E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > power front seats on 325 or now???? HELP!

05-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

Smile power front seats on 325 or no???? HELP!

hi everyone!

I will be ordering 06 325 ZSP, Alpine White, 6 SPD, Black leather'ette , Xenon adaptive headlights for sure. But I am debating whether I should get power front seats sense they are sports seats I wouldnt mind adjusting them manually, I dont see the point of paying 1000 bucks for power front seats. Just want to know ur opinions and what are you guys getting for ur 325!, Will it kill resale Value???

thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by apme123; 05-14-2005 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
No, I don't think power seats will be a big deal on resale value, either if you have or don't have for a 325i. I have come across the same problem, and for me the answer was simple - since I am going to be the one driving the new e90 (basically all the time), I would not opt for the power seats and would rather spend the money on something more useful to me. I figured, I can adjust it manually myself and get the perfect position for me. Then what would I need the power seats for? It's not like I would be tweaking it everytime I got in. If you are going to share the car with someone, then the power seats I would imagine are going to be very useful, because you can memorize different seating configurations.

Also, another issue I've had to tackle is the premium package... because mainly you get 1)Leather, 2)Power Seats, 3)BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth, and a few other extras. If you wanted at least 2 of the main 3 options, I think it better to just go with the premium package. For me, if I get a 325i, I have to get the Sport, the Xenons, and the Assist for Bluetooth. Sure, the power seats would be nice, along with the leather and the extra goodies like folding mirrors, garage door opener, auto dimming mirrors, and compass. However, I've come to the conclusion those are a "really nice to have" and not really a "if I don't get it I'll always regret it" feature.

Others, please share your internal dilemmas when choosing your e90. I'm sure we can all enjoy these issues because we've spent so much time obsessing over them!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i

Power seats were a tough call for me. What are they? $900? That's a lot for something BMW should make standard, IMO.

I went with sport package and no power seats. Not worried about the resale.
      05-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC
Power seats were a tough call for me. What are they? $900? That's a lot for something BMW should make standard, IMO.

I went with sport package and no power seats. Not worried about the resale.
I said fuk them, i don't need it. It probably something that will break and just piss me off down the road. I had them on a 2 door car. Damn it was a pain in the ass. People had to wait like 10-15 secs for the seat to move up so they can get out.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Power seats are most valuable in a few cases. (1) Where there are multiple drivers and the memory really helps readjust the seat to the position you have found is most comfortable. (2) Manual seats usually don't adjust in as many ways as power seats. I haven't checked them on the 325 but they may just be back and forward along with the ability to change the angle of the seat back. With power seats you can change them up and down as well and sometimes tilt the angle of the seat cushion. (3) You like to make frequent adjustments to your seats just so you aren't always sitting in the same position or because you sit differently on the freeway than you would in city driving. With all that said, it is an expensive option if you don't want the rest of the premium package. I don't think it is worth it in that case. If you do like the power seats, it can be one of the reasons to help justify the extra price of a 330.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
Power seats are most valuable in a few cases. (1) Where there are multiple drivers and the memory really helps readjust the seat to the position you have found is most comfortable. (2) Manual seats usually don't adjust in as many ways as power seats. I haven't checked them on the 325 but they may just be back and forward along with the ability to change the angle of the seat back. With power seats you can change them up and down as well and sometimes tilt the angle of the seat cushion. (3) You like to make frequent adjustments to your seats just so you aren't always sitting in the same position or because you sit differently on the freeway than you would in city driving. With all that said, it is an expensive option if you don't want the rest of the premium package. I don't think it is worth it in that case. If you do like the power seats, it can be one of the reasons to help justify the extra price of a 330.
The manual seats adjust 8 ways: front/back, up/down/,rake and seat-back angle.

Check out the owners manual online. There are handles all over the manual seats.

Sport manual seats add adjustments for the side bolsters and thigh extension.

One good thing about power seats is there are infinite positions. With the manual, there are finite stopping points.
      05-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
aragorn
Rep
Drives:

If you getting the sport package, I would say get the power seats. Its not the most important accessory, but I definetely will not buy another BMW whithout one. I have been having a blazing time on my new 325i and I constantly keeping changing the side bolster positions. I like it snug when I am doing some spirited driving and a lil loose otherwise Moreover if you are not the only one using the car, the power seats makes your life a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

power seats is a nice option to have but its not necessarily a definite neccesity. it'll save you money and weight by just not getting it. if your that lazy then go ahead but for 900 bucks im sure you know a lot of places that the 900 dollars can go towards
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
sipark
Rep
Drives: X5

So, does the manual seat tilt the seat (not the back rest) angle? Or does it just go up and down?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

manual seats only move in six directions... the other two are the headrests.

the powerseats are 12 way seats, including four way lumbar (not including headrest, which would be a 14way seat.)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep

It sounds like you're talking about 'rake', and yes, the manual seats let you adjust the angle.
      07-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
MPowerE90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2005

We don't have the power seats, but we miss them. It's a great option!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #13
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

well if your ever gonna to change to bucket or simi bucket seats then get the nonpower seats, but then again you can probally get the same effect as bucket seats with the power seats. the reasion i brought the buckets is i like to drive in the canyons and rarely at the track and the stock seats in my e30 doesnt hold me very well so i might get the simibucket seats!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I didn't get power seats in my car. I am the only one who drives it, and although they are cool -> I didn't feel like wasting the money (and decided to take better things). It still doesn't bother me, I found a nice position for the seat in like 2 seconds...and that's where it stayed!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I did opt for the power seats in my 325 just cause all my life ive only had manuel seats and for ONCE i wanted power. Plus its a freaking bmw- how retarded that it doesnt come standard. So i'd feel pretty weird driving such an expensive car but having to manually adjust my seat (just like my old cars '92 celica, 02 jetta)..Plus with the sport seats its nice to be able to adjust the snugness of the sides. And my boyfriend drives the car alot, so he has his setting and i have mine. I remember it was such a pain in the ass to find my spot after he drove my car. Im 5'2, hes 5'11.. i gotta fix height, length, back..etc. Now i just push 1 and theres my spot! Anyway if its something you think you'll regret, just fork out the dough and do it. I am so mad at myself for some stuff i wish i had gotten on my car :mad: . But what can i do now?...
      07-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

I didnt opt for power seats because I am the only driver. Yes, power seats have infinite positions but it is also infinite positions that you have to try. Once I set it I know I will never touch it. However, if my wife wants to learn a manual, I know I will start regreting not opting for the power setats
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Negatives for power seats: cost, weight, space. The manual seats adjust to virtually every position that the power seats do -- power side bolster adjustment included on both. You do not get the more sophisticated lumbar adjustment. No way you recoup your cost at resale -- check out the effect of adding the option at Edmunds.

The one big benefit to memory power seats is having the seat where you want it after someone else has driven your car. My wife and I trade off btw bimmer and van regularly, and it is a pain to squeeze in the car after she has left the seat moved up -- and she is 5'9" tp my 6'3", so those with greater descrepancies would suffer even more. Why I am expected to always put the toilet seat down, but she can't move the seat back, is beyond me...

So in sum, definitely go manual unless you have a short inconsiderate partner that will be driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #18
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Just placed an order for a Mystic Blue 325i with sports and premium packages.

I included the optional packages mainly to get sports suspension, wheels and tires, and a sunroof, sports steering wheel and electric sports seats. Our Canadian standard and option package configurations appear to be a whole lot different from USA and our standard configuration includes a lot of things that seem to be extras in the USA. Anyway the 325i with sports and premium turns out to be identical in price within a couple of hundred bucks of a plain vanilla 330i so I was faced with a real dilemma. The standard 330i comes with everything I wanted in the 325i with ZSP and ZPP except the sports seats and steering wheel. I absolutely, positively did not want the drawbacks of a sport or premium package on a 330i. So the trade – off was more performance or more comfort and I opted for comfort. I couldn’t care less about audio in a car but unfortunately, I had to pay for the fairly expensive Logic 7 in the 325i package to get the other things I wanted.

What made the decision for me were the powered sports seats and the fact that a new 325i has almost identical horsepower to my 2000 328i, which is ample for my purposes. I found that simply put, you sit IN the sports seats but you sit ON the standard seats – the sports seats are a must have on a 3. My current car, was my first to have powered seats; since my first BMW, a 1972 2002, I have owned every subsequent 3 series model. I am the only driver of my car but I find the powered seat to be extremely useful. When exiting, I use the memory feature to move the whole seat backward and upward and tilt the front down. This gives my legs more room to clear the steering wheel and door sill and swing out the door. When entering I use the memory to return the seat to driving position. So, I change the seat position every time I get in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

the sport package seats come with power side bolster adjustments even if you get manual seats

it's a 4 door, you're not moving the seats around to let people in, why pay the extra expense for some motors that will probably break in a few years. The manual seats are super easy to use and you still get powered side bolsters!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #20
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

I also went with the manual seats.... It's is kinda different because my C class had power seats with memory... but I rarely used them... I personally don't think they are worth the money.... even though I agree for a car of this price they should come standard.
      07-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

I would agree that powered sports seats are not an essential item. My first 3 BMW's did not have air conditioning either and I lived to tell! But would I buy a new one without a/c even if I could? I would venture to say that most buyers do not configure modern BMW's with options because something is essential or not. My current E46 pulls from around 1500 rpm without lugging in top gear. I sometimes upshift from 3rd into 5th, skipping 4th. Do I need a 6 speed gearbox? Nah, I could survive with a 4 speed, but of course you can't get one now.
Appreciate 0