BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

saturday afternoon with my kopeyka

so I had 1300mi on the clock, went and got a oilchange and a wash at the dealer - $100. Drove home and what do I see on the road another 1er. A diamond graphite one. I speed up to it, it's a 128 so no problem catching it, get up to the driver door, older dood in sunglasses driving it with the windows down and there's someone in the passenger seat. I waive to him, the driver completely ignores me, and as I was getting pissed I realized it was someone on a test drive from the local dealership. I have myself a chuckle and head up to mulholland. Cruise around mulholland for a while, now starting to get near redline (i had waited for my break in oilchange) and its a blast, car grips like crazy and the engine sounds beautiful. I park at some scenic points take some pics. After a while I get behind a porsche, i believe a gt2 (b/c it had a fixed wing) and when the road opens up a bit the porsche and i play for a while. :wink:

PICS: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8528

I gotta say, i love the car and its pretty fast once it gets going but i do notice the lag. Its not rpm lag, and i don't think its turbo lag. I think its throttle response lag. I notice it in the situation where i'm in gear at partial throttle and go WOT. Ther's just a tiny little hesitation b4 the power kicks in. Its not rpm related, it just take a split second for the car to fully react, but once it does its like a wave of power that holds till redline from any rpm. I also notice it when switching gears, particularly from 1st to 2nd. When i'm trying to drive slow and smooth, i use the throttle to smooth out my shifts. And i notice that to get in 2nd smoothly you have to get on the throttle a split second earlier than what i'm used to. I think the reason is the throttle lag, but now that i have the timing down 2nd is not an issue. Interestingly enough, when going wot from 1st to 2nd there's no lag and the car peels out into 2nd even with the dsc on. it was really unexpected the first time it happend because otherwise the car is so freaking smooth.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Too bad you didn't see MINE on the 405 & 10 today.

The auto has the some throttle lag that is just at the very beginning for a millisecond and THEN it goes. It's really weird. It hesitates for just a second, then we're flying. Think those are just the a, b, c's of this car. No biggee.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Black (2015)

Yeah I was surprised I had never heard any comments about this before. I'm still awaiting my 6SP (hopefully this coming week) but I had test drives in an auto and noticed it right away. At first I thought it was the auto tranny so I paid it no mind, but after a second test drive I concluded the same as you.

Given that the ECU controls throttle response, I wonder if doing the Dinan flash will change this. I had an e46 M3 a while ago and did the Dinan work and it really flipped the throttle response on its ear (in a fun but sometimes too fun way). The M3 had a "sport" mode that was effectively a change to the throttle response, but the Dinan change was a bit like having that on all the time, +1.

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
will
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I have been hearing about this to. In fact I was talking to a coworker, he has a 535i and we were talking about it on Friday. It is a throttle response problem not turbo or rpm. He was telling me about a fix for it. I will get more information on Monday.
6-Spd. Manual, Prem. Pkg. Sports Pkg.,
Cold Weather Pkg, Nav., Comfort Access,
PDC, Hi-Fi, iPod/USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

the fix is something like putting the car in radio readiness mode, holding the throttle for 30 seconds an then starting it. this is supposed to reset the shifting parameters of the auto, but don't see how it helps the 6mt. if you find out let me know tho.

Also, forgot to mention that after taking some pics up in mulholland and getting ready to leave, i go in the kopeyka and a black e92 drove by, and when it saw me it slowed down and these two hot chicks were just staring at me, i looked at em and smiled back

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Alright, you take the driver, I'll take the passenger, if they have a thing for guys who drive Titanium Silver 135s. ha! Robert's out of luck.
Appreciate 0