BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
08 135i streetable build!

hey im new to the forum but figured id go ahead and make a build thread. got my berk axle back on the way from speed freaks for 450 bucks shipped which to me was a great deal. also ordered my ER chargepipe with tial BOV. my car is already lowered but its more form over function at this point. im mosty going to do performance mods to the powertrain, not so much make it a corner ripping track car. Very excited to start building!! looking for tips, recommendations anything to help with a good street build
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Welcome

I'd highly recommend a FMIC upgrade if you plan on seriously power modding. TONS of info can be found here, just gotta do a bit of digging/searching.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Just a suggestion. If youre searching for anything, use google and just add 1addicts into the search bar. The search function here sucks bad.
      02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Welcome

I'd highly recommend a FMIC upgrade if you plan on seriously power modding. TONS of info can be found here, just gotta do a bit of digging/searching.
definitely on my list. i dont want to modify my bumper though, is there an upgraded FMIC small enough to bolt up to a stok bumper??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Just a suggestion. If youre searching for anything, use google and just add 1addicts into the search bar. The search function here sucks bad.
thats normally what i do anyways, or if i hear about a part i dont know of ill google it and i almost always find info in 1addicts from google. i like reading customer reviews on the site and see what different 1addicts members have to say
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen View Post
definitely on my list. i dont want to modify my bumper though, is there an upgraded FMIC small enough to bolt up to a stok bumper??
The ETS 5" kit bolts right up. Zero cutting, trimming of the bumper. You do have to remove one clamp permenantly but can be replaced with a normal tbolt or worm gear clamp no problem.

VRSF also offers a good quality modification free fmic kit. Great pricepoint and i hear they are working to improve their current IC You can get a set of catless DPs and a FMIC from VRSF for ~750 total shipped to you. You cant beat that price.
      02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

get the VRSF downpipe and intercooler, get a tune and run a e85 mixture, your car will be another animal.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
The ETS 5" kit bolts right up. Zero cutting, trimming of the bumper. You do have to remove one clamp permenantly but can be replaced with a normal tbolt or worm gear clamp no problem.

VRSF also offers a good quality modification free fmic kit. Great pricepoint and i hear they are working to improve their current IC You can get a set of catless DPs and a FMIC from VRSF for ~750 total shipped to you. You cant beat that price.
wow that is a great deal sounds like ill definitely look into going that route. good quality, no leaks on the FMIC? sounds almost too good to be true
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
get the VRSF downpipe and intercooler, get a tune and run a e85 mixture, your car will be another animal.
im paying on the car so i dont want to go too crazy. im thinking full exhaust with O2 sim, possibly JB4, intercooler and my ER charge pipe. i have to do more research on parts but for now thats the route im going to go. but maybe after it gets paid off it will become a track car??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow that is a great deal sounds like ill definitely look into going that route. good quality, no leaks on the FMIC? sounds almost too good to be true
Tiago is a great guy. Provides a very good product value. He ensures everything fits up properly and i have yet to hear anyone say they have had a problem with their products. PM him on here for more info, hes more active on e90 post. He is currently out of stock of both the IC and the DPs but he is expecting a new shipment of both in the next few weeks.

Quote:
im paying on the car so i dont want to go too crazy. im thinking full exhaust with O2 sim, possibly JB4, intercooler and my ER charge pipe. i have to do more research on parts but for now thats the route im going to go. but maybe after it gets paid off it will become a track car??
If youre concerned at all about total modding costs, the full DP-back exhaust is pretty wide open. A lot of people prefer it for its looks and sound over aftermarket products. I had a Rogue axleback and it droned like crazy at my cruising RPMs for 40miles each way every day. It came off pretty quickly for the stock unit. For <2k in mods, you can have a 450whp little rocketship. It gets difficult to fit wheels and tires that hold all the power to the ground
      02-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Tiago is a great guy. Provides a very good product value. He ensures everything fits up properly and i have yet to hear anyone say they have had a problem with their products. PM him on here for more info, hes more active on e90 post. He is currently out of stock of both the IC and the DPs but he is expecting a new shipment of both in the next few weeks.

If youre concerned at all about total modding costs, the full DP-back exhaust is pretty wide open. A lot of people prefer it for its looks and sound over aftermarket products. I had a Rogue axleback and it droned like crazy at my cruising RPMs for 40miles each way every day. It came off pretty quickly for the stock unit. For <2k in mods, you can have a 450whp little rocketship. It gets difficult to fit wheels and tires that hold all the power to the ground

Anything that helps my car breathe better I will do. FMIC is a must. Full exhaust is a must. Anyone experience the Berk axle back?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Its certianly one of the more popular brands. They offer a midpipe also that seems to sound good to the majority.
      02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
02 sims are for catless downpipes. Most of the <2010 1 series or 3 series owners are paying on the car, not lease.

If your doing a full exhaust, intercooler and charge pipe, those things without a tune will equal very little in terms of performance gains. You need a tune to really take advantage of all those mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Its certianly one of the more popular brands. They offer a midpipe also that seems to sound good to the majority.
If the axle back is loud enough I may skip the mids and go to downpipes
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
02 sims are for catless downpipes. Most of the <2010 1 series or 3 series owners are paying on the car, not lease.

If your doing a full exhaust, intercooler and charge pipe, those things without a tune will equal very little in terms of performance gains. You need a tune to really take advantage of all those mods.
I know I will need to run a tune. I just don't want to run meth or tune on e85 quite yet. I will tune the car for cat less though and squeeze more power from the car because I know its choked down
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

I have the vrsf down pipe. Great by and build super fast shipping and best price around. I think you asked me about the jb4 plug? I responded but maybe an n54 guy can let you know for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #17
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:

Still have the rogue??? Ill buy it from you. This is the exhaust I really wanted but its not being made any more
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #18
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed
Quote:

If youre concerned at all about total modding costs, the full DP-back exhaust is pretty wide open. A lot of people prefer it for its looks and sound over aftermarket products. I had a Rogue axleback and it droned like crazy at my cruising RPMs for 40miles each way every day. It came off pretty quickly for the stock unit. For &lt;2k in mods, you can have a 450whp little rocketship. It gets difficult to fit wheels and tires that hold all the power to the ground
Still have the rogue??? Ill buy it from you. This is the exhaust I really wanted but its not being made any more
Sold it to a local guy. Peasouped is his username here. You could try to convince him :P
      02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
I have the vrsf down pipe. Great by and build super fast shipping and best price around. I think you asked me about the jb4 plug? I responded but maybe an n54 guy can let you know for sure
Yea I did ask about jb4. When I get to that point I'll be doing the downpipes, intercooler and tune all at once. That will be the biggest gain in power.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Honestly, i would suggest doing the upgrades in stages so you can get a feel for the newly gained power. JB4/Cobb AP will be your best power/$ gain period no question. There are pros/cons to each tune but both will get you similar results. I would start with that and get a feel for it. 2nd gear traction becomes an issue with anything non-ultimate summer tire or better.

Then, once you feel comfortable with the car, start adding parts. You wont save yourself much if any cost on install if thats what youre thinking and i think getting a feel for how the car responds at different stages is important for good control. Who knows, maybe youll be more than satisfied with just a tune and dont need another 50+whp. Plenty of people do that and are more than happy with their car.

Just my .02. I have no idea what your car/power background is but this car is very very different from my other cars with the instant availability of power in a ~3200# RWD car without an LSD.
      02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Honestly, i would suggest doing the upgrades in stages so you can get a feel for the newly gained power. JB4/Cobb AP will be your best power/$ gain period no question. There are pros/cons to each tune but both will get you similar results. I would start with that and get a feel for it. 2nd gear traction becomes an issue with anything non-ultimate summer tire or better.

Then, once you feel comfortable with the car, start adding parts. You wont save yourself much if any cost on install if thats what youre thinking and i think getting a feel for how the car responds at different stages is important for good control. Who knows, maybe youll be more than satisfied with just a tune and dont need another 50+whp. Plenty of people do that and are more than happy with their car.

Just my .02. I have no idea what your car/power background is but this car is very very different from my other cars with the instant availability of power in a ~3200# RWD car without an LSD.
Yea more than likely I'll do that anyways because I don't have the money just to throw at all the parts I want. And yea ideally 400 is about all I need that's plenty in an already quick car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
If the axle back is loud enough I may skip the mids and go to downpipes
I would strongly recommend berk midpipes if you plan on going catless+axle back (sport or race). DPs add a good deal of rasp, and without real resonators it can start to sound a bit too tinny for my tastes. Berk mids do an excellent job of cutting that rasp out, and really richen up the overall tone. Actually I bet downpipes+berk mids+stock muffler would sound great.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0