BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Battery Replacement

Well i have read many thread about the recoding after replacement of a battery in the 1 series. I might be a little confused about as to why this is needed since the battery is just a power supply.

I have a couple questions.

1. Why first of all is it necessary to code the car to the new battery?
2. What harm would there be if we didnt recode the car?

This just seems strange to me. The manual says that there are convenience buttons that will need to be programmed. What convenience buttons are they talking about? Is there anyway around that like keeping the car powered up with a seperate battery while changing the battery in the trunk?
      01-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
1. Charging of the battery is a delicate balance and the ECU needs specific data to ensure appropriate charging (i.e. specific amperage, etc.). This requires re-coding after installation so the ECU is aware of a "new" battery and/or any changes from the new battery (different CCA etc.).
2. Search any of the forums out there and you will see that there has been variable degrees of success NOT coding, but the consensus seems to be that re-coding will avoid premature battery drain/incorrect use from the ECU.

I know, I know....it's mind-blowing that they've overengineered it to this extent, but the specific batteries in our vehicles (AGM) are different from your same ol' same ol' and aren't "wet" but a different composition and therefore vent less gas into the vehicle (bearing in mind that they really are IN the vehicle more or less).

Best of luck. I am in the same situation and I'm infuriated that I can't just swap it out...
      01-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I hate to pay a lot of money for a battery too. But my battery is still original and running like a top. The cheap batteries in my regular cars never last as long.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

well i am not convienced that my battery is the culprit. I will start another therad on the symptoms. But just in case has anyone bought a battery from say Auto Zome or Advanced Auto Parts and then had it coded? Or does one have to buy a battery fro the manufacturer? (that would suck)
      01-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
I know, I know....it's mind-blowing that they've overengineered it to this extent, but the specific batteries in our vehicles (AGM) are different from your same ol' same ol' and aren't "wet" but a different composition and therefore vent less gas into the vehicle (bearing in mind that they really are IN the vehicle more or less).
I haven't looked that carefully at my battery, but previous models that had batteries "in" the car had a vent tube which allowed the hydrogen gas to be expelled outside the car.

EDIT: I just checked... My battery has the vent tube.

Last edited by bmw1racer; 01-06-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Aren't the AGM types self-contained but not vented? I don't know. I'd have to check. My E30 and E83s didn't seem to be so complicated, and I know the E30 battery wasn't complicated!
      01-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
...but the specific batteries in our vehicles (AGM) are different from your same ol' same ol' and aren't "wet" but a different composition and therefore vent less gas into the vehicle ....
AGM are also wet lead acid batteries....just in a different configuration. The 'vent' is not the same as in a flooded cell battery and is attached to a safety pressure valve that only opens under certain adverse conditions and not normally open to the atmosphere. I too would like to know what the "coding" accomplishes other than a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
You can easily tell if you have an AGM battery by the color. Black = AGM, white = regular battery. My '10 has a regular battery, not an AGM.

I have to say that having to take your car to the dealer for "coding" a new battery to the car is pretty ridiculous...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
granracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata

You can buy a regular battery, but it still should be coded. At an INDY shop, they quoted me $300 total for the battery and coding. Frustrating, yes.

This isn't unique to BMW either, several new cars have it as well. Where's my oil dip stick?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Has anyone gone to a lightweight battery? Just out of curiosity, my 09's original battery is still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

I hear in Germany if you want to have sex with your wife and you want to rock a rubber you need to visit the BMW shop so they can code the robber to your dong or you may have some problems!
Which ever worthless engineer thougth of this needs to be found tied to his bed and beaten with baseball bats untill he can no longer walk or lift a finger ever again!
I mean really....really really? Come on! Who thought of this and why has he not died yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
I hear in Germany if you want to have sex with your wife and you want to rock a rubber you need to visit the BMW shop so they can code the robber to your dong or you may have some problems!
Which ever worthless engineer thougth of this needs to be found tied to his bed and beaten with baseball bats untill he can no longer walk or lift a finger ever again!
I mean really....really really? Come on! Who thought of this and why has he not died yet?
Wow, maybe you should tell us how you really feel. hahaha. From the sounds of it instead of making an alternator smart enough to do the charging of the battery they removed that function from the Alt and placed it in the ECU which can contain more data points such as amperage of the battery, size maybe, nominal voltage, etc. if that is so then they should have placed that function on the turn stalk for us to program. Taking a bottle of water and saying that it is worth $100 doesnt make it worth any more than the original bottle of water that cost $1.00. Oh wait but if we add this super duper lever to it so that you have to have a shop open it for you at the cost of $99.00 then well there you go it is worth it right? I am afraid not. H2O is still H2O in any form.

So, i get that a smart charging system can prevent over charging the battery thus cut cost down in the short term but when it cost $500 to replace a $140 battery then that is a little excessive. Simply put there is no reason except for self preservation on BMW stand point.

While i cannot prove it i suspect that they added this feature so that no batteries would go bad before the service warranty runs out due to over charging or under charging etc. Let's say they prolonged the failure by another few months or even a year or so. That might get them off the hook for the cost of replacements and pass that buck to the people that buy the vehicles afterwards.

The only problem i see with that philosophy is that if every used vehicles battery fails within the first year at a cost of $500 ppl will stop buying the vehicles used. Afterall when you get mom or pop or joey down the street that knows nothing about vehicles and has not done any reasearch when the battery goes and they have to take out half their mortgage payment to replace it, they might be saying to themselves what if an engine goes out would that cost me $10K?

Oh wait, Joey yep it would after you pay for labor and coding yep it would.

ok i am dont ranting here but i am still looking for other opinions on the matter. Maybe this coding thing is just a money suck only who knows. lets see what others say.
      01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

Buy the correct battery

buy the correct cable

use the free software (and donate some $ to the guy who made it)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727091

I believe the e82 also has the MSD80 dme so it should work fine
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Umm that's incredibly useful! I think this might warrant a sticky!

2012 BMW 128i: BMW Performance Rear Spoiler, BMW Performance Front Grilles, 20% Tint, BMW 135i M-Sport Axle-back With Shadowline Tips, Golf-Tee Mod, 261 M-Sport Rims with Falken 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires,Depo Smoked LED Side Makers, Eiback Pro Springs (To be installed)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

After too much research on the subject I'll add my .02......If your battery is replaced with an equivalent ah AGM or flooded cell battery coding does nothing but change the date of battery install and that is insignificant in the life and function of the battery with all other conditions constant (use/temperature). Information of limited value to you digitized in the car. The charging properties of AGM vs flooded cell car batteries is so similar as not to be a problem regardless of which one you choose. Interesting that flooded cell batteries in passenger cars, boats, and fixed installations are rated more reliable $ for $ than AGW. Black batteries in BMW = AGM (I didn't know that!). So installing an equivalent battery regardless of AGM or flooded cell and not 'registering' it should be no problem. Methinks the coding/registering is only important when intentionally increasing battery power due to usage needs (audio amp?) or installing a lower capacity battery which is not advised from a power requirements standpoint and it could shorten its' life. To me "smart charging" seems like nitrogen vs. atmosphere in tires when it comes to battery replacement. It could be extending battery life but that information isn't being released and from the reports of replacement I doubt it. I'd appreciate some real information other than "because BMW knows what's best for its' product" or "its' a complex system and requires it" to change my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #16
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
It would be interesting to find out if owners out there have replaced the batteries without recoding and experienced ANY issues...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #17
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
It would be interesting to find out if owners out there have replaced the batteries without recoding and experienced ANY issues...
Based on what I have read, the main issue with changing an old battery with the same type of new battery, is your smart battery system charges and old battery different than a brand new battery, such that you may experience shortened battery life if you do not register a brand new battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
This was my understanding and it seems like folks have experienced this on other forums (3ers). Has anyone tried using AAA battery replacement? They claim to swap your battery as a complete job, and the 1 series is listed. I can easily swap a battery, but why pay for recoding if AAA has an OBD connector and can do it?

I doubt they do, and my heart tells me their program is not aware of the recode issue.
      01-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did a google search today looking at what a battery costs for my 128i. I didn't see anything less than about $150 but I didn't look real long. On the same search, I got an add for my dealer saying they would replace the battery including registration for $175. There could be fine print that ruins this but it seems like the dealer can do this for a reasonable cost if they want to. Even though I can code, I'm not sure I would spend my time to save $25.
      01-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Based on what I have read, the main issue with changing an old battery with the same type of new battery, is your smart battery system charges and old battery different than a brand new battery, such that you may experience shortened battery life if you do not register a brand new battery.
All of a sudden after 100 years of car batteries being used charging is different between old and new batteries? Also, if you quick or trickle charge a battery does it need to be coded/registered? Considering this "feature" incurred extra expense on their part you'd think they would share the benefits more readily.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
All of a sudden after 100 years of car batteries being used charging is different between old and new batteries? Also, if you quick or trickle charge a battery does it need to be coded/registered? Considering this "feature" incurred extra expense on their part you'd think they would share the benefits more readily.
1) I guess so, at least cars were not being made with an IBS for 100 years, which our BMW's have.
2) No.
3). One would think.

Last edited by Iron Man; 01-08-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
syclone2032
Rep
Drives: 2011 USDM 135i

here´s an excerpt from the instructions given in "Rheingold" (couldn't copy/paste it but re-typed word by word):
"After installing a new battery, the service function "register battery replacement" must be run. the registration of the battery replacement is required to inform the power management (software in engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery was installed in the vehicle. If the battery replacement is not registered, the power management will not function properly and can lead to functions being limited by individual electrical consumers being switched off or having their power reduced, for example"

"registering" as per the service instructions in "Rheingold" means that a battery with a different capacity must be coded into the CAS, as well as a change in battery type (lead-acid vs AGM), and the service function "Battery" must be run (ISTA/P) and the power management system be initialized.

after the new battery is in, the vehicle must sit for at least 3 hours for the power management system and the battery to learn to like each other...

so i think this sums up what has been said before: not registering might screw up the power management and the procedure may indeed be overengineered.
Appreciate 0