BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
KathyFG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i coupe 6MT

Moving to Colorado in May

Hey everyone:

I will be moving to Colorado (from Florida) in May. Have been trying to get this transfer for a while, and it finally came through. REALLY looking forward to it. Will be working in Englewood, near Denver. South Florida has gotten real old.

Anyway, I have a 128i 6MT. Can others recommend a winter tire, for when I have to switch out wheels/tires? I know Tire Rack has some good packages. A friend of mine who used to live out in Denver also recommended putting sandbags in the trunk in the winter to get more weight over the rear wheels- what do you think?

Also, I had been planning to get some tint here in Florida before I head out there. If anyone knows the % allowed in Colorado, please let me know.

Thanks, and I hope to see you on the road out there real soon.

Kathy G
AW 128i 6MT, black 'ette, sport package, xenons
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

I have Blizzaks on my car and they are great. I don't really see a need to put sandbags in your trunk unless you are driving in deep snow. CDOT generally gets rid of the snow pretty well; the snow never stays on the road for over 12 hours.

I believe the legal limit for tint is 27%.

See you in May!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I am fairly sure that the legal limit is 20%. I have 5% and I never really get hassled. Although, I did get one ticket from an asshole cop one time.
      01-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Congrats on the move! I'm originally from Kendall, down in Miami. Snow's not bad here, especially with CDOT cleaning it up, like Atomik said.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

I was told two weeks ago getting my winter car tinted that 20% tint is legal on the rear windows as long as the passenger/driver windows are clear (which is why dealerships do it). If not, its 35% all the way around to satisfy the law. That being said, i never run my tint within that suggestion and have never been hassled...(knocks on wood)

This is coming from one of the best tint shops in denver, but still wasnt quoting any legal code, so who knows.

you will love CO! People rarely move away
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

http://www.tintshops.com/coloradofull.htm

I know this is not an official State of Colorado website, but the website says they copied it straight from the statutes. Look at (1)(a) to be specific.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
jeffgingras
1addict
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i3

Here is a link to a post on my winter setup, which I am extremely satisfied with: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220863

Hasn't been a snow day yet in the last two winters where I wasn't able to get around with relative ease. Definitely no need for sandbags whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomiK View Post
http://www.tintshops.com/coloradofull.htm

I know this is not an official State of Colorado website, but the website says they copied it straight from the statutes. Look at (1)(a) to be specific.
Yea thats pretty similar to what I was told...I think I was told 35% because they only offer 20 and 35% tints, so 27% isnt an option they mention.

Basically do what you want to the rear windows as long as its not darker than 27% and leave your front windows/windshield almost clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
KathyFG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i coupe 6MT

From the OP here- THANKS a bunch guys for the good info.

As my winter driving skills are pretty non-existent (coming from south Florida) and I LOVE my 1er (named "Otto"), I want to make sure I can make it safely to/from work. I will prob wait till the fall and order winter wheel/tire setup from Gill at Tire Rack.

I was planning on 35% for the tint, so looks like that is OK in Colorado.

Thanks again, and see ya out there on the road- I cannot WAIT to get to Colorado !!!

Kathy G
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyFG View Post
From the OP here- THANKS a bunch guys for the good info.

As my winter driving skills are pretty non-existent (coming from south Florida) and I LOVE my 1er (named "Otto"), I want to make sure I can make it safely to/from work. I will prob wait till the fall and order winter wheel/tire setup from Gill at Tire Rack.

I was planning on 35% for the tint, so looks like that is OK in Colorado.

Thanks again, and see ya out there on the road- I cannot WAIT to get to Colorado !!!

Kathy G
Make sure you get ceramic tint to, just incase you were not aware. It has much better heat reducing ability. 3M has some "nano-tech" tint that is supposed to be rather good too.

I have Dunlop Winter Sport m3's and they are pretty darn good. Enjoy CO and the beautiful drives that it will offer you.

You might want to take a performance driving class that works on a wet skid pad and things like that to help with the winter driving too.