BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
mmand743
Rep
Drives: 128i

Windshield: Repair or Replace

Just looking for some advice from fellow 1ers.

I have a new 128i, with 700 miles on it (less than 1 month old). Anyway, this weekend, I was driving on the highway, and... smack... a pebble hit my windshield and put a small (dime-sized) bulls-eye chip in it. It is on the passenger side, out of the reach of the wipers. But, still annoying.

Now, I am wondering what to do. I have full glass coverage, so the price isn't a factor.

I called Geico, and they offered to repair it for me, and if I was unhappy with the work, they would replace it at no cost. I had the repair done yesterday, and it looks far better, but the damage is still noticeable... especially on a clean windshield.

Anyway, what do you think? I am reluctant to "break the seal" and risk a sub-standard replacement job (even with OEM parts) on a brand new car. Is it worth the risk? Or should I live with the chip, which isn't bad, but still bothersome.

I'm really torn. Just need a sanity check.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Dont feel left out I had mine replaced.... and almost thought i was going to have to get it replaced again due to some retard deciding he is going to be cool and try to burn out in his ford focus and throw rocks all over the place at me.... i have a couple noticeable nicks in my windshield but nothing major so i just live with it
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
replace it don't risk it
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

live with it. you're bound to get another one, and a small one like that outside of the wiper path is no biggie. i replaced mine in my first month, and now have a small chip on the passenger side just inside the wiper path. i'll probably get someone to fill it to prevent it spreading, and wait for a bigger chip before i get it replaced again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
i got a question.... what if its a surface scratch not a chip... i have 3 scratches on mine just big enough so u can see the scratch
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
If it's a deeper chip, the windshield's structural integrity may be compromised. Some time from now it may start to crack through the whole windshield from either extreme temperature changes or more impacts... so I'd want to make sure it wasn't one of those kinds of chips before deciding to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
mmand743
Rep
Drives: 128i

Just to clarify - the chip was already repaired. But, I have an outstanding offer from my insurance company to replace it if I am unhappy with the repair. I'm just weighing my options. Do I want a cosmetically "perfect" new windshield, or a slightly flawwed original. I hate to replace any parts on a brand new car... especially since it isn't functionally necessary, and I have no idea if the glass guys will do a decent job or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase743 View Post
Just looking for some advice from fellow 1ers.

I have a new 128i, with 700 miles on it (less than 1 month old). Anyway, this weekend, I was driving on the highway, and... smack... a pebble hit my windshield and put a small (dime-sized) bulls-eye chip in it. It is on the passenger side, out of the reach of the wipers. But, still annoying.

Now, I am wondering what to do. I have full glass coverage, so the price isn't a factor.

I called Geico, and they offered to repair it for me, and if I was unhappy with the work, they would replace it at no cost. I had the repair done yesterday, and it looks far better, but the damage is still noticeable... especially on a clean windshield.

Anyway, what do you think? I am reluctant to "break the seal" and risk a sub-standard replacement job (even with OEM parts) on a brand new car. Is it worth the risk? Or should I live with the chip, which isn't bad, but still bothersome.

I'm really torn. Just need a sanity check.
It absolutely is not worth the risk!! Leave it alone. It will be fine. As someone else said, you'll probably get another one at some point. Replacing the windshield unnecessarily is not smart.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

ouch... tough one.

These modern "sealed" or glued in windshields are part of the structure of the vehicle. Deep damage may effect the integrity of the car, but that is pushing it a bit too...

My truck got a good sized hit outside of the wiper/vision area back in 2004. I got it repaired immediately, before any real dirt, water, etc. could get in, and it has remained fine since. It is indeed noticable, but since it is out of the way, it gets lost in the road dirt...

I would NOT trust any glass guy. And if I needed repair, would ONLY accept a BMW part. There is a lot of Mexican and Chinese glass that is not optically correct. I don't know what the OE glass is, but I assume it is Saint Gobain SEKURIT. Make sure you get that.. or if BMW doesnt import windshields, make sure it is their OE supplier in the US (for MB, european built cars get SEKURIT, but US replacements are made by PPG).

The other question is, how long is the satisfaction guarantee going to last? Do you have to be dissatisfied within 6 months? a year? What if you change insurance companies?

Id want the work done by the dealer if they have a competent shop, or by their preferred auto body/glass shop, only using OE parts. Id probably wait though, to see how it deals with temperature cycles. If it can deal, I would say its OK.

Be careful with an ice scraper though!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
live with it. you're bound to get another one, and a small one like that outside of the wiper path is no biggie. i replaced mine in my first month, and now have a small chip on the passenger side just inside the wiper path. i'll probably get someone to fill it to prevent it spreading, and wait for a bigger chip before i get it replaced again.

..got my first chip at 800 miles! Same exact spot as yours I bet! Passinger side about 6 inches above wiper.
Had it repaired (30%) but told it would not spread. Left mine alone, still there!
Also, one repaired, cannot re-repair!
Passingers notice it but its not terrible, living with it. I know if I get it replaced either they'll fu+k something else up or it will just get chipped within a week.
..btw, wtf with these cheap "easy to chip" windshields???
jeez BMW, we can make a car that can go 180 mph and feel like your doing 80, but cant make a windshield that can withstand a 1/8" pebble strike coming at 15 mph???!!!

Last edited by Midgad; 04-22-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
I just had my windshield replaced last Friday due to a nasty crack from a rock (1 month old....ugh). I also have Geico. I had the repair done at the dealership with OEM parts. Yes, the actual install was done thru an outside contractor, but now I have OEM parts all around (seals especially) and a warranty thru BMW for the work. I'm submitting the bill to Geico tomorrow but I expect them to pay the full qty based on what I discussed with them prior to repair.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the replacement. If anything than just to have a clean surface. I was really surprised how pitted my windshield was from just 1 month! Damn sandtrucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If the 'chip' is really just chip, and there is no crack, it can be easily fixed. BMW windshields are really soft glass, and my dealer offers glass repair services usually done ini less than 90 minutes. Don't know how it works, obviously they fill the chip with a sort of adhesive. Ask you dealer (or any glass repair shop). It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run, and any reputable shop will offer a warranty on the repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

leave it!
      12-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
cimbali
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
I just had my windshield replaced last Friday due to a nasty crack from a rock (1 month old....ugh). I also have Geico. I had the repair done at the dealership with OEM parts. Yes, the actual install was done thru an outside contractor, but now I have OEM parts all around (seals especially) and a warranty thru BMW for the work. I'm submitting the bill to Geico tomorrow but I expect them to pay the full qty based on what I discussed with them prior to repair.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the replacement. If anything than just to have a clean surface. I was really surprised how pitted my windshield was from just 1 month! Damn sandtrucks.
riguy, did u get reimbursed from Geico? I'll be submitting my claim tommorrow... having the windshield replaced by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black 135i 2009

i would leave it since its on the passenger side and shouldnt bother you too much...although i understand how anal we can be about our cars
Appreciate 0