E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > For those of you with Nav.....

10-26-2005, 06:05 AM   #1
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
For those of you with Nav.....

does the system seem to lag when you tell it what to do, either thru voice command or thru the idrive button. Also, what are your biggest praises about it and your worst critizisms about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
My system seems to lag.....but nothing to really complain about. I'm a computer tech and it's the same story...."My computers soooo slow" Alot of people have NO clue what it takes for all of that stuff to work behind the scenes. My biggest compliaint is that if you get a call it does not go to the previous action automatically.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep

Garage List
anybody else have any comments
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

Yes, there is a bit of a lag but I am also used to it. I do like the split screen, so I can have the CD/phone or whatever on the left and a nav screen on the right. In full blown nav mode I can put the map on the larger left screen.

Other than the previous comments in another thread of not being able to sort local restaurants by name, or being able to enter a name and map a route , I find it to be quite nice. But then again, I really haven't used many other nav systems so I have my blinders on.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I agree with most of you

1) Lag
2) Not being able to search for places

Other than that, I haven't had a problem with i-Drive and I enjoy using it
      10-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
StevenT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I have a new E90 with Nav, and have conflicting viewpoints on it.

First, some pros:
In terms of performing its intended function (getting you from point A to point B), the navigation system works fine. Having i-Drive also allows you to control certain vehicle settings which would otherwise have to be adjusted by the dealer (i.e., locks, lights). Having a trip computer to track time/distance/average speed/mpg/etc for a trip is also nice to have. I'm still learning all the voice control commands. The basic voice commands (i.e., Sat radio on) seem to work well, although I'm having difficulty getting voice commands to work with respect to various navigation controls. I'm presuming a lot of these issues I'm experiencing with voice control will be resolved as I better learn the system and how to use it.

Now the cons:
I don't care what all the die-hard Bimmer lovers say, the i-Drive interface is poorly designed (compared to other navigation systems I have used in Honda/Acura/Lexus as well as various stand-alone units). I understand the concept of being able to control everything through one knob, verses using a touchscreen, and I have no problems with the concept. But if you plan on having a system that relies on a single button/controller to control everything, then you need to make every effort in designing an interface that allows you to navigate the system and enter data with a minimum number of turns/pushes of the knob. I-Drive does not accomplish this. I'm not saying the system isn't usable, nor am I saying that it's difficult to learn (because it's not), it's just cumbersome to use.

I'm also purplexed by some of the design decisions that went into the system. For example, the screen is divided into a main screen which accounts for about 2/3 of the total display, and a supplemental screen that accounts for about 1/3 of the total display. This is a great idea as you can display two different functions at the same time (i.e., display both navigation and entertainment). However, it's not possible to just display one function across the entire display. For instance, if you decide you just want to see a map, and don't want anything showing on the supplemental screen, your only option is to turn the supplemental screen off. In other words, it's not possible to have the map show on the entire display. You are still limited to the main screen section. Consequently, 1/3 of the screen is wasted. To me, this simply is an example of poor design and bad programming (based on my experience as an electrical/computer engineer with programming experience). Similarly, the smaller supplemental screen is limited to showing various navigation maps or a trip computer. Thus, if you want both the radio/CD functions and a map to be displayed, the radio must be displayed in the larger main screen, while the map has to be cut-off in order to be displayed in the smaller supplemental screen. Yet, the actual amount of information shown for the radio/CD is relatively small, and likely only occupies about a quarter of the main screen. Again, another example of poor design where a large portion of the screen is wasted. The logical design would have been to display the radio/CD functions in the smaller supplemental screen, where all the information could still be easily displayed, while placing the navigation map in the larger main screen section.

In terms of speed, I do think the system is somewhat slow and often exhibits some lag between screens. However, in my experience, almost every system that uses an integrated processor and operating system (i.e., smartphones, many pda's, virtually every vehicle navigation system, etc) are underpowered. This is a common problem exhibited by a lot of companies and their products, and is simply an issue of balancing performance with costs. A faster processor or more efficient programming could speed up the system, but that requires more time and/or money. In this respect, I consider BMW no better or no worse than everyone else. Would I like to see a faster processor in i-Drive? Yes. But the current system is useable in terms of speed.

Would I recommend getting i-Drive/navigation? Depends....

If you travel a lot for business and could use a navigation system, get it. It gets the job done, and will look a lot better than any aftermarket system installed later.

If you want to be able to impress your friends with your car, get it. Most people will find it "cool".

Are you a technogeek like I am, and like working/playing with computers? If so, then get it.

In summary:
The system works, it offers more contol over various vehicle settings, and has a definite "coolness" factor. If you feel comfortable in programming a vcr or can use a computer for everyday tasks without intervention/help from others, then you can learn to use the i-Drive system. Could the system have been designed better? Definitely. Regardless, if I was buying an E90 tomorrow, I would still get it with i-Drive/navigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The lag for me isn't bad at all, just takes a sec or two. I find no problems with Idrive and Navi, it works great!
      10-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep

Garage List
now, that is what i am talking about. A good synopsis. both pros and cons
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
saalim
Non Resident
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I am pretty happy with my i-drive and Nav.

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Well said StevenT.

Even with the cons/lack of certain functions, I'm happy with my iDrive. What can I say, I'm a technogeek.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0