BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2024, 04:54 PM   #1
danix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39,e46

Moving sideways?

So, my son has a 2008 135i. We did VRSF downpipes and intercooler, and he dropped a tune on, stage 2+ I think. Holy cow.

This thing pulls like a freight train, but I also noticed an instability - it feels like as the boost comes on, the car is shimmying sideways.
I suspect it's revealing some wear in the control arm bushings or similar.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:13 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Did power before chassis.

Car was designed with run flats in mind. Needs a lot of work to sort out even at stock power levels.
      03-12-2024, 08:28 PM   #3
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
I would look at the rear subframe bushings and visual check with a pry bar around ball joints and really all suspension parts. It shouldn’t feel like what you describe even stock. It’s not great stock but very manageable. Could be poor alignment exaggerating it too.

Is everything stock on the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:59 PM   #4
danix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, suspension is stock. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3vW...bmw-135i-coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:06 AM   #5
danix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Rear control arm bushings were changed to M3 spec. Alignment may be slightly off as we just had the steering rack loose for the downpipe install, but it tracks straight.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:29 PM   #6
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
I see the m3 subframe bushings which is a big help. Hmm. Seems to be a well cared for car too.

Happens with traction control on and off?

Some alignment places with give you an alignment check for cheap and you can see if something is just way off?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:45 PM   #7
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Agreed, replace the RSFB's with something better. Either the M3 parts or I went with the Whiteline 2-pc delrin parts. The consensus seems to be that BMW chose to use super soft RSFB's to compensate for the harshness of the crappy gen-1 runflat tires they put on the car. And now with more compliant tires the whole rear end just feels disconnected.
Appreciate 1
Olgeezer1184.50
      03-20-2024, 09:44 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
So, my son has a 2008 135i. We did VRSF downpipes and intercooler, and he dropped a tune on, stage 2+ I think. Holy cow.

This thing pulls like a freight train, but I also noticed an instability - it feels like as the boost comes on, the car is shimmying sideways.
I suspect it's revealing some wear in the control arm bushings or similar.
Any thoughts?
Bushing deflection. You will likely need solid subframe bushings and spherical end toe arms to keep that rear button down.

Feel free to PM us with any questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:32 PM   #9
danix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had the car aligned today and it was quite a bit off. Tracks straight, but when you hit the juice, it still feels like the back is moving. I'll look into some of the options suggested.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 06:03 PM   #10
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
As long as not too bad, I kinda like the way our cars want to go wild when be up the boost. I have a higher hp car that is very well composed (AMG GTS) and it can be kinda boring at times. But yep, the stock 135 suspension sux.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:21 PM   #11
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Had the car aligned today and it was quite a bit off. Tracks straight, but when you hit the juice, it still feels like the back is moving. I'll look into some of the options suggested.
Rear subframe bushings. Fairly big job as subframe should be dropped. E90 M3 subframe bushings, Whiteline 2 pc. poly bushings ( that's the way I went ), or solid aluminum bushings will all be a major improvement. There are also bushing inserts, cheaper , easier install but are really only a halfway measure. My research before buying the car 10+ years ago showed the major E82 weaknesses were the soft subframe bushings and cheap shocks/struts. Dealing with those 2 issues along with premium tires will transform your ride.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Rear subframe bushings. Fairly big job as subframe should be dropped. E90 M3 subframe bushings, Whiteline 2 pc. poly bushings ( that's the way I went ), or solid aluminum bushings will all be a major improvement. There are also bushing inserts, cheaper , easier install but are really only a halfway measure. My research before buying the car 10+ years ago showed the major E82 weaknesses were the soft subframe bushings and cheap shocks/struts. Dealing with those 2 issues along with premium tires will transform your ride.
We also like the Whiteline inserts that is the all the budget you have for parts and labor.

If you are dropping the subframe for the bushings, it is also a great time to replace the two flex brake hoses at this time.

Feel free to reach out to us for Whiteline, solid alum. subframe bushings and Stoptech SS brake lines.
Appreciate 1
danix13.50
      04-02-2024, 10:46 AM   #13
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
We also like the Whiteline inserts that is the all the budget you have for parts and labor.

If you are dropping the subframe for the bushings, it is also a great time to replace the two flex brake hoses at this time.

Feel free to reach out to us for Whiteline, solid alum. subframe bushings and Stoptech SS brake lines.
His cars and bids link shows it having m3 rear subframe bushing and arms. Kinda a weird situation. Unless the PO just lied about it. Idk
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55e82Simon View Post
His cars and bids link shows it having m3 rear subframe bushing and arms. Kinda a weird situation. Unless the PO just lied about it. Idk
If that is the case and alignment is good, have a look at the deflection in the toe arms. Toe changes under load will steer the rear of the car causing instability.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:59 PM   #15
AshwinLB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

I agree with the other posters, rear subframe bushings and toe arms made a big difference to straight line stability on my 135i.

I went with condor speed shop solid uhmw rsfb and I noticed no increase in NVH but it made a MASSIVE difference in how the chassis reacts in straight lines and around turns. I’d recommend getting the eBay tool to remove the stock bushings if you’re DIYing as it made it a lot easier than the struggles I’ve seen online. I’d also recommend removing the middle brake lines from the subframe so you can drop it a little bit lower. And might as well change the lines at the same time, I went with UUC stainless lines just cause they use factory style mounting faces so you don’t have to counter-hold while tightening the lines. Really doesn’t matter though

For toe arms, you can’t use e90 m3 toe arms as they’re too long so I went with Megan Racing Toe Arms which have spherical bearings on both ends and put on seals it rod end boots to keep them from eventually clunking (they already had seals but they were kinda wimpy). If you don’t wanna bother with that, the Manzo Toe Arms are the exact same design except with rubber bushings on each end which should be more durable but would have some compliance due to the nature of rubber (still better than stock). I also added a SPL eccentric lockout so all the toe adjustment is from the arm itself instead of the eccentric bolt.

I also did an mfactory LSD but it’s hard to justify/recommend it due to cost vs benefits (especially if it’s just a street car), but also made a huge difference to straight-line stability and handling around corners. The car just feels like it’s on rails. Still, the rsfb and toe arms have a much better cost to benefit ratio so I’d recommend just doing those initially.
Appreciate 0