BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Anybody know Jack???

Since my R53 MINI is totaled I'll be getting all personal posessions out of her and thought of taking the floor jack kit to use on my 1.
Was wondering if it will it do the job incase of a road emergency? (have a regular floor jack at home)

Any thoughts appreciated.
      10-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
I simply bought the jack kit for the 1 series (I think its the same as the 3 series). I'd check with your service dept and see if it fits. likely should be ok, but i wouldn't want to wait for a flat in the middle of the highway to find out
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Whats the jack going to help you with if there is no spare to swap out?
      10-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
I have one in the garage, I just call the mrs to bring it out if the mobility kit / compressor doesn't work.
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by One&Only View Post
Since my R53 MINI is totaled I'll be getting all personal posessions out of her and thought of taking the floor jack kit to use on my 1.
Was wondering if it will it do the job incase of a road emergency? (have a regular floor jack at home)

Any thoughts appreciated.
You do not need a jack! This is my third BMW with no jack/spare and I even use non run flats. I have had a few flats and with a compressor and fix a flat type stuff you can get somewhere to get it fixed. As a backup you have BMW assist. Press the SOS button and via satellite you get help. I bought a BMW air compressor on e-bay and a device that plugs the tire if I had a larger hole. I have only had to use the air compressor to refill the tire to get somewhere it could be fixed without having to use the fix a flat slime stuff.

Unless you have a spare the jack is no use to you. BTW if you do get a jack make sure you carry a lug wrench.

IMO Having the spare and jack thing is from the days before cell phones. Back then you were on your own to get help. Now days you call BMW assist or AAA, they come help and you do not get dirty. When I had a flat recently, I used the air compressor to fill the tire and was in nice cloths. If I had a spare in the trunk I would have changed the tire and been all dirty. Now all my vehicles whether they have a spare or not get the little air compressor.
      10-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
Unless you have a spare the jack is no use to you. BTW if you do get a jack make sure you carry a lug wrench and a wheel chock

Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
You do not need a jack! This is my third BMW with no jack/spare and I even use non run flats. I have had a few flats and with a compressor and fix a flat type stuff you can get somewhere to get it fixed. As a backup you have BMW assist. Press the SOS button and via satellite you get help. I bought a BMW air compressor on e-bay and a device that plugs the tire if I had a larger hole. I have only had to use the air compressor to refill the tire to get somewhere it could be fixed without having to use the fix a flat slime stuff.

Unless you have a spare the jack is no use to you. BTW if you do get a jack make sure you carry a lug wrench.

IMO Having the spare and jack thing is from the days before cell phones. Back then you were on your own to get help. Now days you call BMW assist or AAA, they come help and you do not get dirty. When I had a flat recently, I used the air compressor to fill the tire and was in nice cloths. If I had a spare in the trunk I would have changed the tire and been all dirty. Now all my vehicles whether they have a spare or not get the little air compressor.
I plan on replacing my wheels/tires to non run flats eventually and I still have my donut spare from my old 330 before I sold it (jack+chock as well). In the 6 years I had the 330 (I replaced the runflats with non-runflat performance tires) I only had a flat once and it was while parallel parking in Boston. I called my insurance company and they sent someone right out, but since I had the donut in the trunk, by the time they had got there (took them over 40 mins), I had already changed it and was ready to leave :iono:

I think I'm gonna keep the spare for that reason. I'll leave it at home when I'm around town, but if I know I'm going on a longer journey I'll throw it in the trunk just in case. You never know where you'll end up getting a flat, and getting one far from home in the middle of the night is something I never want to experience, but I can still be prepared.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Great advise...thanks guys!
I have a portable cig lighter air compressor I used on the R53 at the track also carried the green slime kit and the MINI Jack kit which has lug wrench and jack in it. Lug wrench may not work for the 1...MINI has 14mm lugs.
On long trips, or when I was feeling a little paranoid, I'd carry another 16" tire in a tire tote.
Now I have the 1 I'm dealing with and will check on the abilities of the MINI jack in lifting the 1. Will prolly get a donut for those paranoid moments. The slime kit & compressor are already boot fixtures.
I tend to be too independent for my own good and I just realized I have a help number I can call....if I wanna wait for them to get to me that is.

OMG....I just got the windows tinted today....think I'm in love with a car!!!!!
      10-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I just checked the manual of the e92 m3 and in the mobility section they have instructions for using the mobility kit. In it they do not mention using a jack during usage of the mobility kit.

http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/e92-m3-manual.PDF
Appreciate 0