BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
TheBurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Satellite Radio not able to acquire signal or activate

2009 135 w/iDrive. Bought used, had the Sat Prep package, and I bought a used Sirius module off the board, installed it, had the dealership code it in, and it worked perfect, until yesterday.

My car had been at the dealer for a few days diagnosing a Engine Malfunction light. When I got the car back, I noticed that if I tried to tune to the Sirius stations, it brings me to a screen that says the ESN Radio ID number, and a 800 number to call Sirius to activate the radio.

I have called Sirius to re-activate the radio, and they have sent activation signals out the wazoo, and the radio won't receive them. I am told you have to tune to chnl 184 (preview channel) in order to receive the signals, but the radio in the car won't let me change to that channel, it just keeps bringing up the "Call Sirius" screen. It is stuck on another station.

My initial thought was my subscription ran out, however after remembering my research, and combining it with the fact that the radio went out the exact same time I picked it up from the dealer, is it possible that the dealership reset the car to factory defaults during the diagnosis, and erased the coding that they did a few months ago that "activated" the Sirius radio? I think I remember reading about that happening to someone, but I can't find the thread.

When the Sat worked previously, at the top of the screen, I would see a set of bars, like on a cell phone to dictate signal strength, and it would say "Acquiring" when/if it tried to get a signal. However, neither of those show up now, at all.

I called my SA, and he did not know off the bat what would cause the Sat to stop working, and I can't bring the car back for a few days due to my schedule. Seeing if anyone has any ideas to try before I go back.

I've tried the "hold the volume knob down for 25 seconds" to reset the iDrive, and that didn't seem to help anything.

Thanks for reading this long post.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Sounds like to me that when they re-flashed the software, they left out the coding for Sirius since your VIN showed them that option was not present. Probably a trip to the dealer is called for to re-code Sirius.
      06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Ralkin203
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i convertible

I've made a "deal" on a certified '09 128i convertible, but the after the dealer said the radio could be upgraded to satellite, he found out that the radio in this car is not compatible with the upgrade kits. Sirius has been my main source of entertainment in the car for about 7 years now. What "after-market" units will hook-up/install without looking "mickey mouse" and still perform the way factory installed units do?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
thompsnj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Sirius Satellite radio problem

Were you able to get your radio activated? If so, Please advise me as to what you did to correct the problem.

I have the exact same issue which occurred after the previous owner of the car deactivated his Sirius account and I initiated activating my account with Sirius. I'm stuck on one channel, can't access 184 and get the same messages you desribed in your message.

The Sirius tech team is a joke to work with and I have been to the dealership and they don't know what the problen is.

Any assistance is appreciated !!!

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
TheBurro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralkin203 View Post
I've made a "deal" on a certified '09 128i convertible, but the after the dealer said the radio could be upgraded to satellite, he found out that the radio in this car is not compatible with the upgrade kits. Sirius has been my main source of entertainment in the car for about 7 years now. What "after-market" units will hook-up/install without looking "mickey mouse" and still perform the way factory installed units do?
I never found a great option aside from the factory stereo, which is why I went with it. My car had the Satellite Prep kit though so I was able to just buy the factory tuner.

You might check out a product Pioneer (i think it's Pioneer, check out Best Buy's website) has that is a handheld XM radio, looks like a walkie talkie. It basically can just be plugged in to the aux port to play through the stereo, and when you are not in the car you can take it with you and listen to XM elsewhere. It's a little expensive ($200+ iirc) but it doesn't involve clunky wiring or pieces to mount to the car.

The few aftermarket companies I contacted that make BMW stereo part add-ons told me they won't bother with the iDrive / MOST system in the car, so they don't make piggyback satellite kits for our cars. However, if you don't have iDrive, you may find they do make kits, maybe? I never looked in to that, as it wasn't my option.

I got this response from Bavarian Soundwerks, just as an example:
Unfortunately we don't work with OEM satellite radio kits, or any kits for your car for that matter. The overhead cost is prohibitively expensive for the newer MOST-based vehicles, and most dealerships will refuse to install anything into the vehicles that wasn't purchased from them.

Last edited by TheBurro; 06-11-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
TheBurro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsnj View Post
Were you able to get your radio activated? If so, Please advise me as to what you did to correct the problem.

I have the exact same issue which occurred after the previous owner of the car deactivated his Sirius account and I initiated activating my account with Sirius. I'm stuck on one channel, can't access 184 and get the same messages you desribed in your message.

The Sirius tech team is a joke to work with and I have been to the dealership and they don't know what the problen is.

Any assistance is appreciated !!!

Thank you
I dropped it back at the dealer and they fixed it. He said they were on the phone with Sirius tech support for an hour and they figured out the issue. That's all I know. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
thompsnj
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurro View Post
I dropped it back at the dealer and they fixed it. He said they were on the phone with Sirius tech support for an hour and they figured out the issue. That's all I know. Sorry!
Thank you... What dealership did you take it too?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
TheBurro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsnj View Post
Thank you... What dealership did you take it too?
BMW of San Antonio
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
thompsnj
Registered
Rep

Sirius Radio Issue

Hello again... Do you know the name of your Service advisor at BMW of San Antonio? I really appreciate your assistance. I'm trying to learn what they did to resolve your Sirius radio issue so i can get mine fixed. They asked me for the last 4 numbers of you vin number as well to locate the persons involved in making the repair. I really appreciate any info you feel comfortable with providing. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

another unresolved thread, I'd like to know too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Here is what the guy's told me --> http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222779

I haven't tried coding my car for it yet (I can code my own car).
Appreciate 0