BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
acbxjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT

2010 128i feels unstable

Hello,
My apologies in advance if there is a thread on this topic already. I am fairly new to the forum. I have a 2010 128i which hit a curb (both right side wheels) after hitting a patch of ice last winter. Both wheels hit the curb and they folded into the car kind of like that Delorean from "Back to the Future". The car was repaired under insurance claim and the work was done at local shop as well as at local BMW dealer. The claim was for about $7000 and many many parts were replaced. They did use "recycled" parts which really upset me but I was out of the country during the repairs so not much I could do to argue that.

The problem is now when I drive the car at 70-90 mph I can really feel a sort of unstable feeling to the car. It is almost like it gets blown side to side by the wind but without even turning the wheel. I have read some people mention possible alignment issues like too much toe out, tire pressures etc.

Also, the car seems to bounce in a funny way over expansion joints on bridges for example. It doesn't seem to have the same damping from one side of the car to the other because it feels like it rocks diagonally as it reacts to the bumps.

Is this a known problem for anyone else? I have a feeling it is a combination needing an alignment correction and maybe replacing the shocks / struts with good ones (non-recycled). I am thinking now the right side of the car has different damping than the left.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

My advice would be take it back to the dealer and have them check into the issues you are experiencing.

To throw some ideas out there, the instability at higher speeds could be caused by the alignment being out of spec. The rocking or wiggling could be the rear subframe bushings. Do some searching on RSFB and you will see this can be the cause of what you're experiencing. Do you have non-runflat tires?

On the other hand, you had major suspension repairs so it really could be a number of things.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
amsnow440
Olmec's Temple Guard
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT, 05 Legacy GT

You're not going over 88mph are you?!? If you are, you're gonna see some serious shit...

Haha but seriously, I would start with tire pressures and alignment. Are there any noises and/or vibrations along with this instability? Again it could be any number of things...
      07-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Pissoff
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08, 128i e88

My first thought is they put used dampers on that came off of mutipal cars. Thus the dampers on each axel may be worn more or less than the other. Same for front to rear. This makes the most sense to me from your description.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

I think it's the dampers. If they are stock, then that's likely your cause. I have the same problem with a car that gets all wibbly wobbly and floaty doing a straight pull down a straight road, and my car has never been in an accident. I bought replacement dampers (Koni Yellows) and will install them soon. On top of that, you may need an alignment, or may need to replace your control arms. Good reason to just once-over your suspension. Nothing can be broken if you remove and upgrade it.
      07-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #6
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Get an alignment done and ask for a printout of the alignment specs. In that kind of accident the rear subframe is likely to get bent. If the rear subframe wasn't replaced, it could be that damage will prevent the alignment shop from getting the correct rear toe specs.

Also possible to be issues with the dampers. The stock ones aren't much good even when they are new.
Appreciate 0