BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i Black on Black

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Exclamation DIY Request: Keyhole Cover

Ok so I purchased the E82 LHD Keyhole cover from Bimmian last month, I just got it in last week(it was previously on backorder) and tried installing it but I am having some trouble. I have no trouble taking out the lock assembly, but it seems like there is something off with the keyhole cover, it doesn't slide in easily, or at all for that matter. If someone who has the one from bimmian can let me know what they did to get theirs to fit, or if they had fitment issues and were able to correct it somehow, please let me know. Thanks in Advanced.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Sounds like maybe you have the wrong part, maybe due to your lighting package?

I completely botched up my install. I thought it was an actual keyhole cover. You are actually removing your entire lock mechanism and replacing it with this piece. I made mine work by dremelling the cover until it fit over my lock mechanism. It worked but eventually broke. Doubt I helped, I'm just trying to make sure you are not trying to do it like I did. Good luck!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, I had read your experience somewhere, but no, I am following the videos I found online, and the paper instructions. I also, know I got the right one, it has the cutout for the lighting under the handle. But thanks for putting your experience, and thoughts, I do appreciate it. Hopefully someone will have gone through this and have a solution
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Slightly OT: If you install a keyhole cover, what happens if your electronic system fails? Isn't that a problem if the car battery dies?
      12-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Slightly OT: If you install a keyhole cover, what happens if your electronic system fails? Isn't that a problem if the car battery dies?
Thought about it, but not really worried about it since my lights are set to automatic, they turn off once I lock the car. If it does come up, that's what AAA is for. And if the car's electrical system fails, (WTF!!) lol, you would have to call AAA anyways to get it towed
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

i picked one up from bimmian last may at bimmerfest and i ran into the same exact problem you described so i sold it, they guy that bought it never complained so i guess it worked out for him fine (he had a 335). i still wanted a keyhole cover and just thought the first one was defected or something so i went ahead and ordered another a week ago and received it today. i tried installing it today on my break and RAN INTO THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!!!!! i came across this thread earlier and now i just believe they are crap pieces! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=keyhole+cover

i'm going to attempt to return it to JleviSW (where i purchashed it from) and pick up a keyhole cover from Sal@Autocourture, i found this thread and it seems their part is a better quality part than Bimmian's and is even cheaper than the Bimmian one http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=keyhole+cover

oh yeah, on the first Bimmian keyhole cover i bought the paint was TOTALLY off like in the first link. i couldn't tell on this second one since it was cloudy today. and i'm not too worried about the battery dying because i have a keyhole on my trunk and can get in through there if ever..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
i picked one up from bimmian last may at bimmerfest and i ran into the same exact problem you described so i sold it, they guy that bought it never complained so i guess it worked out for him fine (he had a 335). i still wanted a keyhole cover and just thought the first one was defected or something so i went ahead and ordered another a week ago and received it today. i tried installing it today on my break and RAN INTO THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!!!!! i came across this thread earlier and now i just believe they are crap pieces! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=keyhole+cover

i'm going to attempt to return it to JleviSW (where i purchashed it from) and pick up a keyhole cover from Sal@Autocourture, i found this thread and it seems their part is a better quality part than Bimmian's and is even cheaper than the Bimmian one http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=keyhole+cover

oh yeah, on the first Bimmian keyhole cover i bought the paint was TOTALLY off like in the first link. i couldn't tell on this second one since it was cloudy today. and i'm not too worried about the battery dying because i have a keyhole on my trunk and can get in through there if ever..
Thanks BSM,
I am going to try to see if I can get a refund for it, or else I guess I will have to sell it for a loss. :/ Fail on painted keyhole covers....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

EPIC FAIL by Bimmian, i also picked up another set of matte shadow emblems for my iCarbon trunk and these ones have a slight gloss (but still matte) compared to the emblems i picked up from them 2 years ago which where completely matte. DAMMIT BIMMIAN!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracino89 View Post
Thanks BSM,
I am going to try to see if I can get a refund for it, or else I guess I will have to sell it for a loss. :/ Fail on painted keyhole covers....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Ended up getting a refund, plus they paid for shipping it back and shipping me a drop in filter that I used the refund to buy. I simply mentioned "False Advertising" by saying that it will fit both e8x and E9x cars. They changed their attitude real quick after that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So I got this and ya same problem.. pming Bimmian about it.. like come on after a few returns you would think you either stop the advertising about it working on the E8X or modifying the design to work on our cars.. I am not a happy camper right now!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
tell me about it! I was pissed off so much! Mention false advertising when you speak with them. and if you are within you're 30 day refund period ask for your money back and the price to ship it to them. I was out of the refund period so I had to do an exchange, but I still had them pay for me shipping the keyhole cover out, and the shipping of the new item.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

Guys, also had the same problem.

Had to shave down tow plastic ridges on the new part, not the painted part but the white plastic that has the threaded insert in it.

If someone can post a pic I can throw it in paint and mark where it needs to be trimmed.

Bought mine like 6 months ago and threw it in the trunk when I couldn't get it to install. Hanging at my car one day after work and one of my techs here fit it in about 5 minutes using a pocket knife to trim it down.

Also for the no key question, those of us pre 2010? Still have a trunk lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
Guys, also had the same problem.

Had to shave down tow plastic ridges on the new part, not the painted part but the white plastic that has the threaded insert in it.

If someone can post a pic I can throw it in paint and mark where it needs to be trimmed.

Bought mine like 6 months ago and threw it in the trunk when I couldn't get it to install. Hanging at my car one day after work and one of my techs here fit it in about 5 minutes using a pocket knife to trim it down.

Also for the no key question, those of us pre 2010? Still have a trunk lock.

Hmm.. intersesting.. maybe I should take a picture.... cause someone tried to break into my car and scratched up my key hole area so instead of painting it i was going to put this on.. i will post a picture in the next few days or pm you.. thanks in advance..!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I got these pictures online.. let me know if its good enough if not ill take some.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

^ Looking along the flat edge of the second picture (where the moving part of the door handle sits closest to) you can see two small white ridges on the mounting part of the cover. Those raised tabs need to be shaved down to approx. half the height they are now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hey I got it to fit.. just got my shop to shave it but the color is 2 shapes lighter then my car >.<!!! contact Jlevwi to exchange the cover!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Mine was not that close either. Oh well, you cant really tell on AW.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #18
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
Mine was not that close either. Oh well, you cant really tell on AW.
Just to revive this a little since I'm new and I didn't find this very helpful info until AFTER dicking with it for a while. This may also be helpful for anyone else that's new to this part and is lucky enough to find this before they start.
My funny story is that I had the same fitment issues everyone else had but was able to do the trimming as I started comparing the two pieces and spotted what I thought was the issue. Now the sad part and talk about mind-raping. I did watch the Bimmian video and in it the guy says something like "the last thing you want to do is drop the screw in the door..." Well guess what happened? I had that line in my head as I kept trying to fit the difficult new piece. I got the screw out, and had made several attempts at fitting but kept hearing that line.
Finally, it happened. I was going to put positive pressure on the stupid screw so it wouldn't drop and as I did, it dropped into the abyss! I almost hurled. My stomach turned upside down. The 5-minute job I promised my wife was now an hour long ordeal.

Long story short, the piece looks OK, but fits like poo. Don't drop the screw either or else make sure if you've got telescoping flashlight magnets handy to fish around in there until you find it.
Appreciate 0