Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
reviving the beaten to death thread, calling all 1m/n54 owners tracking their beasts, anyone been running a solution they could recommend? i would like to running a larger oil cooler in the stock location and have been looking at the dinan and er ones (can't seem to find any other companies AR? VK? for the 1m) but from what i've read a single er is kinda meh and i haven't found a thread with anyone tracking their dinan one, what have you guys been running? i just ran at buttonwillow in socal at 80 degree ambient temps and my car was easily getting to 270-280 and this is with the csf radiator running about 75% water + Redline water wetter and coolant. car is definitely more steady with its temps with the csf radiator and the cooldown is amazing compared to stock but i would like to combat the oil as well. currently running bmw 5w30, have about two changes left, but after thinking of going to a 5w40 or 0w40 for the summer track days (us U.S. cars are supposed to stick to ll-01 right vs ll-04 yes?) thanks team

oh also, how's your oil cooler been for dailying? i would like a solution that doesn't keep the car from reaching solid operating temps, i've read that the stock oil cooler has a bypass which i understand most aftermarket kits rid of when installed and was wondering how its been affecting peoples dailying/short drives.. if you guys daily your 1m's at all of course haha *shyly asks but yeah haha, would love to hear from you experienced trackers

oh forgot to mention, car is stock minus the radiator and charge pipe and soon to be HMS axleback
Sorry to hijack, but where are you getting your HMS from? I think this one is my favorite.
      06-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #24
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Sorry to hijack, but where are you getting your HMS from? I think this one is my favorite.
GimmeanM from hms! https://www.hms-tuning.de/en/product...2-1er-m-coupe/ sent a request email from the exhaust page and they were on top of getting back to me. spoke with enrico cool dude
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #25
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
GimmeanM from hms! https://www.hms-tuning.de/en/product...2-1er-m-coupe/ sent a request email from the exhaust page and they were on top of getting back to me. spoke with enrico cool dude
Nice. How much did the quote end up with shipping? They only make a stainless version, right?
      06-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #26
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice. How much did the quote end up with shipping? They only make a stainless version, right?
pm sent!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I'll throw my two cents worth in this discussion because it's a lovely saturday morning and too hot to do anything today. : )

Here it is. The radiator cools the "engine coolant" hence the primary method to cool the engine. I know everyone has different opinions, but can we agree on that?

OK, seeing as the radiator is the primary method of cooling the engine, it will have the biggest cooling effect, even on the oil. Whereas, the oil cooler wouldn't have as much effect on the coolant. Seeing as our cars already have an oil cooler, I would first approach the radiator and improve both thermal capacity and and airflow. If you can cool the coolant better, it will help keep the oil also.

You could have an oil cooler twice the size of the radiator and if the radiator is not working, the car will still overheat so if you are racing, you really should address the radiator, airflow, fans and the water pump. Luckily, our pump can speed up when needed so really the radiator, fans and airflow are the most important part.

Personally, I have always wondered about the underside cover since all the heat coming from the oil coolers, radiators, intercooler goes into the engine bay and is kept there by the underside cover. I would consider venting that somehow but it can also have aerodynamic considerations and reduce protection from objects jumping up on the track.

One of the biggest problems with the radiator however, is that the AC Condenser is in front of it, reducing airflow to the radiator. I assume you are not running AC on the track of course.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the interesting thread!

So I would look the radiator
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
digwm170.50
      06-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I'll throw my two cents worth in this discussion because it's a lovely saturday morning and too hot to do anything today. : )

Here it is. The radiator cools the "engine coolant" hence the primary method to cool the engine. I know everyone has different opinions, but can we agree on that?

OK, seeing as the radiator is the primary method of cooling the engine, it will have the biggest cooling effect, even on the oil. Whereas, the oil cooler wouldn't have as much effect on the coolant. Seeing as our cars already have an oil cooler, I would first approach the radiator and improve both thermal capacity and and airflow. If you can cool the coolant better, it will help keep the oil also.

You could have an oil cooler twice the size of the radiator and if the radiator is not working, the car will still overheat so if you are racing, you really should address the radiator, airflow, fans and the water pump. Luckily, our pump can speed up when needed so really the radiator, fans and airflow are the most important part.

Personally, I have always wondered about the underside cover since all the heat coming from the oil coolers, radiators, intercooler goes into the engine bay and is kept there by the underside cover. I would consider venting that somehow but it can also have aerodynamic considerations and reduce protection from objects jumping up on the track.

One of the biggest problems with the radiator however, is that the AC Condenser is in front of it, reducing airflow to the radiator. I assume you are not running AC on the track of course.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the interesting thread!

So I would look the radiator
running that csf radiator which has been great, ive been thinking about ventilation too but would like to keep the hood and undertray intact for the reason you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Could you not just replace the 2 standard rads in the arch liners with bigger, more efficient ones? The ER Sport/Advan oil coolers have large rads, something similar but for both sides would certainly help.

I've got the ER competition on my 135, as I don't have the extra water cooler, and track my car. Recently at Silverstone my oil temp didn't get above 110℃ degs after 6 continuous laps.
      06-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #30
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Could you not just replace the 2 standard rads in the arch liners with bigger, more efficient ones? The ER Sport/Advan oil coolers have large rads, something similar but for both sides would certainly help.

I've got the ER competition on my 135, as I don't have the extra water cooler, and track my car. Recently at Silverstone my oil temp didn't get above 110℃ degs after 6 continuous laps.
wow 110 is great, if i didn't have that aux radiator on the drivers side i would totally opt for er's comp dual coolers, i dropped a larger radiator in recently (the csf one) and its been working great im thinking i just need a larger oil cooler to supplement the new rad. i've heard great things about the dual coolers but haven't found much on members who've been running larger radiators and larger single oil coolers (only that one thread where someone mentions their single ER cooler wasn't quite getting the job done, not sure if he had a larger radiator as well), side question: are you running with the stock thermostat Tinsta? and how are your warm-up times? i remember you helping me with the exhaust hangers (still waiting for my exhaust to arrive), thanks again here regarding the oil coolers mate

another side question: does anyone know if there's an upgrade option for the aux rad cooler?? i guess i could just go dual oil with the larger rad in now but was just wondering/i would like to keep the aux rad just to keep it stock feeling
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #31
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

The CSF 8042 is a drop in upgrade but it is unclear to me how significant an upgrade it is. But it's the only one I know of that doesn't require trimming or anything else. When I talked to ER a while back they recommended the sport (I.e. Single) cooler rather than the competition twin.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      06-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #32
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
The CSF 8042 is a drop in upgrade but it is unclear to me how significant an upgrade it is. But it's the only one I know of that doesn't require trimming or anything else. When I talked to ER a while back they recommended the sport (I.e. Single) cooler rather than the competition twin.
ooooh for the aux radiator yah? thats super cool and thanks for passing that info forward, are you still running stock cooler @ayao or did you end up upgrading?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #33
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
ooooh for the aux radiator yah? thats super cool and thanks for passing that info forward, are you still running stock cooler @ayao or did you end up upgrading?
Sorry - to clarify - the 8042 is a drop-in replacement for the stock OEM auxiliary OIL cooler. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337125
When I talked to ER they reported their experience which was that overall temps would be effectively controlled on the 1M with their stock sport (single) oil cooler because of the 1M's aux radiator, and that the dual competition cooler was unnecessary.
I'm personally don't have any cooling upgrades (yet) although it seems increasingly likely that I'm going to install a 7045 radiator, if for any purpose just for (hopefully) increasingly the longevity of the car. Some of this is just shooting in the dark though because I don't know what water temps I'm encountering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a P3 gauge just so that I can monitor coolant temps.

Regarding the dinan oil cooler, the only feedback I can offer hearsay from a guy running a tuned (400hp) 335i yesterday at MRLS. When I was talking to him about cooling mods, he said that after he installed the Dinan oil cooler, all of his limp mode issues went away.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      06-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #34
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry - to clarify - the 8042 is a drop-in replacement for the stock OEM auxiliary OIL cooler. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337125
When I talked to ER they reported their experience which was that overall temps would be effectively controlled on the 1M with their stock sport (single) oil cooler because of the 1M's aux radiator, and that the dual competition cooler was unnecessary.
I'm personally don't have any cooling upgrades (yet) although it seems increasingly likely that I'm going to install a 7045 radiator, if for any purpose just for (hopefully) increasingly the longevity of the car. Some of this is just shooting in the dark though because I don't know what water temps I'm encountering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a P3 gauge just so that I can monitor coolant temps.

Regarding the dinan oil cooler, the only feedback I can offer hearsay from a guy running a tuned (400hp) 335i yesterday at MRLS. When I was talking to him about cooling mods, he said that after he installed the Dinan oil cooler, all of his limp mode issues went away.
oh wow, awesome coincidence, good to hear some positive feedback on the dinan cooler. oh and thank you for the clarification, thats awesome that csf has a radiator upgrade for the oil cooler, might have to go that route if i don't end up going er or dinan.

also thanks for the e90post link, cool read, and word regarding the p3 gauge, i'm also shooting in the dark regarding coolant temps. i was in the same boat as you when i thought of getting the 7045 for longevity reasons. at the track i was always worried about the temps so when they got high i would run an early cooldown lap and pit in. so just for peace of mind and to safeguard against ever getting the temps too high and ever going limp i decided to drop in the 7045 and its been working great. can't comment on the water temps but it noticeably faster in bringing the car's oil temps back down to normal operating levels (i know bmw says the car's oil goes to 300 but jeebus i rather not push it anywhere near there), usually would have to run a 3/4 to full cooldown lap to get the temps back below 250 but now it takes me about half a lap. the temps now drop even when i'm driving through the pits to my spot; if i happen to come off the track without a cooldown lap and oil around 270, i usually just drive around the paddock real slowly (< 14 mph paddock speed limit at buttonwillow) and it drops down to 260 in about 30-45 seconds i'd say and then with another minute or so, stabilizes under 250 to around 240 or so, would definitely recommend , its been a blessing. now i'd just love to have the temps locked down at no more than 260 when going balls deep at the track.

other than the dinan and er single oil cooler upgrades have you guys run across any other companies with larger single oil coolers for our cars? i never tuned my previous car so i'm just getting acquainted with how bolt-on's go/how cars work in general/what companies are out there, thanks again all, cheers

Last edited by digwm1; 06-18-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #35
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
wow 110 is great, if i didn't have that aux radiator on the drivers side i would totally opt for er's comp dual coolers, i dropped a larger radiator in recently (the csf one) and its been working great im thinking i just need a larger oil cooler to supplement the new rad. i've heard great things about the dual coolers but haven't found much on members who've been running larger radiators and larger single oil coolers (only that one thread where someone mentions their single ER cooler wasn't quite getting the job done, not sure if he had a larger radiator as well), side question: are you running with the stock thermostat Tinsta? and how are your warm-up times? i remember you helping me with the exhaust hangers (still waiting for my exhaust to arrive), thanks again here regarding the oil coolers mate

another side question: does anyone know if there's an upgrade option for the aux rad cooler?? i guess i could just go dual oil with the larger rad in now but was just wondering/i would like to keep the aux rad just to keep it stock feeling
Warm up is longer, and tends to stay around 90℃ mark in normal road driving, I already had the BMS low temp sensor fitted, so oil would always go to the cooler. I guess with the ER kit now, I could go back to use the OEM temp sensor with spring, so it'll only open once upto reasonable temp.
My car isn't a daily driver, other than driving to/from the track.

As you've already got the CSF radiator for water cooling, I would just get the bigger cooler rad's and replace the OEM ones, keep all the piping the same etc, something along the lines of advan cooler which uses a sebtrab more efficient rad.

I've got a v2 performance wheel fitted, which shows the oil and water temps on the lcd screen, very useful.
      06-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #36
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Warm up is longer, and tends to stay around 90℃ mark in normal road driving, I already had the BMS low temp sensor fitted, so oil would always go to the cooler. I guess with the ER kit now, I could go back to use the OEM temp sensor with spring, so it'll only open once upto reasonable temp.
My car isn't a daily driver, other than driving to/from the track.

As you've already got the CSF radiator for water cooling, I would just get the bigger cooler rad's and replace the OEM ones, keep all the piping the same etc, something along the lines of advan cooler which uses a sebtrab more efficient rad.

I've got a v2 performance wheel fitted, which shows the oil and water temps on the lcd screen, very useful.
yeah, honestly speaking, never understood why people were getting the v2 as i couldn't really come to terms with the lights all over the top of the steering wheel but now that i've seen how there isn't a way to gauge water temps, its definitely something i'll probably be considering

and thanks for the link to the advan cooler, that actually looks like a solid step forward, i'ma have to look into going that route as well now

and word, i'm trying my hardest to fight the temptation to go full blown track 1m as it is my daily so i'm mega jealous you've got yours just for the weekends/track days

thanks again for all your help Tinsta
Appreciate 1
Tinsta189.00
      06-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #37
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have been watching my temps on the accessport for the past few days since I discovered in this thread that "ECT" is Engine Coolant Temp.

On a cold start, my coolant temp rises to about 210-215F within the first 5-6 minutes and stays there until the oil temp reaches 215F. Once the oil is up to 215, the coolant temp is brought down and maintained at 180-190F. It seems to be by design to get the oil warmed up as quickly as possible. This is all stock cooling hardware.

I'll report back after a track day. I am interested to see whether I will need to upgrade the oil cooler or primary radiator. I will run a slightly detuned map at the track. (17psi max tapering to 13psi at 6k). Now to find the time in my schedule for a track day.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:10 AM   #38
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

No problem digwm1.
Another option to get the coolant/oil temps etc is via the hidden secret menu, which can show the temps on the lcd screen between the speed & tachno.

Further info here
      06-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #39
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Using the secret menu will the display continue showing coolant temps while driving?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #40
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Using the secret menu will the display continue showing coolant temps while driving?
Yes, until you switch the ignition off, you can scroll through the menu and see oil temps/battery voltage etc.
digwm170.50
      06-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #41
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I have been watching my temps on the accessport for the past few days since I discovered in this thread that "ECT" is Engine Coolant Temp.

On a cold start, my coolant temp rises to about 210-215F within the first 5-6 minutes and stays there until the oil temp reaches 215F. Once the oil is up to 215, the coolant temp is brought down and maintained at 180-190F. It seems to be by design to get the oil warmed up as quickly as possible. This is all stock cooling hardware.

I'll report back after a track day. I am interested to see whether I will need to upgrade the oil cooler or primary radiator. I will run a slightly detuned map at the track. (17psi max tapering to 13psi at 6k). Now to find the time in my schedule for a track day.
CarJunkie ooh please do report back, that'd be cool to hear what temps you hit stock while at the track

Tinsta once again thanks for awesome find hahaha, i'ma have to try that secret menu out later today and check out my own coolant temps
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #42
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

1M guys looking for a solution should give my thread a read through. I found one, but it wasn't cheap.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350738
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #43
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
1M guys looking for a solution should give my thread a read through. I found one, but it wasn't cheap.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350738
dope build, yeah i remember dropping a question about the temps on your thread some time ago, @hot-j would you happen to have a link to the page where you made your purchase? i can't seem to find it
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #44
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
dope build, yeah i remember dropping a question about the temps on your thread some time ago, @hot-j would you happen to have a link to the page where you made your purchase? i can't seem to find it
I finalize my details through email and ended up wire transferring the money so you'll have to email them
Appreciate 0