BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Vi4Life
Rep
Drives: looking for one

auto vs manual

which to get manual or auto!? I have driven both but I'm stuck in the middle what do you guys have a and what is your take!?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

First of all, this is a completely personal decision, not sure how any of us could help you with that.

Honestly, I have no idea how someone could be stuck in the middle on this. Either you like driving a manual, or you don't. Really not sure how one could like both.

I've personally driven manuals all my life, and as long as they make vehicles with clutches of any kind (yes, DCT counts), I will never own a vehicle with an automatic.

If you want to actually feel the power that your car has and wield it with precision, get a manual. If you need a hand free to drink a coffee on your morning commute and otherwise hate driving, get an automatic
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Vi4Life
Rep
Drives: looking for one

I drove both and I was impressed by both the auto quick can you put more power on the manual
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi4Life View Post
I drove both and I was impressed by both the auto quick can you put more power on the manual
With the 135 it makes no difference. The engine runs out of fuel capacity before either transmissions power limit is even remotely in reach.

So don't base your decision on that.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I've driven both and here's my experience:

1st - 98 Integra LS w/Drag 3 turbo kit auto (wish it was manual cause the tranny couldnt hold the power)

2nd - 2005 RSX type S Manual (wouldn't have it any other way because it's a vtech DOHC Honda engine that loves revving)

3rd - Mazda RX8 manual (bad experience here with the transmission not shifting smoothly during spirited driving)

4th - Honda Fit manual (recession car with a lot of room, fuel efficient, could have bought auto but planned on auto crossing so I decide manual)

5th - 2008 135i auto (bought it used was looking for a manual, ended up with auto and must say I enjoy it because the paddle shifting works well and the transmission does a good job of delivering the power, also I live in Miami where the roads are dead straight so not much fun to be had with a manual unless I track the car and I'm almost positive there's a small percentage if any of people that can shift faster or smoother in a manual than I can in an auto.. So if you plan to drag race or straight line race, responsibly of course then go auto, if you wanna auto cross or have access to winding roads go manual)

Those are my 2 cents, hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

get the one you like driving more

i loved my friends 2009 6mt 135i, but i love my DCT 135 more. its truly an incredible transmission.

that said, for me personally, id chose the 6mt over the standard auto.

but at the end of the day, its about what you like driving more.
      07-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
ccdigmann
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i Step N54

DCT is very fast, but I preffer the Auto because of the N54 engine. I could´nt find a DCT with N54. If you will stay stock I´d choose the DCT over the manual. IMHO
      07-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have an 08 135i auto. Recently a friend of mine purchased a 2001 2.0 VW beetle 5 speed. I can't believe how much fun it is to drive even with 200% less horse power then im use to. i still don't know if i would want a manual for my DD as i am spoiled by the laziness that comes with driving Auto for 10 years.

i definitely get back into my car and miss the sensation of clutching and shifting though
      07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
I drove a 2012 135i with the DCT and was impressed with how quickly it responded and how the sport modes were faster than I could ever shift a manual. I, however, ended up getting a 2012 with the 6M with M sport package and have had it for about 6 weeks. I am very happy I got the manual. Although I am sure the DCT can shift faster, I really enjoy the 6M. It shifts smoothly, the clutch take up is so easy and smooth and I just feel more involved in the driving experience than I did with the DCT. I really feel I made the right choice and completely love the car in general. I am on car #35 and it is up there with the best, most fun car I have ever owned. Either DCT or 6M is a good choice but my vote goes with the 6M. Have fun with whichever you choose.
      07-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Have driven manuals all my life and love the involvement, particularly heel and toeing. Recently bought a 2011 dct and love it , cos it's faster, and I get an extra gear. Never drive it in auto but my kids and girlfriend does.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdigmann View Post
DCT is very fast, but I preffer the Auto because of the N54 engine. I could´nt find a DCT with N54.
Agreed. I bought one of the last 2010's coming into the country because I preferred the 54 over the 55.
I havent driven a DCT equipped car yet and I understand its a great piece of engineering but I really dont feel the Steptronic gives up to much performance. It actually shifts quite fast and puts the power down nicely.
Had the PPK installed on my car and it gets a boost of 32ft lbs, 15 more ft lbs than the DCT cars get. Dont understand why that is but Im pleased with the extra power bump. The Step is a stout transmission, I havent heard of many failures with high powered cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'm not sure why someone can't understand liking both.

I like manuals. I own manuals. It took a great deal of debate and several test drives, but I ultimately decided to go with the auto for this particular car.

I bought this car specifically with tracking in mind. With the faster shifting speed, I decided this would be the one to have.
      07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I have the DCT and if I had to do it again, I would get the manual. The DCT shifts super quick and is fun but it gets confused sometimes and when it does there is substantial lag. The cool thing about manuals is that the car is always in the gear you want and it doesn't have to guess which gear you want when you make your next shift.
      07-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

The take rate on 1 and 3 series BMW's with manual transmissions is slightly less than 10%. Someone published the stats here a while ago. When it comes to active forum members manual transmission drivers are close to, or are in the majority. It is personal, and don't let the above numbers sway you.

For track (except drag racing) manual is better as it offers total control.
For driving in city traffic an automatic will not wear you out.
Residual value of an automatic is about $900 higher after 3 years, but the auto only costs $450
EPA mileage for the manual is about 10% better, but I doubt this advantage will ever be realized in city driving because the EPA test assumes shifting to 6th gear at relatively low speeds. I don't drive a manual that way, and I doubt many around here do.

The lag issue some complain about in the DCT is totally overblown. Even when the DCT gets fooled (and that is not very often) it shifts faster than all but the best drivers. The DCT does offer a nice manual shift mode. However, it will upshift on its own at redline. This is nice for drag racing, but not optimum for some driving styles on the track.
      07-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I have the DCT and if I had to do it again, I would get the manual. The DCT shifts super quick and is fun but it gets confused sometimes and when it does there is substantial lag. The cool thing about manuals is that the car is always in the gear you want and it doesn't have to guess which gear you want when you make your next shift.
The "confusion/lag" issue was fixed for me after I installed the performance exhaust. No idea why, might have been a software issue but I don't think they reprogrammed my car after that. Others have said the PPK also fixed that problem, so I assumed this was due to turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
For track (except drag racing) manual is better as it offers total control.
For driving in city traffic an automatic will not wear you out.
Residual value of an automatic is about $900 higher after 3 years, but the auto only costs $450
EPA mileage for the manual is about 10% better, but I doubt this advantage will ever be realized in city driving because the EPA test assumes shifting to 6th gear at relatively low speeds. I don't drive a manual that way, and I doubt many around here do.

The lag issue some complain about in the DCT is totally overblown. Even when the DCT gets fooled (and that is not very often) it shifts faster than all but the best drivers. The DCT does offer a nice manual shift mode. However, it will upshift on its own at redline. This is nice for drag racing, but not optimum for some driving styles on the track.
I agree with everything except maybe track driving, this is where I think the DCT truly shines. It does removes that raw feeling a manual gives you, but boy is it fun to drive it hard!

Also, I'd like to point out that DCT makes an awesome sound when shifting up on heavy load (like a little explosion), even better with the performance exhaust. And the rev-matching when downshifting sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The feeling of satisfaction you get for stringing together a series of perfect heel-toe downshifts around a lap of the track beats any extra speed you gain from autos.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

: this most definitely +1
Appreciate 0