BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

Clear corners in U.S. 1-series?

Is there any option or way to get the clear corners like the European models instead of the amber corners in the U.S?

In the E46 3-series (such as the one in my sig), clears were included with the sport package, and personally I think they look better.
      04-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM105 View Post
Is there any option or way to get the clear corners like the European models instead of the amber corners in the U.S?

In the E46 3-series (such as the one in my sig), clears were included with the sport package, and personally I think they look better.
Can't be done... This has been discussed before, but here's the rub... Our regulations require an amber reflector in the corners. When conforming clear lenses are used, there is an amber reflector embedded inside. Or... more often a separate amber reflector is mounted on the wheelwell or bumper that is visible from the side.

That is the reason that the clear lense unit you are referring to cannot be used legally... There would be no amber reflector in the front corner.

Also, in case you were wondering, an attempt to bypass the regulation by using the European light clusters could prove to be a problem for the "cornering" headlights, because we drive on the left and the European lights are not built for that.

Best bet? Enjoy the 1-Series with it's amber-sided lights. It's still a gorgeous car.
      04-19-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Our regulations require an amber reflector in the corners. When conforming clear lenses are used, there is an amber reflector inside. More often a separate amber reflector is mounted on the wheelwell or bumper that is visible from the side.

That is the reason that the clear lenses unit you are referring to cannot be used legally... There would be no amber reflector in the front corner.
Not sure where you got that from, but according to the California Highway Patrol you are incorrect.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Quote:
Illegal in California...
  • Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
  • Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
  • Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
In other words...
  • Front reflectors are NOT required.
  • Front corners can be clear, as long as the bulbs light up either white or yellow.
  • Side markers can be clear, as long as the bulbs light up yellow in the front and red in the rear.
      04-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
felixdahousecat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Come to Canada and buy one eh!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Can't be done...
Also, in case you were wondering, an attempt to bypass the regulation by using the European light clusters could prove to be a problem for the "cornering" headlights, because we drive on the left and the European lights are not built for that.

Best bet? Enjoy the 1-Series with it's amber-sided lights. It's still a gorgeous car.
????

I guess you are new to the BMW scene.

Endless amounts of BMW owners upgrade to Euro headlights.

Euro lights have the clear corners and blink orange. You will not have problem, not illegal.

It is costly though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Can't be done... This has been discussed before, but here's the rub... Our regulations require an amber reflector in the corners. When conforming clear lenses are used, there is an amber reflector embedded inside. Or... more often a separate amber reflector is mounted on the wheelwell or bumper that is visible from the side.

That is the reason that the clear lense unit you are referring to cannot be used legally... There would be no amber reflector in the front corner.

Best bet... try e-bay... they want ours and we want theirs....

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

They only drive on the left in Japan and on British Islands I believe. Their lights might be different. I'm going to see about getting some while I am EDing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
????

I guess you are new to the BMW scene.

Endless amounts of BMW owners upgrade to Euro headlights.

Euro lights have the clear corners and blink orange. You will not have problem, not illegal.

It is costly though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but blinking amber isn't the concern. It's having an amber reflector in the corner that is the requirement.
      04-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but blinking amber isn't the concern. It's having an amber reflector in the corner that is the requirement.
Its not illegal, period.

Do you understand how many people are driving BMW's with Euro Headlights in the US?

It is a COMMON mod.

So it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I already corrected you. :biggrin:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...818#post114818
      04-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already corrected you. :biggrin:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...818#post114818
You provided a state regulation.

This falls under the federal safety standards, and can be researched at NHTSA.

Just because many people do something, such as mod their lights, doesn't mean it's technically legal. That was the point of your supportive document in your post's link.

There is a reflective device standard on the federal level. Take a good look at all cars, and you will see that they all conform to a set of standards. That is why there is an amber reflector built into the 1-Series front corner light cluster. It's deliberate, to satisfy the regulations.
      04-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You provided a state regulation.

This falls under the federal safety standards, and can be researched at NHTSA.

Just because many people do something, doesn't mean it's technically legal.

There is a reflective device standard on the federal level. Take a good look at all cars, and you will see that they all conform to a set of standards. That is why there is an amber reflector built into the 1-Series front corner light cluster. It's deliberate, to satisfy the regulations.
So you're saying front reflectors are required in the United States, but NOT in California?

:iono:
      04-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
So you're saying front reflectors are required in the United States, but NOT in California?
I don't know about this particular law, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for a CA law to directly contradict a federal law. I mean look at the whole marijuana thing. It's legal to buy in CA if you have a prescription, but if the feds catch you with it you can go to jail. Even if you have a prescription and bought it "legally".

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

:iono:
Of course I'm not saying that. That would be ridiculous.

I'm telling you that there are reflective device regulations that are addressed at the federal level. I suggest you review the regs at NHTSA.

You are confusing the turn signal with the reflective device. They are not the same.
      04-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Front (side) amber reflectors are required along with an amber bulb.
Front does not require amber reflectors but requires amber bulbs

Rear (side) red reflectors are required along with a red bulb.
Red reflectors and amber/red bulbs are required in the rear.

In other words you are allowed to put clear reflectors up front if you have a n amber reflector elsewhere on the side

As for removing the amber reflectors, it's not difficult at all, it just required about 4-5 hours a heat gun or oven.
It's fairly common to open these headlights, they're simply glued shut. Reflectors pop right out and you can fabricate a clear one cleanly relatively easily
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #16
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaiderman View Post

In other words you are allowed to put clear reflectors up front if you have a n amber reflector elsewhere on the side.
The only reflectors required in California are the red ones in the rear, period.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
      04-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaiderman View Post

In other words you are allowed to put clear reflectors up front if you have a n amber reflector elsewhere on the side

As for removing the amber reflectors, it's not difficult at all, it just required about 4-5 hours a heat gun or oven.
It's fairly common to open these headlights, they're simply glued shut. Reflectors pop right out and you can fabricate a clear one cleanly relatively easily
FINALLY!!! Someone understands!! Read my original post! I had stated that a clear cluster would require an amber refector either on the wheelwell or bumper, visible from the side!!
      04-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #18
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
FINALLY!!! Someone understands!! Read my original post! I had stated that a clear cluster would require an amber refector either on the wheelwell or bumper, visible from the side!!
Tell me something. Why should I take your word over the California Highway Patrol?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really trying to understand what you're talking about. Thanks man for trying to explain this to me.
      04-19-2008, 04:20 AM   #19
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Realize that this is about federal regs, not California.
      04-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #20
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Realize that this is about federal regs, not California.
What does that mean? How does this affect things? (Serious question)
      04-19-2008, 04:26 AM   #21
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

You can almost ignore federal law because law enforcement use civil statues and there's not really a federal agent that will pull you over for reflectors. They're not that bored with their life.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #22
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does that mean? How does this affect things? (Serious question)
OK. We all want the same thing here... factual information.

No one is being an ass for trying to get this ironed out. Let's work together.

It's freakin' near 2:30 AM late here in California. I can't do enough research right now. I'm laying in bed here typing on my damn mobile... wife is sound asleep... So cut me some slack. LOL.

From what I recall, NHTSA is the source for the federal safety standards, and I recall them to be somewhere around standard 108. You can check this when you like, but I can't right now for obvious reasons.

If no one gets this straightened out, I'll do some research later in the weekend. And try to pin it down more clearly.