BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

OEM Windscreen Replacement UK

Hello again. Ages since been on here. My 1M is 4 and half years old and on the day it ticked over 25,000 miles the UK sunshine decided to expand a tiny chip below my wipers to an eight inch long crack. Sad story and all. Needs a new one.

With the car being totally original etc etc, I have the new problem on what screen to replace. My BMW dealer quoted £905 with replacement of all the gubbins. I could of course pay the insurance windscreen excess and get well know mobile repairers to fit.

Concern about use of non BMW parts and whether I insist on the full process of new seals, sensors, sound insulation as advised by BMW or stand back and let the mobile fitters do whatever they consider necessary.

BMW UK quoted £500 of labour alone plus 24hrs off the road. What have other 1M owners done, are there any issues and do you feel non standard parts would be to detriment value and functionality?

Very much a first world problem but it's my baby, I want the best for it, but the cost difference is huge. I'm looking into part payment. I just want to know if any problems or concerns using mobile guys.

Cheers

Shost
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

My insurance paid for bmw to do it after some phone calls.
Auto glass wanted to fit a non bmw stamped window i wanted it to have the bmw
on it they said i would have to pay for the logo they wanted £380 for the logo
the window was 0nly £245 from bmw

Autoglass can't set up the rain sensor they said so my insurance paid up.

I had to pay the bill then send them the invoice they paid it in 2 days
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Mark so your insurance paid BMW to fit? Which insurance company were you using. I've just dealt with Autoglass so far. They said it's just a logo etc but I'd rather it be BMW. I haven't been quoted betterment yet.

Agree it's not actually parts that are problem. Good to know that Autoglass can't fit the sensor, I suspected that might be the case. It's already booked in at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

This might be comparing apples to orange as I'm in the US but my local mobile installer bought OEM glass from the dealer (for much cheaper than the dealer would have charged) and installed it in my driveway, rain sensors and all. No issues...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

i am with privilege.

I wanted the BMW original glass as the car is in mint condition and a limited edition also i said i insure a BMW i want bmw parts fitted :thumbs:

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Admiral only cover manufacturer screens for cars upto 3 years old. No exceptions. In the end I paid about £210 plus usual excess to have BMW stamped glass.

The autoglass guy had no problems re installing the sensors - he showed me the fittings they clipped on. No glue which the dealer stated.

He also said car would be fine to drive within an hour. BMW said 24hrs! Haven't taken the chance so left it overnight.

Now... do I re fit the redundant tax disc holder for authenticity!?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Admiral only cover manufacturer screens for cars upto 3 years old. No exceptions. In the end I paid about £210 plus usual excess to have BMW stamped glass.

The autoglass guy had no problems re installing the sensors - he showed me the fittings they clipped on. No glue which the dealer stated.

He also said car would be fine to drive within an hour. BMW said 24hrs! Haven't taken the chance so left it overnight.

Now... do I re fit the redundant tax disc holder for authenticity!?
Glad you got it sorted i left mine off
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Guys from another owners club I'm a member of have been making their own badges to go in their tax disc holders - just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #9
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

I still have all my old tax discs so had taken to displaying the dealer tax that expired in 2012...

The screen isn't fitted correctly though. The chap used too much adhesive and what I thought was a genuine seals are pattern. The result is excess glue visible in and outside and worse the glass sitting too proud, meaning the screen has to come out again!

Oh well I'm sure they'll get it right eventually.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:30 AM   #10
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Had this before on an M3 i had when my 1M went in to BMW i took the 2 trims off soo he would keep it neet and he did its like factory

I fit handsfree car kits and all too often they bond the head lining to the window and we cant fit the mic and hide the cable
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Mark, the second fitter has done a far better job. I can tell it's not factory but only because I was looking right at the glue - and I know what I'm looking for.

The bloke used BMW seals and seem to be much better quality and fit.

He seemed to think it would be a mobile repairer that would do the work at the dealer anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Thanks Mark,

He seemed to think it would be a mobile repairer that would do the work at the dealer anyway.
It was my m8 that works at Eastern Bmw that fitted my screen
Appreciate 0