BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #23
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Mine went at 72K and I was a mile from home. I was lucky.
I'm now at 121K and wondering if Pump II is coming soon.
But, I thought I read somewhere that the replacement pumps are an improved design.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Anybody ever do forensics on a failed wp, make a determination on what fails and what would constitute an improved design?

oh, and I'm at ~71K miles on the original. I bought the kit first week I had the car, been sitting on the shelf ever since just in case. It'll get installed once the weather cools off here in FL, along with a variety of other bits & pieces I've gathered up over the summer...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Anybody ever do forensics on a failed wp, make a determination on what fails and what would constitute an improved design?

oh, and I'm at ~71K miles on the original. I bought the kit first week I had the car, been sitting on the shelf ever since just in case. It'll get installed once the weather cools off here in FL, along with a variety of other bits & pieces I've gathered up over the summer...
I forget who but someone commented on this - I think the pumps either split apart and leak or the electronics simply fail.

Don't blame you one bit! Even hanging out outside when its 80-90f I get so much more tired in the same amount of time.

And I'm convinced my pump has already been replaced before I got the car (got it at 80k). Coolant in there wasn't OEM, but who knows lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #26
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Mine went at 72K and I was a mile from home. I was lucky.
I'm now at 121K and wondering if Pump II is coming soon.
But, I thought I read somewhere that the replacement pumps are an improved design.
It would be great if the replacement water pumps were improved, but unlikely. The old and the new ones seem to have the same part number, leading me to conclude that they are equal.

Does anyone else have better information about the quality of the newer BMW electric water pumps?

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
PA135i966.50
      10-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #27
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Talking to my long-time indy the other day, he said they've seen a few replacements that cracked at or soon after installation, but we didn't go into details. Other than that, I wouldn't expect the new ones to be any different than the originals without a P/N change.

Given that the turbo motors seem to kill the pumps faster, I would suspect that heat is a primary factor in many failures. Whether it's the electronics or the mechanicals, it's impossible to say without dissecting one.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I feel you are just as likely to have the pump go at 20k as you are at 120k. So replacing it early only has marginal benefits.
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50
      10-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Mine just failed this morning, after I took it to the dealership Monday complaining of intermittent power loss manifest as nothing happening when I would press the gas at times (I started a thread a few days ago). The dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem.
I'm at 71,400 miles (2012).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Mine just failed this morning, after I took it to the dealership Monday complaining of intermittent power loss manifest as nothing happening when I would press the gas at times (I started a thread a few days ago). The dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem.
I'm at 71,400 miles (2012).
Damn, so that was the issue? Sucks, but a fairly easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Damn, so that was the issue? Sucks, but a fairly easy fix.
Still waiting on the official report from the dealership, but my problem, as I mentioned in my post the other day, was that I would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen - as if I were not pressing the pedal.
That doesn't indicate much in the way of water pump failure, but other members in my post said they had the same issue just before their water pump failed.
It was getting worse on my commute today then I got the yellow Engine Hot caution followed shortly thereafter (maybe 20-30 seconds) by the red Engine Overheating warning and limp mode.
I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, let it cool for about 45 min, then restarted and the caution was gone. I cautiously drove it to my dealership who is close (I'm still under CPO warranty - turning out to be a fantastic investment that I would recommend to anyone). So maybe mine hasn't COMPLETELY failed yet, but it's taking its last breaths.

Also oddly my engine oil temp has been running lower than normal the last few days. I would expect it to go up if the cooling system was failing to properly cool the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #32
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I feel you are just as likely to have the pump go at 20k as you are at 120k. So replacing it early only has marginal benefits.
I've been told the same thing by multiple people, so I'm also going to leave it until it fails (and I don't think about it until these threads pop up). I'm at 75K on my 2009. But I never take it on long trips or go out of town. Always within 10-20 miles of BMW indys (and dealers, worst case).

I thought the most common failure was the electronics (so impossible to predict)?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Still waiting on the official report from the dealership, but my problem, as I mentioned in my post the other day, was that I would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen - as if I were not pressing the pedal.
That doesn't indicate much in the way of water pump failure, but other members in my post said they had the same issue just before their water pump failed.
It was getting worse on my commute today then I got the yellow Engine Hot caution followed shortly thereafter (maybe 20-30 seconds) by the red Engine Overheating warning and limp mode.
I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, let it cool for about 45 min, then restarted and the caution was gone. I cautiously drove it to my dealership who is close (I'm still under CPO warranty - turning out to be a fantastic investment that I would recommend to anyone). So maybe mine hasn't COMPLETELY failed yet, but it's taking its last breaths.

Also oddly my engine oil temp has been running lower than normal the last few days. I would expect it to go up if the cooling system was failing to properly cool the engine.
If the water pump is going, usually the rad fan starts running at full speed all the time. Could be keeping the oil cooler?!?
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50
      10-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #34
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
57k and still going strong, I'm just gonna wait until it fails and get it replaced under warranty. The waterpump(and ohgf) was one of the main reason I purchased an extended warranty no way I'm paying for it out of pocket.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      10-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #35
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
...no way I'm paying for it out of pocket.
...unless it fails after your extended warranty expires.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.

Last edited by mackeroni; 10-12-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #36
ignote
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

55K on the pump? Wait on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #37
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Just to reiterate, mine failed today at 71k.
Never a hitch before that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #38
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

My service advisor said I was overdue at 80K miles and I had it replaced...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #39
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the water pump is going, usually the rad fan starts running at full speed all the time. Could be keeping the oil cooler?!?
This is good to know. I will listen closely for the radiator fan. Wish there was an easy way to monitor coolant temperature. I have a Carly, but nothing replaces a good old-fashioned dash mounted gauge.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42212.50
      10-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
...nothing replaces a good old-fashioned dash mounted gauge.
Oh so true.
      10-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #41
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

I don't know how to feel on this subject. On one hand, the water pump will fail, that's a given. Problem is, there are no signs really so you will be stuck at the least, or cause damage at worst... and I now work at a bmw store. I've had conversations with several techs about the issue, and you'll get 5 different opinions on the replace or leave it until it fails, but one thing they all say is that its a crappy design and it will fail. Nobody seems to know the exact reason they fail... My car only has 12500 miles on it now, but it is almost 7 years old. I've finally started driving it much more often, so we'll see. I'll probably have them change it some time next year, just because I don't want to worry about it every time I take a longer trip... and for that reason I feel more comfortable taking longer trips in my 100k+ Honda crv and that shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #42
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I don't know how to feel on this subject. On one hand, the water pump will fail, that's a given. Problem is, there are no signs really so you will be stuck at the least, or cause damage at worst... and I now work at a bmw store. I've had conversations with several techs about the issue, and you'll get 5 different opinions on the replace or leave it until it fails, but one thing they all say is that its a crappy design and it will fail. Nobody seems to know the exact reason they fail... My car only has 12500 miles on it now, but it is almost 7 years old. I've finally started driving it much more often, so we'll see. I'll probably have them change it some time next year, just because I don't want to worry about it every time I take a longer trip... and for that reason I feel more comfortable taking longer trips in my 100k+ Honda crv and that shouldn't be.
The reasoning you mention is exactly why I changed mine proactively (though granted at 100k miles). I'm driving from NY to Maine tomorrow - I would hate to do that drive, or a longer one, with the thought of water pump failure in my mind all the way.

A bunch of years ago I had a turbo blow up (full Spyhunter smokescreen and everything) at 1:00am on I95 near the South Carolina/Georgia border. Having had to go through that ordeal (imagine the fun of trying to find shop that was willing and able to swap a turbo on a Saab over a weekend in that area), I'm pretty committed to aggressive preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #43
drogods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6AT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
This is good to know. I will listen closely for the radiator fan. Wish there was an easy way to monitor coolant temperature. I have a Carly, but nothing replaces a good old-fashioned dash mounted gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Oh so true.
The P3 Cars vent gauge lets you monitor coolant temp, plus a number of other parameters. Highly recommended.

FWIW, I have 74k miles and I believe mine is still the stock pump. I bought the car at 62k miles with minimal service history available (not smart I know). I have an extended warranty through 1st US AutoProtect. I have yet to invoke this warranty as nothing has failed in the 12k miles ive put on the car, but I just discovered a crack in my valve cover so I am hoping the replacement will be covered.

As for preemptive replacement of the pump, Ive decided to just wait for it to fail as I live in a cold climate and the pump doesnt have to work too hard to keep the temps down. Im not sure if that is a factor in what causes the pump to fail though. Even with extended sporty driving my coolant rarely goes over 200 degrees, and I only saw the oil temp go over 250 degrees once on a hot summer day after some extended hard driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #44
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogods View Post
The P3 Cars vent gauge lets you monitor coolant temp, plus a number of other parameters. Highly recommended...
Very cool! Have not seen that before. Will consider, but $500 is a bit steep for a preassembled unit.

Thanks for the tip.

Mack
Appreciate 0