BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Thumbs down WTF Loaner fee?

Alright here's the story: I call up North Shore BMW to book my mum's X3 in for a THIRD consecutive warranty repair job (this car has some major issues: they've replaced the accelerator module and the transfer case previous two times). The problem in the car still persists, and I myself believe the autobox needs some major repairs, but BMW keep trying to dodge the bullet. Anyway I digress.

I was surprised when I was told that the SA that I normally dealt with 'has been moved to sales'. Fine. No biggie. I tell the new guy bout the persisting problems, book the car in. Since the last repair took about 3 weeks, I obviously ask for a loaner to be arranged this time. "$20 a day," he says, "that's the new policy."

WTF? My 135i was just in 2 months ago for a blown charge pipe and my usual SA got me a loaner without charge. All three cars in my family are serviced there and loaners have never been a hassle. I tell the new guy exactly that. He goes to speak to the service manager and calls me back, saying "I can waive the fee for you this time, but I must stress that this is a one off special. It won't happen again."

Whatever, I didn't feel the need to argue at that point over the phone, but should I take this further? What I'll definitely do if they are insistent on charging $20/day for their crappy 120i loaners is notify him in person that they'll be losing our family's business from this point onwards. Recommendations for where we can take our cars for some decent service in the future?

PS. sorry for long post, I needed to rant.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black

Last edited by Jeef Beef; 05-05-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
oqohtc
Registered
Rep
Drives: MY07 GTB Liberty

WTF alright.

I would have thought that you could expect a loan car when the car is in for warranty repairs. At the very least they're not fulfilling the contract agreed upon when you purchased the vehicle.

Expecting a loan car when your car is in for a scheduled service (I understand this isn't the case in your example) is another issue unless it was part of your purchase.

Maybe try speaking to BMW's head office.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Loan Cars ARE FREE for scheduled services. The only thing is i need to book well in advance as i get serviced at BMW Sydney (Rushcutter's Bay), so they need time to ensure i have a car. They were wonderful and gave me a choice of 118 or 330d for the day. Chose the 330

No cost, just an easy deal!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
As it has been explained to me, loan cars are only free when the car is in for a warranty repair.
      05-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
As it has been explained to me, loan cars are only free when the car is in for a warranty repair.
It really depends on the SA u r dealing with. Some of them or some dealership give it to u for free if u regularly service ur car there or have purchase number a cars there. Dealership have the right to charge u for the car if they really want to the end of the day. But in ur case Jeef Beef, they should not charge u as it is a warranty repair. So better find new dealership to service ur car m8.

Bit of a shame thou. Lexus give out service car to all customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

well Lexus needs to do something special, otherwise whos going to buy them? xD
      05-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Loan cars are supposed to be free for all warranty work.
They are also generally free whenever you get your car serviced at the dealer you purchased from.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

They are not automatically free, but you can get it free generally for schedule service - if you are on the EPP it is definitely free.

However, I am not sure if they have change any policy but warranty work has always been free for me. They are the times when I ask for a loan car they always have one for me when other times I have to book in 2-3 weeks in advance.

Just tell them you are going to buy a lexus next time.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys, general consensus seems to be that warranty work = free loan car. That's also been my past experience with my previous SA, this new one just seems to insist that a fee must be charged regardless.

I'll be expressing my thoughts on the situation very clearly to him in person. Our family has serviced with them for many years now.

Lexus threat sounds good

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Artamon service have always been nice to me and have provided 5 series loaners on 2 different occasions when they were rectifying few issues under warranty. Brookvale dealership on the other hand wanted to charge me $60/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
........ i get serviced at BMW Sydney (Rushcutter's Bay.......No cost, just an easy deal!
Have a look at your etag invoice and make sure there are no excessive kms done while car is in their possession...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379770

Quote:
i took my car to bmw sydney service

a couple of parts replaced it took 27 days to be finished

pick up the car today, i found out when i got home, they use my car up 4000k,

check my e toll accounts, they use $32 on my e tag and it showed that they had drvien to M5 freeway on the long weekend .

also i need to speak to Rta tomorrow and make sure it didnt get speed fine on the longweekend...........
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post

Have a look at your etag invoice and make sure there are no excessive kms done while car is in their possession...
I remove my eTag whenever my car goes in anywhere and i leave it for more than a few hours in someone else's hands.

That way, if i get a toll penalty notice, i can just Stat Dec it to whoever was responsible!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #12
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Ive had my car in for warranty work a number of times (4 from memory?) not big jobs but things that needed a fix - never did I have to pay for a loan car. It must be upto the dealers discretion? Motorline BMW have always looked after me...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #13
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

The term "loan car" is now misleading. It is either a loan car or a rental car. I had this discussion recently with my dealer.
      05-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

As most have replied, it really depends on the individual dealerships..

I got a call today from Sylvania BMW that my roof parts have arrived for round three of repairs, they booked me in for when the next FREE loan car was available.

I actually think that the dealerships charge back the "loan" car fee to BMW on all warranty work carried out..Your dealer could be just DOUBLE dipping in the pie..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
It all depends on the individual dealership but I also find that the SA has the final say and can overturn the general ruling of that dealership. I have never had to pay for a loan car whether it be warranty work or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #16
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I work for BMW (ok in Belgium, not Australia but I'm sure the rules are the same) and if a car is in for warranty work then the replacement car should be free. The dealers are allowed to invoice BMW for the replacement car they've given to the customer because it is part of the warranty job. So if they are also invoicing the customer then they are being paid twice.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
I work for BMW (ok in Belgium, not Australia but I'm sure the rules are the same) and if a car is in for warranty work then the replacement car should be free. The dealers are allowed to invoice BMW for the replacement car they've given to the customer because it is part of the warranty job. So if they are also invoicing the customer then they are being paid twice.
So I am correct in assuming the OP dealer is double dipping..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

May be you should ring up BMW Aust, but then again, isn't Sydney owned by BMW Aust?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i / AW M2

It may have some relevance that BMW northshore went their separate ways with Sydney in the last 6 months or so??? Chatswood's no longer factory owned....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
So I am correct in assuming the OP dealer is double dipping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
May be you should ring up BMW Aust, but then again, isn't Sydney owned by BMW Aust?
BMW North Shore was sold off to a private owner around September last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexx View Post
It may have some relevance that BMW northshore went their separate ways with Sydney in the last 6 months or so??? Chatswood's no longer factory owned....
+1 Apparently this is when the 'policy change' for charging for loaners took place - which is bullshit since my car was just in 2 months ago.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #21
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i / AW M2

Yeah not exactly big bux for them. I wonder why they bother. What more the loan car excess for accidents are in the thousands irrespective of whether you're at fault. Highly unfair when they may not actually suffer excess on their insurance claim against the at fault party. If I have to pay 60 a day I might as well really hire a car from Avis etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
135BANDIT
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 BMT & X5 Msport

Help

If your on the cop orate plan , are you required to use the selling dealer?

My dealer was North Shore , but i am gravely concerned with the above reports.

JD
Appreciate 0