experience with BMW service as well. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got the car back a couple hours after I posted that. I guess, as my folks used to say, "all's well that ends well." The service director called and gave me a reasonable explanation for the delays and the new radio is a vast improvement. The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the cumulative upgrades that they were required to apply to program the new radio have removed a bit of performance from the car. It takes a bit more peddle to get the same acceleration in any gear. I'm still happy with the car and considering the PPK even more now.

Last edited by Lee123; 11-19-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Hans09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 135i

Bump... It appears that nobody seems to know if the PPK is supposed to remove the LC or not. I still am set on getting this tune before the end of the year and discount is up but I would be sad if my LC is gone. I have yet to use it (only have had the car for 1 month) but I purchased a car with LC and I believe BMW has the responsibility to tell us whether we will lose LC if we purchase their tune upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

im interested in this too, have the install scheduled for this friday AM....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I'm more interested in seeing if they actually double the price of the PPK on 1/1. I can't see anyone purchasing it at that price.
      12-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans09 View Post
Bump... It appears that nobody seems to know if the PPK is supposed to remove the LC or not. I still am set on getting this tune before the end of the year and discount is up but I would be sad if my LC is gone. I have yet to use it (only have had the car for 1 month) but I purchased a car with LC and I believe BMW has the responsibility to tell us whether we will lose LC if we purchase their tune upgrade.
Why will you be sad if you haven't used it? As others have said it's a cool feature, but once you do it once or twice the novelty wears off and you'll probably never use it again. I know I got my best times at the track without it. Also I'm having too much fun just launching the car myself, sport button, manual mode (for us DCT guys) and DTC is all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I'm more interested in seeing if they actually double the price of the PPK on 1/1. I can't see anyone purchasing it at that price.
Yeah it was really a good deal, especially for those of us who got it close to 600 installed. At 1200 it's typical overpriced bmw service work. I would imagine some dealers will still negotiate on price.
      12-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
gwhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport

I just got my ppk stage 1 done a couple weeks ago and my LC is working just fine, although I do seem to get much more wheel spin now so it may not be the fastest way to launch anymore.
      12-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #17
Hans09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
I just got my ppk stage 1 done a couple weeks ago and my LC is working just fine, although I do seem to get much more wheel spin now so it may not be the fastest way to launch anymore.
That's good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Why will you be sad if you haven't used it? As others have said it's a cool feature, but once you do it once or twice the novelty wears off and you'll probably never use it again. I know I got my best times at the track without it. Also I'm having too much fun just launching the car myself, sport button, manual mode (for us DCT guys) and DTC is all you need.
I know lame me... just wanted to be able to say my car has launch control. Finally put in enough miles and the car allowed me to do launch control tonight. It was fun! So it would be nice if it didn't go away but if it does then well I still take overall improved performance over the LC. My appointment is set for tomorrow 12/21 at Valencia BMW... quoted $670 out the door. Christmas present to me
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

A little off topic but how do you launch the car with the dct? What do you do to activate lc and if you don't use it then how are you launching the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
That question is answered: YES.

What about the LC question?
One guy says it doesn't work.
One guy says it works.
Can we have some consensus?

Last edited by MPBK; 01-05-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
JeremyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I ordered my 2012 135i with PPK and my Launch Control doesnt work.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN55 View Post
I ordered my 2012 135i with PPK and my Launch Control doesnt work.
How many miles on your car? It only activates after the break-in period. You may already realize that...but just in case...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

If BMW really disactivates the LC then that's a BIG shame on them. The excuse "there is more power so the car will fishtail and it won't work properly" is bullsh*t. They know the power curve of their own engine, they adjust the LC accordingly.

My guess is that the BMW Launch Control really isn't a "Launch Control". All it does is allowing you to start the car at 3500 RPM and go, but AFAIK there is no control of the power after that. On my stock 135i with used tires I would spin at the beginning of 2nd and the DTC would simply shift up to 2nd and instantly to 3rd ruining the launch, instead of releasing the throttle to regain traction.

Now without LC the DTC car really sucks to launch. There is a DIY on this forum but it doesn't work for me, so I'm really interested to have some confirmation on this as well since I'm planning to upgrade power.
Appreciate 0