BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Jez
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i

Changing shocks and springs - parts to replace?

My 135i is on 54k (miles) and I'm about to order the Bilstein B12 kit (shocks and eibach springs).

I've been looking over the parts diagrams on realoem and the BMW workshop manual regarding the recommended replacement parts during shock replacement.

The workshop manual says to replace all locking nuts (of course), and then lists several items to replace if damaged.

Red mark = Replace
Orange = Replace if damaged

What does everyone else do when changing shocks? I'd rather not spend another £150 (priced them up via ebay and BMW) on these parts and then get round to the job to find out that they're in good condition. Or should I just take the view that the car is 6 years old, on 54k (miles) and they will likely be on the way out, so will need replacing in the next couple years anyway?

Can anyone point out the parts that are very unlikely to be poor condition?

Thanks

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Here's what I suggest.

Front -
1. OEM Top Mount (replace only if noisy/cracked rubber/grease is gone)
2. Top Mount Retaining Nuts (reuse and torque to spec)
3. Shock/Damper Shaft Retaining Nut (suggest replacing if not supplied with new dampers/shocks) [personally I've reused several times and apply BLUE loc-tite]
5. Top Mount to Body Gasket (replace if damaged or just replace because they're cheap)
12. Spring Pad Lower (replace if damaged or cracked, or just replace because they're cheap)

Rear -
2. Damper/Shock Lower Mount Retaining Nut (replace if not supplied new) [personally I've reused several times and apply RED loc-tite]
3. Bump Stop and Dust Cover (replace if damaged)
6. Top Mount Lower (I suggest replacing or getting Dinan)
7. Top Mount Upper (I suggest replacing or getting Dinan)

Rear Suspension -
5. Lower Control Arm Damper/Shock Mount (replace if damaged or cracked, do not remove before inspection as it could be fine to use and if you've removed you would need to replace the retaining bolts)
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

What he said above, but I would definitely replace the front top mount with over 50K on the clock. You don't want to do this job over again, especially if you are paying someone to do it.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Jez
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks guys, I'm pretty much replacing everything. As you said HP, it's not worth doing it again in a year just to save a small outlay now.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Great thread. Just got some coilovers waiting to be installed. I was looking for something like this
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I too am also going to replace my suspension with koni yellows, hopefully this weekend, with a 128i with 20k miles. Sounds like I shouldn't replace anything!
      07-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I too am also going to replace my suspension with koni yellows, hopefully this weekend, with a 128i with 20k miles. Sounds like I shouldn't replace anything!
With that low of miles you are good to go with all the OE parts that are currently on your car.
Appreciate 1