BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

I'd like to say I don't care what people think, but on some level we all do. My Porsche gets a certain amount of negative attention because of the 7 letters on the back. Enough to nearly render the horn usless as an opinion giver. (Oh, just another jerk in a Porsche!)

People who judge you based on the hood ornament probably don't know the difference between a 135 and a 318. They will think you're a snobb no matter what. The fact that the car is small will be lost on them, and yes they will think Poor mans BMW.

I've even fallen prey to this as well. The new Camaro looks real good; way better than any before it. But I would be afraid people would think I live in a trailer park. There is just some unwanted baggage there. A fun 300 HP coupe for 26K seems like a bargain even if it is a Chevy. (It has gotten very good reviews from journalists that have driven the engineering mules).

So yes, despite what we think, others do influence our feelings about cars. Can't wait to see how much "influence" I get over the Camaro coments.:respekt:
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #24
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Saw a T-shirt on a gal the other day: "Yes I live in a trailer park. No you haven't seen me on Cops." ; -)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschelover View Post
I'd like to say I don't care what people think, but on some level we all do. My Porsche gets a certain amount of negative attention because of the 7 letters on the back. Enough to nearly render the horn usless as an opinion giver. (Oh, just another jerk in a Porsche!)
You hit the nail on the head and made some excellent points. You might be surprised, however, that my own experiences (re. Porsche vs. BMW) differ a bit. To wit...

I had my Boxster seven years, and never encountered any negative feedback at all. First three years were in St. Louis, Missouri (at a time and place where the Boxster was still something of a novelty). The last four years were in Dallas, Texas, where - for good or ill - Porsches of all types seem to be fairly common fodder (absolutely no disrespect intended).

I grant you, backlash against a Boxster would probably not be as strong as against a 911. On the other hand, I can testify that Boxster drivers don't get as many admiring glances, either. A trade-off, I suppose.

By comparison - and this is where our experiences differ - I encountered a pronounced increase in negative feedback from other drivers once I got my 135i (something I never encountered in our X5, or in my wife's Mini Cooper S). It's almost like people expect you to be a jerk, just because you're piloting a Bimmer.

My SA actually warned me about this (!) when I got the car (yes, I thought he was joking; he wasn't). It weirded me out so much that I found myself being obsessively polite to other drivers above and beyond the call of duty... which is, I admit, a hell of a thing to call a "problem". But it IS symptomatic of being worried about other drivers pre-judging you based on the car you drive.

I can't help wondering if reactions to high-end imports differ according to location (e.g., California vs. Texas vs. Missouri - or urban vs suburban).
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
imported_erick
normally aspirated
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckw View Post
Early on, there was a lot of concern on this site that those not in the know might see the 1er as a poor man’s BMW and regard its owner as a seeker of cachet on the cheap. In the post-crash world, maybe that’s a stereotype to encourage. Sometimes it’s not good to be seen as a cat that’s too fat.
I could see why this would have been an issue but as long as the owners don't start putting Replica items on these cars they are ok. Once the crowds get around to modifying a car for cheap the whole car in the market turns cheap.
      10-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #27
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I keep my car dirty so it doesn't attract as much attention.
Yes, um, yes. That's the reason I do it too.

amy!
Appreciate 0