BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #45
imported_emos325
Rep
Drives:

ok does anyone know who (companies) might be in the after market of front and rear fenders? i'd like plastic front and since the rear are metal would rolling them be enough if i wanted to add 17" and 20 mm wheel spacers? <-- for weekend racers and for fun maybe a day or to on the street. safety is a serious concern because if i can't drive b/c i am a parapalegic from modding then i'd rather be dead. so anyone has answers?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #46
GAL
Rep
Drives:

You are most certainly correct about the crumple zones,however being a retired firefighter/paramedic for 35 years, most people don't realize that if you replace a roof panel it compromises the body's stability. In today's unibody cars, once the roof system is compromised the car will fold up upon itself. The roofs in todays cars are built to protect against that, I would wage a good guess aftermarket parts are not made to do this. When we extracated people from cars today, we had to secure the roof system so the car would fold up on itself, you could do this with air bags, jacks, or wood blocks(cribbing). If you had to extracate, we would place a chain on the front bumper and run it under the car an secure it to the rear of the car, and with what we call a com-along, we would tighten the chain down so the car would not fold up.Once the body is secured you can remove the patient by cutting of the top. But like I said, if you compromise the safety features that are built into the car, that companies spend millions of dollars on, you better have a good back up system , like a complete roll cage. I just want everybody to think safety first, no one likes to individualize cars and trucks more than I do. My wife ,god bless her, has endured over 250 different cars, trucks , from classic to current models, but safety was always at the front of all modifications. I have 4 boys from 35-23 years of age and I always give them the same speech. I really don't care what you do to your automobile, as long as it's safe any you are protected!!!!!
That is my wish for all of you!!!!!!!!
I am not pointing these thinks out to be a smart a--, but to have everyone consider your safety when doing something to your automobile. The front end, hood,roof,doors, and all interior safety features work in concert to keep you safe during an accident. If any one of these things are compromised, thinks could happen you don't want to even think about. I have learned over the years that most aftermarket parts are not tested to the same standard as your factory parts, the aftermarket manufactures don't have the money or the resources to go out and wreck cars, and test the parts. Just do your research and ask questions , but if not given the info you need, the part is more than likely not to the same standard, and just don't take their word it is, they will say anything you want to hear to sell a part. I have seen to many people die needlessly, from big 4 wheelers to sports cars, because of modifications they made to their automobile, JUST BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #47
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

too much carbon would look ugly as hell!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #48
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

The CF roof and fin on the m3 is amazing. Are there gonna be aftermarket cf roofs w/ fins gonna be made for the 1er? .. which cf manufacture is good as far as fitment and overall quality?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #49
Brownergy
135i FTW
Rep
Drives:

Do as much of the exterior body panels in CF, just make sure you paint every single one of them, except maybe the gril inserts.
Mitsu EVO X (white)
Garrett is a tool, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #50
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Gawd. Carbon fiber is so played out unless it's on an F-car, P-car, Lambo, or the like.

And the Zonda that is full carbon is nasty looking. And not in a good way.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #51
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 02 RSX Type S

Don't want to start any issues here. But did a quick PS of a small CF piece that could be an option for the 1 series. Not overdone or rice IMO I like carbon fiber accents in the right places on the right cars. Didn't take time to change the body color which could help as well, (CF with sr? :iono I can do any part of the car this way, (shark fin? roof? mirrors?) If anyone wants to see their ideas I could try and PS them up for ya. I think the pattern could be a little better on the right side, but the middle/left doesnt look terrible in the full scale i don't think. Again, a scaled quick 5 minute job little hard to see, please dont flame too bad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #52
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

i'd love to see a cf roof and fin.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #53
imported_emos325
Rep
Drives:

i'd go with hood, roof, fin, and trunk if it'd not too much trouble and if u had the right photo.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #54
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

No problem guys, I can carbon fiber the road and water in that pic if i wanted! lol, you can apply it to any part of the photo so any part of the car I can do. Also I could do some carbon fiber accents with interior shots if anyone would be interested in seeing that! Il see what I can work up later on today!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #55
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I think it looks good!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #56
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

it looks good, but that piece is already a dark color, so its not a big change. if you did the roof and the decklid, it would give us a peek at what that would look like.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #57
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are a few PS of the pieces people wanted to see. I didnt CF the roof in the rear shot because I didn't think the fin would show up as well, the sunroof in the last pic was a quick afterthought..:iono: hope ya like em! Keep the ideas comin! (grill, mirrors, lip, side skirts?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #58
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep

sedona red definitely isnt the color to pull off cf hood/roof/trunk.

maybe some of the more neutral colors would work better with it (white/black/silver/grays)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #59
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

yea, i agree. I love black with cf cause it's hardly noticeable
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #60
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

lol agreed! I can change the body color to anything! check my thread in pic/vids *Extremely Fast* Rim Shop for some examples. Il have to swap these pics to some diff colors n see watcha think!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #61
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

+3... Black is best IMHO
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #62
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would be interested in a CF hood and trunk lid but I would probebly paint over it. at least the trunk anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #63
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I am actually in shock about all this talk of CF in the negative. People you realize this is a 1 series? Me personally I love CF and wouldn't change every part of the car if I could. Not leaving it all exposed but would add it tastefully.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #64
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep

the thing is the 1er is going to attract a lot of first-time BMW owners, some of which are coming from "import tuning" crowds. regardless of how everyone else feels about it, these people will bring some styling preferences along with them for mods, and if manufacturers are aware of this and want to make money, they will make what people want.

I personally wouldn't deck my car out in CF hood/roof/trunk etc, however I wouldnt oppose a front splitter at all, as this is even a common mod on previous gen 3s. but I think there will be a market for a lot of of carbon fiber pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #65
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
the thing is the 1er is going to attract a lot of first-time BMW owners, some of which are coming from "import tuning" crowds. regardless of how everyone else feels about it, these people will bring some styling preferences along with them for mods, and if manufacturers are aware of this and want to make money, they will make what people want.

I personally wouldn't deck my car out in CF hood/roof/trunk etc, however I wouldnt oppose a front splitter at all, as this is even a common mod on previous gen 3s. but I think there will be a market for a lot of of carbon fiber pieces.
+1 exactly how I feel, I would probably do the rear piece and maybe front splitter.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #66
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post

I def. agree that this is going to a first time BMW for alot of people. I just feel personally. And this is only my opinion that this car will be geared for people in the 20's and early 30's.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0