BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Q's before purchasing a 135i

Hi guys,

Registered a day or two ago since I am looking at possibly purchasing the 135i in the next few months! Hoping to pick the brain the resident gurus here .

1. Is the professional system or loudspeaker upgrades worth the price? I wouldn't normally bother with things like this with a non-European car and get an aftermarket system installed, but I would imagine this would be somewhat difficult for the 135i? Or does anyone have any recommendations for shops in Melbourne to do installs on their Beemers? Same deal with the GPS.

2. I am planning to test drive the car this weekend, probably at BMW Melbourne. They don't have a manual for me to drive though. For those that have driven both, are there much differences in how the car pulls?

3. Pending responses from (1), I am probably only looking to have the sunroof as the only option and get them to chuck in aluminum pedals. Any ideas of how much I can push the price down?

Thanks for any advise given, and hope to officially join the ranks soon .
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
As there is a line up to get them, I can't imagine the price having too much flexibility.
      08-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
While i was looking at the 135i early on (i didn't go with it due to insurance costs as i'm under 25), the original dealer said with the 135i there is a fair bit more difference between the AT than the MT - he much preferred the MT.

Instead of getting them to push the price down, see if you can get a discount on the sunroof.

Good luck, you certainly won't be disappointed!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Hi guys,

Registered a day or two ago since I am looking at possibly purchasing the 135i in the next few months! Hoping to pick the brain the resident gurus here .

1. Is the professional system or loudspeaker upgrades worth the price? I wouldn't normally bother with things like this with a non-European car and get an aftermarket system installed, but I would imagine this would be somewhat difficult for the 135i? Or does anyone have any recommendations for shops in Melbourne to do installs on their Beemers? Same deal with the GPS.

2. I am planning to test drive the car this weekend, probably at BMW Melbourne. They don't have a manual for me to drive though. For those that have driven both, are there much differences in how the car pulls?

3. Pending responses from (1), I am probably only looking to have the sunroof as the only option and get them to chuck in aluminum pedals. Any ideas of how much I can push the price down?

1. I opted for the standard radio as I'm not that into my music and find the standard system to be more than adequate than most other cars. best thing to do is listen to both at the show room if you can. I'm sure there will be cars with both options on the floor...

2. I also got my car from BMW Melbourne. It was tough to find a MT but they managed to source a second hand one for me to drive from their kings way dealership. I honestly don't think there is much difference between the 2 boxes in terms of how the car 'pulls'. The 0-100 times are almost identical?

3. Pricing may be dependent on supply etc and probably if you want an 2009 or 2010 built model.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Welcome Liub,
I drove both the manual and auto before buying and I actually found I was quicker in the auto. Even tho the 0-100km time in the manual is 0.1 sec quicker any mug can drive an auto but I suspect you need to be pretty handy with the manual gear box to out accelerate the auto. The auto box in the 135 is different from the 125. I have always driven manuals until I bought the 135 and I have been very pleased with the Auto. I considered an aftermarket stereo but I couldn't see how you could neatly integrate it into the dash so I chose to upgrade the stereo and add prof NAV and I am happy I did.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

1. Agree with fatboy.

2. I have driven both. I like the auto in normal traffic but I think you need a short shifter for the manual - the flow is a tad long. Both are very good gear boxes. In terms of pull, you can launch it with manual and you can't in auto, but lots of pull alright.

3. Price wise you have to speak to dealer representative. I go there quite a lot for different reason and yeah... you can have a few discount here and there. But don't buy stuff you can fit later on - save on LCT!
      08-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Taka's right, and they will probably tell you to fit the retro-fit stuff after you buy the car due to LCT.

Let me know how much they want for alum pedals as i totally forgot about this.

I managed to drive both at BMW Melbourne and like others found I was more competent in the steptronic (Though i sucked at the paddles, will take a bit of practice).

My advice is don't finick with the electronics too much. They only want an excuse to mess with your warranty!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Hi guys,

Welcome to the forums. You'll find everything you need to know about the 135i here.

1. There are 2 upgrades for the speakers. The $1k option and the $2k option. Members from the US will tell you the stock sound system is more than adequate but the US spec 135i has the $1k option standard. Hence, the US only have the Logic 7 option which is our $2k option. I went with the $1k option and I am very pleased with the sound quality and for the price I don't think you can go wrong. I've fitted plenty of aftermarket systems in previous cars but I didn't want to go through that again and I prefer the clean stock look. Many members will tell you that there isn't much difference between the $1k and $2k option but of course the more expensive Logic 7 is better, but in my opinion it wasn't worth the extra money. I recommend going with the $1k option and putting that money towards Comfort Access. Oh and in my opinion the stock sound system in the Aussie spec cars is terrible..

2. There isn't much difference in how the 2 cars pulls manual v auto. The automatic transmission is flawless, you will be hard-pressed to notice the difference between this transmission and the dual clutch which most newer sports cars are coming out with. They both pull equally hard. If you plan to drag your car stick with the automatic, you will pull better times all day long. It's a fact. All the fastest runs are done with an automatic and it's very responsive. Of course if you consider yourself an awesome manual driver stick with manual. If you are coming from a manual car you may find no replacement for the fun-factor in driving a true manual with a DIY clutch but each to their own. Mind you the paddle shifters in the auto 135i are great fun. I went with the auto and most members on here will put forward that their transmission is the best.

3. The sunroof is a good option but keep in mind you have to pay LCT on top of this. As for the aluminum pedals, some members on here have been quoted up to $400 which IMHO is a waste of money. Also, this option can be added to the car later down the track once you have taken delivery and you can bargain at that time and avoid the extra LCT which works outs to be quite hefty. If your dealer is looking out for you he will recommend this route as well unless you can manage to use it as a bargaining chip to get him to throw it for free. The only other option I can recommend is Comfort Access, once you have it you can't live without it. It's worth the money. Also, the Pro Nav has been updated across all BMW's worldwide for the 2009 build. It's definitely a much better system and it is very well integrated into the car and is miles ahead of the old system. Ask the dealer if you can have a play around on a demo.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Welcome Liub..

1.I went with the standard stereo as it was sufficient for my needs..But this will be a personal taste issue for yourself to decide...

2.Have driven both and like most have said it depends on your ability/expertise in a MT. The auto is fun to drive, but the MT I found was more responsive and in such a small car, really gave you the driving experience BMW brags about.

3.GOOD LUCK with the negotations... Comfort Access is a must and so is the upgraded Pro Nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys,

G'day mate and welcome,

1) Speaker upgrade at a minimum, full system if you're a real audiophile. I have the 10-spkr Hi-Fi system and like my music, and I find this very good compared to the standard speakers I've heard in my mates 120i.

2) Have driven both, bought the MT as I prefer it. No issue with the AT "pulling" less.

3) Good luck here, as a previous poster said these cars are in demand so not too much room to negotiate. If you can get 5-10% off you're doing well IMO.

Best of luck and prepare for the agony that is the waiting period before delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

a non metallic 135i with no options apart from a sunroof in auto was 80k drive away last year, well mine was anyway.

don't bother with the stereo as youll want to hear the motor
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Haha sorry to thread jack but I couldn't help but notice mattyv and I both joined 1addicts in july 08, drive a 135i and have pretty much the same number of posts! thats random!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Thanks for all the replies guys! Am hoping to go down to the dealer again for them to write up a quote for me, and also see if there's any incoming cars I can just grab without having to order. Not planning to test drive tonight though, peak hour + hazardous winds in Melbourne tonight = no no.

Any more responses or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Hi guys,

Hi Liub

Welcome to the forum.

1. I have done comparisons on previous threads - at the end it's a personal preference - you pay $2000, for a equivalent of $1200 system, $800 for integration. However, unless the installer of the aftermaket system knows what they are doing, you won't get the sound that balanced. Resolution is probably not as good as an aftermarket that cost the same, but staging is good.

2. Auto pulls better, and shifts faster than any normal person would because of the different ratios. It is the best auto box I have ever driven, and it's not the same as the 125i. Still a personal preference as if you like to shift, then it's the manaul. If you are after performance - the auto is quicker. I have a manaul, and since then I've learnt heel-toe, heel-toe double clutching, and now I can perform these at will good fun. (Except in traffic which is rare on the Sunshine Coast).

3. The dealers here might not agree or laugh at me - but, they get about 10% margin on options and car. They have allowance for different things though. Recently there was some really hot deals being talked about on the forum, but you've done well if you can get 8% off list. You know predelivery is not worth $5k in labour or knowledge, and I think margin is fair game. If you found one which is in the show room - you can always get a better deal as after 1 month, it will start to cost them interest.

Most have been discussed in the forums previously, and as someone used to tell me - try the search function.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #15
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
If you are willing to pick up a car they have in stock then there is much more room to negotiate. I managed to get the 135i conv I wanted with all the options on my list apart from comfort access and they knocked off 10k. Brand new, 11km on the clock.
Appreciate 0