BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

New 2013 135i convertible owner first impressions after 14 Z4.

After just a year with my 2014 Z4 28i, I traded in for a new(75 mile) 2013 135i convertible and wanted to share some of my early experiences.
I picked up my Z4 in December of 2013 over 3 months of waiting for it to be built and shipped. It was a custom order since manual transmission was a must have option for me and they couldn't find any in the country when I went to purchase. The car was extremely attractive and had a lot of personality, but did have some downsides. First, things I really liked. The performance of the N20 was great in the car, lots of low end grunt, a great exhaust tone especially with the exhaust pops when letting off the throttle, the car had a good amount of grip and realistically within the boundaries of what is legal and safe, was more than capable of doing a great job on the back roads. Unfortunately, the car was nothing but problems from a reliability standpoint and spent well over a month in the shop within the year that I had it. Between constant Bluetooth issues, a software bug which BMW couldn't resolve which prevented my car from accepting updates, random quirks with the climate control, navigation screen, and stereo. The whole experience put a pretty bad taste in my mouth and I was just eager to get rid of the car so one day when I was dropping the car off for service and I saw in the showroom a leftover 2013 135i convertible with only 75 miles, it really got me thinking.
The 135i convertible was mineral grey with m sport, technology, premium, harmon kardon, heated seats, alarm, pdc, dct trans, carbon fiber mirrors and performance grill. The dct transmission was the one thing that I wasn't crazy about, but there were no leftovers anywhere with a manual and even used would be hard to find. Original MSRP was over 55k which I will admit is a huge amount for a 1 series. That being said, I knew that with the car sitting for so long and the 2 series convertible almost ready to hit the showrooms, they would be willing to give me a huge discount. I had also considered waiting for the 2 series convertible, but knew that based off of my budget, I would have had to go with the 228i and keep the options at a reasonable level and not tick all of the boxes. The 228i convertible is auto only, so that helped me accept that no matter what direction I went in I would end up not getting a manual transmission and it seems like with the direction all of the car companies are going, at some point either with this car or my next, I would end up having to make the switch anyway. I also really like the 1 series convertible look and to get a loaded 135i for less money than a modestly equipped 228i made it a no brainer.
My wife had a 128i a couple of years ago and we have on several occasions made comments that we never should have gotten rid of that car and thought it was one of the best cars we have owned. My first impressions after very little driving for the 135i vs my Z4 is that there is a night and day difference.
I haven't opened up the 135i yet, so I can't speak to acceleration, but on paper it should be a faster car. The N55 is so much smoother than the N20 and even without mashing the pedal, you can tell it's got a ton of low end power.
Handling is the biggest shock for me. I would say that the 135i handles dramatically better than the Z4. It feels extremely stable around corners and the steering feel is leaps and bounds better than the Z4 was. I know everybody keeps saying that BMW is improving the EPS system, but compared to my Z4 and any loaner F series car I have had, the 1 series just feels so much better.
The dct transmission will take some time to get used to, but my first impressions are positive. The shifts are seamless and it's fairly smooth to start. It's a little strange comparing it to a traditional automatic since the start's feel more like starting a manual car. My wife has an X3 with the 8 speed ZF transmission which I think it a great transmission and from the little I have driven the DCT, I'm surprised at how much better the DCT is than the traditional automatic. The manual in the Z4 was typical BMW, shifted nice, had a good clutch feel.
The 1 series feels a bit stiffer over bumps and road imperfections and I do think that there is more chassis flex in the 1 vs the Z4 which I am sure is due to the Z4 being built from the ground up as a convertible. Seating position in the 1 series feels high in comparison since in the Z4 you were practically sitting on the floor, but still really comfortable and the seats are very comfortable and supportive.
Interior quality was marginally better in the Z4, but the 1 series is still pretty good. I am not an interior snob and I think that everything you touch and feel is really nice. The m sport steering wheel is fantastic.
Overall, I am extremely happy with the change and feel more excited about this car than I did when I got the Z4. I didn't test drive a lot this time around, but when I got my Z4, I test drove pretty much everything I could in the segment including the MX-5, fiat 500 abarth, mini roadster, audi TTS and after now driving this 1 series, I'm disappointed that I didn't think to look at them last year as this is the best balance of performance, comfort and practicality for me. I think the most surprising thing was that after my wife drove it, she said immediately "I think you should take the X3 and I will use this car".

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Good find on the 135. Crappy that your Z4 had so many issues. I've been caually looking for a used Z4 to replace our miata, but I think I may wait for the new MX 5 to arrive. It's about a 1000lbs less weight than a Z4.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
If you don't mind me asking how much did you end up paying? I bought mine in March 14 and got it for 44.2, sticker was 49.9. It had 70 miles, also was it eligible for cpo or new car financing?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Interesting. I was considering the Z4 initially when I got side-tracked on the 135i convertible.

I wanted a BMW convertible and didin't want a 3-series, so I figured Z4 was the only way to go, even though I wasn't entirely sold on the look. Honestly I didn't know much at all about the 1-series at the time.

I preferred the look of the 1-vert over the Z4. The cost was a few bucks cheaper and it had an actual trunk AND a small back seat (not good for people, but ok for stuff). And when I drove it the performance was plenty good so I was sold.

I am a little surprised about the issues you've been having with the Z4 considering its brand new.
      12-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Yeah, I was disappointed with all of the issues. I have had several BMW products and this was by far the worst experience. It could have been a fluke, but I think part of the problem is with a car that doesn't sell high numbers, BMW wasn't motivated to fix the issues. They ended up going to around 42 which considering the MSRP was 55 was really good. They said they lost over 5k on the deal, but wanted to get rid of it. They also still have another one with almost the same options on the lot. I was able to get new car financing.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zccrx
Yeah, I was disappointed with all of the issues. I have had several BMW products and this was by far the worst experience. It could have been a fluke, but I think part of the problem is with a car that doesn't sell high numbers, BMW wasn't motivated to fix the issues. They ended up going to around 42 which considering the MSRP was 55 was really good. They said they lost over 5k on the deal, but wanted to get rid of it. They also still have another one with almost the same options on the lot. I was able to get new car financing.
That is an awesome deal, it seems they ate the depreciation. I put almost nothing down and maybe upside down $2k, I mean thats just a few car payments. I was very happy with the deal I received, I went to order a 2 series I walked past the one numerous times because of the auto, the salesman talked me into a test drive and I've been grinning ever since. Enjoy your ride I don't believe you would be any happier in a 228 convertible.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Welcome to the 135i Cabrio club! May I suggest the OEM CF rear spoiler to really set exterior off. I'm surprised how many compliments I get on it from non enthusiasts.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0