BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
wrldtravler84
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Exhaust install help

I just purchased the bmw performance exhaust for my 128i....i would like some advice from anyone as to installing if its easy enough for someone who hasnt done it befroe or should i have a professional do it. bmw says its $110/hr and roughly 3 hours and thats sounds outragous to me..any suggestion as to where to take it or even better the install if i need any special tools and what not. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I bought my car used w/ the exhaust already put on it (a 135i, not a 128 BTW). So I didn't do the install, but I did have to get under the car and solve a leak from it.

What I saw looked really straightforward - line the new exhaust up and see where the piping ends. Cut the existing exhaust at that point. Remove the old exhaust from the hangers. Put the new exhaust in place. Position the sleeves over the connection points and clamp them down.

Not much to it. There may be more, again I didn't do the work. But it sure did look simple. I'd say look over the instructions if it came with any, of it doesn't seem tough go for it. This is one of those mods where if you can't complete it, you don't kill the car in any way - you just have a rather loud drive to the dealer or an exhaust shop to finish the work.

(Making sure of course you haven't cut off too much of the old exhaust, or you'll be buying parts as well)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
It's a pretty easy install. I did it myself in my driveway with the rear end on jackstands and it took me less than three hours (and I am by no means an experienced wrencher). As far as special tools, you'll need to cut the stock exhaust out with something - I used a reciprocating saw. For me the most frustrating part was changing out the rubber bushings. I think the dealer techs probably have a special tool for that.

FYI, there is a DYI with photos in the 128i section that a member made. Do a search for it.
      01-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
wrldtravler84
Rep

Thanks for the advice for sure...ike i said i just ordered it and i hope there are instructions in it. I will look for that posting of the install. Will post pics when its done and will try for a vid for anyone whos interested
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
wrldtravler84
Rep

im noticing in other posts others are mentioning this damper...piece of rubber..whats that for and will i need it or is it just personal preference?
Appreciate 0