BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Wow, I must be hard on the brakes on my car! My fronts (rotors and pads, as stated above) were replaced at the 30k mile mark and my rears are showing due in about 10,000 miles, which would be just over 40k miles
Not really. If you have a Steptronic and drive in traffic (which I'm usually able to avoid in my 128i), that sounds pretty normal.

Tom
Traffic = why I bought an automatic
      02-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #24
Brando384
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumike View Post
I've been reading through the forums lately to get more info about this car. I'm considering purchasing a 128i coupe, but after reading a lot of awful stories of this car being in the shop more often than not..I'm pretty unsure about the reliability of this car, and hesitant to purchase. Having read all of the negatives though, I'm still interested, I feel this car is totally underrated, I'm sure you owners would agree. For what I would like to spend on my next car (lower 20s), I think this car is a steal...Understanding some of the questions are a bit vague, ANY suggestions/answers you can provide would be extremely helpful to me, thanks.

1) What's a good price for a 08' or 09' fairly basic packaged car with less than 20k?

2) Will this car last 100,000+ w/o too much hassle?

3) Can this car survive winters in Buffalo, including some of the harsh roads that go with it? I take very good care of my cars but it will be my daily driver...I do understand winter tires will be a must.

4) Do the model yrs I'm interested also have the HPFP issue? Are there any other issues I should be aware about besides the 3rd brake light, and seat belt recalls?

5) Do the rimless windows have any issues during the winter (freezing shut/not working, that kind of thing)?

6) Does the car have any issues with single digit temp start ups?

7) Is this car relatively affordable to maintain? How much per yr should I expect to spend on repairs/maintenance?

8) Are there any benefits to buying a certified used? Are non certified used vehicles still covered by bmw's warranty?
Hello fellow Buffalonian - where in WNY are you?

I've been driving my '11 128i jet black/black leather/6mt since July and this car is phenomenal. I kept my 17" rims, but switched to Dunlop SP Wintersport 3Ds for winter. It's handled very well.

I haven't had any issues with the windows getting stuck either..and I've been washing it every few weeks throughout winter (can't let the salt kill the beauty of jet black).

Have you considered European Delivery on a new model? That's what I did. It reduces the price 4-5k off MSRP.. although I wouldn't plan on working with Towne BMW as they weren't willing to negotiate based on European Delivery invoice price.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Traffic = why I bought an automatic
While I haven't owned an automatic in nearly 40 years, your choice of transmissions is your choice - no need to justify it. I was only making the distinction as I've noticed that my wife goes through brake pads in her auto equipped cars much faster than I do in my stickshifts. Maybe others can chime in as to whether this is, in fact, due to tranny differences.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #26
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
While I haven't owned an automatic in nearly 40 years, your choice of transmissions is your choice - no need to justify it. I was only making the distinction as I've noticed that my wife goes through brake pads in her auto equipped cars much faster than I do in my stickshifts. Maybe others can chime in as to whether this is, in fact, due to tranny differences.

Tom
The 128i is the first automatic I've owned (unless you count the '08 VW R32 with DSG that I had) since I started driving, so I don't really have much experience myself. My last car (VW Jetta TDI 6MT) went through rear pads in 30k miles, as is common in the last generation Jettas/Golfs.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
malibumike
Rep
Drives: Looking to Upgrade...

Quote:

Tom
While I don't own this car, from my experience, manuals wear on brakes less. This is of course just my opinion, and would depend on your driving style. I try to break under neutral whenever possible, that way you don't have a transmission fighting your stop. Again, opinion...don't shoot : )
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
malibumike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando384 View Post

I've been driving my '11 128i jet black/black leather/6mt since July and this car is phenomenal. I kept my 17" rims, but switched to Dunlop SP Wintersport 3Ds for winter. It's handled very well.

I haven't had any issues with the windows getting stuck either..and I've been washing it every few weeks throughout winter (can't let the salt kill the beauty of jet black).

Have you considered European Delivery on a new model? That's what I did. It reduces the price 4-5k off MSRP.. although I wouldn't plan on working with Towne BMW as they weren't willing to negotiate based on European Delivery invoice price.

Hey Brando, glad to hear you've had no issues this winter. I'm actually in NT. I have considered purchasing new actually...especially after speaking with townbmw today, it appears they want 24k for a 08-09 CPO with less than 30k miles on the odo..seems a bit high, from what i've seen people paying for them..though kbb retail is 26900ish, so idk. They of course don't have exactly what I want, but are willing to hunt for it. Did you purchase your car directly from bmw?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
malibumike
Rep

to all - Spoke with my local bmw dealership today, they will look for what I want and are initially asking 24k..Here's what I want, can anyone shed some light on if this is a decent price? I checked kbb and retail is 26ish, so it doesn't sound like that bad of a deal.

This is what I requested from the dealer:

- certified pre-owned
- model yr 2008 or 2009
- less than 30k miles
- coupe
- alpine white
- black interior
- manual
- moon roof (must have premium package i think?)
- cold weather package

Please let me know what you think, thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Based on experience, I would also recommend the following options on top of your list:

- sport package - great seats, tighter suspension and staggered 17" wheels
- xenon headlights - great lighting and looks awesome with the corona rings; also turns into corners

The xenons may be especially hard to find as most 128's come optioned without them

I don't have the premium package in my car but it might be a desirable option as well to get the power seats, leather, blue tooth and auto-dimming mirrors

My 2009 had sunroof standard. I think it became an option in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #31
jetblackone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Winter Tires

Yes you need winter tires !
All-seasons do not have appropriate tread design or rubber compound for true winter conditions. That said, you could get a set of Nokian WRG2 and not need a second set...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #32
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

sport package is a necessity.
      02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
Brando384
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando384 View Post

Hey Brando, glad to hear you've had no issues this winter. I'm actually in NT. I have considered purchasing new actually...especially after speaking with townbmw today, it appears they want 24k for a 08-09 CPO with less than 30k miles on the odo..seems a bit high, from what i've seen people paying for them..though kbb retail is 26900ish, so idk. They of course don't have exactly what I want, but are willing to hunt for it. Did you purchase your car directly from bmw?
I ended up working with Classic BMW in Cleveland bc my CA was willing to negotiate based on European Delivery invoice. My car should have retailed for 34875 and I got it for 30 ish.

It's definitely worth the savings and experience.
Appreciate 0