BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
New toys for the track

Getting these installed:

1) Powerflex subframe bushings, full not inserts
2) 20mm rear sway bar
3) Diff bushings
4) Rogue engineering transmission mounts
5) WaveTrac LSD

1 - 3 have already been installed, the rest going in on Monday. Car will be ready for next (1/26) weekend. Excited to try out the Diff and sub-frame bushings, just to see/feel the difference.

Pictures

Last edited by yandy; 01-18-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

I'm jealous! I think the parts your putting on the car address the biggest shortcomings of the car, the transmission and the rear end. PLEASE write a review after the weekend!!!!!
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
I'm jealous! I think the parts your putting on the car address the biggest shortcomings of the car, the transmission and the rear end. PLEASE write a review after the weekend!!!!!
I will, but miss-typed, should've said "next" weekend, instead of this. So yea, I will write something up, but not going to be track tested till 1/26.
      01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
nice Yandy! these all translates to a more responsive car. I bet you must be pretty excited to get back in the saddle. did you get new rubber or are you running on your old set? make sure they're not heat cycled out. have fun!
      01-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Which differential bushings did you get? How is the NVH for street so far?

Also, are these the tranny mounts you're trying?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
nice Yandy! these all translates to a more responsive car. I bet you must be pretty excited to get back in the saddle. did you get new rubber or are you running on your old set? make sure they're not heat cycled out. have fun!
Not sure if excited is the word, everyday that gets closer I shake like a meth addict. I'm going with a set of RS-3 on my old koseis for now, 255/40/17 all around.

I will be ordering a set of ARC-8s with 275/35/18 NT-01s pretty soon. Just need to recover a bit financially from all these parts + install.
      01-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Which differential bushings did you get? How is the NVH for street so far?

Also, are these the tranny mounts you're trying?
I don't remember the name of the Diff bushings, the shop recommended them as he has him in his own car. I will look at the parts list when I go back to get the car on monday and let you know. They are significantly stiffer than stock, it's a metallic plastic, just as stiff as aluminum ones. They were purchased from Turner I believe.

Those are the Tranny mounts, I got them a while back from HPAUTO I believe.

I pick up the car Monday afternoon, so can't comment on street drivability, yet.
      01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
I don't remember the name of the Diff bushings, the shop recommended them as he has him in his own car. I will look at the parts list when I go back to get the car on monday and let you know. They are significantly stiffer than stock, it's a metallic plastic, just as stiff as aluminum ones. They were purchased from Turner I believe.

Those are the Tranny mounts, I got them a while back from HPAUTO I believe.

I pick up the car Monday afternoon, so can't comment on street drivability, yet.
Thanks. I'm going to order the transmission mounts.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Not sure if excited is the word, everyday that gets closer I shake like a meth addict. I'm going with a set of RS-3 on my old koseis for now, 255/40/17 all around.

I will be ordering a set of ARC-8s with 275/35/18 NT-01s pretty soon. Just need to recover a bit financially from all these parts + install.
have you performed your pre-flight check; flush brake fluid preferably with SRF, check pads, got a new alignment corner balance, check all fluids and make sure you get some new oil in that bad boy for smooth running? oh and don't forget checking your cold and hot tire pressure for optimum levels. you're welcome

Last edited by pixelblue; 01-19-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
have you performed your pre-flight check; flush brake fluid preferably with SRF, check pads, got a new alignment corner balance, check all fluids and make sure you get some new oil in that bad boy for smooth running? oh and don't forget checking your cold and hot tire pressure for optimum levels. you're welcome
Brake fluid -- check (Motul RBF 660)
Pads -- check, brand new set of XP16/12 and taking brand new set of cool carbons as my daily just in case.
Alignment/Balance -- check
new oil -- later this week

Thank you!
      01-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I also got myself one of thes (should be here this week) AIM Solo DL with CAN integration.

Giving access to allot more channels than Harry's and the PLX WiFi. While they were great, I want to see things like brake pressure, water temps, oil temps (logged). Be able to graph out nicely corners and see what I'm doing or could be doing better.

01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
At this rate you will be back in the tirewall in no time.

Have a nice day!
      01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm serious. You didn't listen to any good advice. You still are going to use r comp tires which you obviously aren't ready for. You put a stiff rear sway and an LSD in a 400 hp car. You've turned it into a power oversteer machine and that is exactly how you balled it up in the first place. You are convinced you are a good enough driver to be wheeling a car like that and have ignored any word of caution about driving over your head. So I am just calling it now. You will be in the wall again.
Coming in here and saying "you are this" and "you are that" isn't helping anyone. Do you know me? Do you know whether I listened or not? Do you know what I've done from 8 months ago?

Do me a favor and seriously get out of my posts. I know it's the internet, and you can do what ever it is you want. I will seriously one day like to meet you to see if you're actually this much of a douche with someone in your face, or, you're just trying to hard online. No it's about violence or fighting, I have too much to lose to be so stupid, but people like you are usually domesticated little dogs in person, so I'm just naturally curious.

This will be my las reply to you, again, have a nice day.
      01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well like you said I don't know you but I can get a sense of what kind of driver you are and what kind of advice you have taken from your posts in this forum and that is what I am commenting on. I don't know you as a person outside of this car forum and I don't believe i am passing judgement on you in that way. Likewise you don't know me and maybe we will meet in person and you can see how much of a douche or a dog or whatever it is that you say I am. I am not telling you you are going to crash to insult you. I am telling you as a warning and youve been stubborn about it. So go crash your crappy car I really don't care
So let's take a back a little then, if your intent is not to insult, then I will indulge you. I am not above regrets, mistakes and accepting advice. You ever heard the saying, "it's not what you say, but how you say it?".

Am I going to take someone seriously when the only form of criticism is "at this rate you're going to end up in the tirewall again?".

no, I'm not using R-Comps, I purchased two sets of RS-3 tires and will continue to use those, until I am confident. I do eventually want to end up with wider wheels and track tires. Which is where my comment about the Apex and NT-01s came in.

I did add a stiffer sway bar, and LSD and allot of other things. I am also conscious that driving this is completely different than before "and I still crashed". I have scheduled instructors from before, and others that have been recommend to ride along with me in my next 3 scheduled events (haven't scheduled any more).

I know that there's no way I can push as hard as before, because I will crash. There's allot of things to get used to again. But I always wanted to add those parts, and this was the time, financially and the car has just been sitting around being worked on.

I am no expert, there's no way that I know enough, re-act enough or predict enough. But I am trying to get there or as far as possible, if I will ever have the skills, that's to be seen.

There's allot more I need to do, and learn, but coming into a forum pointing fingers, because I posted something about my mistake to hopefully help someone from not making the same mistake, is not constructive. None of us are above mistakes, but saying that I didn't take advice, or learned from them, because I posted a couple pictures in this forum is plain ignorant.

Me accusing you of being a douche, from a couple of post is also ignorant.
      01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yandy man awesome to see the upgrades. I'm curious to how you like the bushings and how they feel on the street. I've always heard they really almost bring in too much NVH to be able to enjoy it on the street at all. I'm jealous of the upgrades
      01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Yandy man awesome to see the upgrades. I'm curious to how you like the bushings and how they feel on the street. I've always heard they really almost bring in too much NVH to be able to enjoy it on the street at all. I'm jealous of the upgrades
Car's supposed to be done tonight, so if I can pick it up later or tomorrow at some point I'll report back what it's like. We have pretty bumpy roads down here, it should be a pretty good test for that.
      01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Yandy, don't over think how you drive and worry about crashing. I know it's easier said than done but if you're getting the track insurance then don't worry about wrecking the car. that should have been your biggest concern and now that you have insurance you shouldn't worry and second guess because it'll ruin the fun when you try to be too cautious. as usual purple has good insight but his delivery needs some help. so yeah you have dialed more oversteer into your suspension with the new mods but that doesn't mean you can't dial some out. anyway my biggest point is not to over think when you're out on the track and just have fun and not worry because you're already covered.
      01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yandy, don't over think how you drive and worry about crashing. I know it's easier said than done but if you're getting the track insurance then don't worry about wrecking the car. that should have been your biggest concern and now that you have insurance you shouldn't worry and second guess because it'll ruin the fun when you try to be too cautious. as usual purple has good insight but his delivery needs some help. so yeah you have dialed more oversteer into your suspension with the new mods but that doesn't mean you can't dial some out. anyway my biggest point is not to over think when you're out on the track and just have fun and not worry because you're already covered.
It may be different/easier not to over think, I am covered, but also it's not the same track. Not going through that same turn going, oh shit, oh shit... lol

I will have fun, otherwise there's no point. I love doing this stuff, there's risk, but not going to stop because I f*cked up once.

Thanks again man
      01-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
I love doing this stuff, there's risk, but not going to stop because I f*cked up once.

Thanks again man
that's the spirit
      01-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
+1. Yandy, a lot of guys wouldn't get back up on that horse again. I think its great Yandy that you are headed back to the track.

Best of Luck.
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. Yandy, a lot of guys wouldn't get back up on that horse again. I think its great Yandy that you are headed back to the track.

Best of Luck.
Dackel
Thanks Dackel,

Looking forward to getting back out, I miss it.
      01-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Preliminary overview of the parts, mind you from a max of 25 miles driven.

The car definitely feels planted, hit a couple slight potholes on purpose and there's no bouncing around in the rear any longer. Maybe it's just me, but though the car feels firmer, more planted, there's no significant noise increase or harshness during normal driving. Yes, it's stiffer, so it is "a bit" harsher, but nothing that should stop it from being enjoyable to drive, on the contrary.

Haven't really had a chance to test the Diff out at all, only a couple of corners here and there. The wobble in the rear is gone, mostly due to the bushings and sway bar. The rear end does feel a bit looser as expected, but nothing uncontrollable, there's more slip into the turn, more turn in than wobble or roll. In reality car feels more controllable than before, there's more feedback from the rear. You can just dive the car into a corner, and it points and goes (not so aggressive driving) hard to really put into words.

During stop and go traffic, there is a "thump" noise when shifting to 1st and to 2nd, not so much, at least not noticeable at higher speeds. Not sure if this is the diff, or the tranny mounts or a combination.

Can't wait to get it out there this weekend and really, feel/see what it can do. Though the driver's the limitation, I already spoke to an instructor that wants to drive it. He drove it before all the changes and wants to see what it feels like now.

I will create a new post after the track and have more details than this.