BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

Arrow A little "write up": complete CIC retrofit in my e81 - now with combox!

I did a full CIC retrofit in my e81 a couple of weeks ago, and here's my "story". My english is not that good I'm afraid, but I'll try my best.

The pictures are mainly taken with my iPhone, so the quality isn't the best.

This is an '08 116i 3-door with business radio from factory, and no CD-changer, bluetooth, enhanced audio system etc. I did however have aux-input which was standard and automatic climate control.

The e81 does also have the storage compartment on top of the dash as a standard.

Since this is an '08 it would have been delivered with the 6,5" flip up-screen if it was equipped with iDrive from factory:

I'm sure the flip-up screen does it's job, but it's starting to get a bit old, so I'd never consider anything other than the CIC with a fixed 8,8" screen.

My homemade to do-list was this:
  • Change the center console with one made for iDrive control
  • Change the top storage bin with the screen
  • Move the climate panel where the CD player used to sit, and mount a few new bezels.
  • Make and connect a few cables

First thing I did was to remove the center console. I found a DIY which made the job quite easy.

Before:

During:

After taking the console out, I moved over the arm rest, trim and other bits and pieces from the old and over to the new console.

Afterwards, the CD-player, climate control panel, the buttons for seat heating and the top storage bin removed.

The next step was to install the cables for the screen. The screen requires a signal cable from the CIC, and a combined signal and power cable from the car. The pins to the power/signal-cable is free in a plug behind the glovebox.
Afterwards the screen was mounted on its place.

Then I mounted the wires to the iDrive controller. Since the car didn't have factory mounted iDrive, I had to make this cable as well. The correct socket for this is very hard to reach without taking the dash apart, so I connected it to the same source as the screen, as it barely uses any power. The minus/earth was connected to one of the mountings for the center console, as I didn't want to cut into any of the originally wires of the car. The other brown wire is for the FSC bypass module.

The last two wires for the iDrive controller connects behind the CIC computer.

The CIC uses the same connector as the business CD player, so the only thong that's needed here is to mount the FSC bypass module. It's possible to buy FSC codes from BMW instead of this module, but they cost a lot more.

Bypass module:

I also had to connect a GPS antenna.

After all this the only thing left was to mount the CIC back in the dash, I thought.

In my process of planning this, I missed a very small detail. The dashboard on cars with iDrive is not the same as cars without. Even if they have the top storage bin. The difference is the mountings for the CD player/iDrive computer.

After discovering this I actually started to reverse the whole job, but after looking a bit more, I decided to give it a try. I cut away a few plastic bits from the dash, and after a while the CIC computer was on it's place.

Test startup:

I'm not living in Berlin.

When everything was up and running, I made some brackets for the climate panel, and everything's done! The marks is just fingermarks.

Because of this, the fitment is not quite 100%, but it's not far away.

I may change the dash in the future if I'm getting one cheap, but I'll se.

Next thing was to mount back the center console and then code the car.

The result:

I've ordered combox and a full Harman/Kardon system for my next project

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures

Last edited by awt; 12-18-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Nice... I was actually wondering if I could swap my flip up nav for that fixed screen one. Guess it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Ya, I'd like to replace my flip up as well. I didn't think this was possible, at least not easily.

Where did you buy the cic unit and other necessary parts? How much was it to code? Since I already have a flip screen idrive, do you know if the CIC unit is a direct replacement? looks like it could fit fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

If you have the flip up-screen (unlike me), this is really easy. You have all the main parts like the center console and correct dashbord.

I bought the screen, computer and controller from eBay, and the cables and bezels from a BMW parts dealer. I did the coding myself.

There are also companies that can supply you with everything, included the coding, but they are to expensive IMO.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Dee67
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82m sport

hello all, this is my first post. extremly interested in this thread. I am also in the process of installing CIC system into my E82 2009 model.
I have modified the Dash very similar to what 'awt' as done and mounted the climate control onto homemade brackets along with the main CIC unit. (I shall add my install photos very soon). The 'Display' fits in place of existing storage tray. However, I am looking for some assist on 'coding' procedure. (I have been reading various forums but have not attempted any coding yet). Since 'awt' has done this on 1 series, I am hoping that you may able to guide me. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Wow!! Very nice skills you have!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

@Dee67:

Sorry for the late reply, I'm not that active here.

You need to add $6VA and $609 in the cars VO. If your car where older you would have to change the VO date to #0909 aswell. After this you need to recode your CIC.

Take a look here for more info.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Dee67
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82m sport

Thanks for your response awt. I have temporarily connected everything together and noticed most of options are working. I have not done any coding at all yet, however, one thing that is not working is the 'telephone'. Although the option is there but when selected, it 'hangs' as though there is no Bluetooth active.
My car does have this function factory fitted. (option SA644). Also my car does not have 'combo box' but the CIC kit, came from a car that had 'combo box'.
Would this have anything to do with the 'telephone' not working or is it a matter of coding?
Any help in this, would be welcomed.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What a great project. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
my car is an 08 128i sport edition with professional radio, non screen, can I due this upgrade if I cut my dash to fit the 8 inch t.v
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Bro that's awesome!
Now if we could only get aftermarket BMW blue tooth added to our cars =)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Why aftermarked? OEM is a much better solution.

I got my Combox today, but I'm not sure when I have the time to mount it.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Oh man would I love to do this in my 08 e82. Are there any gotchas if I already have the Hifi audio system? If not I think it is time to start saving for this and OEM seat heaters
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Nope, all cars are the same.

So the next mod regarding this:

I've finally managed to install the combox module. For those of you that don't know what combox is, it's a module that manages everything that has to do with telephone, multimedia, internet and such things in cars equipped with CIC iDrive.

The combox was bought from a BMW parts dealer together with a OEM bluetooth retrofit harness.

In order to mount the harness in a good way, I removed the driver seat and center console. I also had to remove the CIC unit and climate control panel.

Bluetooth antenna mounted under the center console

The microphone mounts where the button for the sunroof is. The cable for this was routed alongside the A-pillar.

The combox get it's power from the main harness to the CIC. It also needs a MOST fiber connection to the CIC.

A small vacuum before mounting the seat back in.

The combox mounts under the boot floor, and have it's own place.

Mounting bracket in place:

Then I "just" had to connect the combox, but I'd forgot to order the right connector for it, so I used two old plugs instead. I will replace this with the proper one very soon. Left side is power and right side is the microphone. I will also add aux here later.

Combox placed on the mounting bracket. Bluetooth antenna on the left side and 6FL connector on the right. I will probably use the 6NF socket for the 6FL, and skip the Y cable.

After this, I had to code the combox into the car. I had some trouble with this a few days, and the reason was that my coding software was to old.

Wireless music playback thru bluetooth.

Internet functions is not supported in Norway, but my next project is to add them aswell. Shouldn't be that difficult. I really don't need them either, I just wanted handsfree and bluetooth streaming.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

wow! Very nice job!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #16
abradab
Registered
Rep
Drives: e81

Hi mate

can I ask u a question - what is that cables set did u used to install combox? does it has any order number?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

I used the OEM retrofit kit for bluetooth, which includes the mic, BT antenna, wiring and some fittings. PN is 84640443734. The plug on the OEM kit does not fit the combox, so you also need 61136913644 (connector) and 61136913626 (connector housing).

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I wish someone had a template for those of us without the storage tray. I am way to hesitant to cut into the dash without perfect measurements.

I assume this should be fairly easy even with Hifi radio and already having bluetooth? I still would like to upgrade to the newer streaming bluetooth though.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

There is a template, I think you can get one of BMW, but it shouldn't be a problem if you have a friend or something that you could take measures from.

What equipment you have is not that relevant, it's pretty much the same job, but as you have an '08 with bluetooth, the cables needed for the combox is already there.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Very well done! How much did you end up spending with all the cabling/retrofit kits?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

I haven't done the math, but the iDrive retrofit was probably around 8-10000NOK (~ $1500), and the combox around 3-4000NOK (~ $600).

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
hernandez706
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I'm about to get started on this project...OP - Your post helped motivate me. I can't wait!! Can you tell me if the CIC head unit comes w/ bluetooth? I understand you need the combox for streaming bluetooth, but what if I just want the standard bluetooth for calls? My car never came w/ it.
Appreciate 0