BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Production Numbers for U.S.

Does anyone have legitimate info for the U.S. production numbers? I'm receiving mixed info from several dealerships including the following:

- 300 total units to be built for U.S.
- 800 total units to be built for U.S.
- Production to continue into 2012
- Next round of allocations to go to smaller dealerships
- Next round of allocations to come out at beginning of August

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
The original estimate was 600 units. During the official press day presentation given by Matt Russell, the estimate was increased to 800 units.

I have yet to see any official indication of U.S. production going beyond December 2011. To the contrary, my CA has reportedly received formal notification from BMW NA that production will end in December.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
The original estimate was 600 units. During the official press day presentation given by Matt Russell, the estimate was increased to 800 units.

I have yet to see any official indication of U.S. production going beyond December 2011. To the contrary, my CA has reportedly received formal notification from BMW NA that production will end in December.
Thanks, HERR. I wonder where all of these allocations are ending up.

I've talked to several dealerships in Texas (Austin, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth... all large markets and high volume) and all expect their total allocations to be between 2-4.

There are only 366 dealerships total in the US, and the smaller dealerships have said they do not expect to receive any allocations. Where are all these machines going!!???!!?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
There are only 366 dealerships total in the US, and the smaller dealerships have said they do not expect to receive any allocations. Where are all these machines going!!???!!?!?
Each dealer gets at least one allocation, regardless of sales volume (I believe Matt Russell has been quoted confirming this). So about 360 units will be spread out amongst all U.S. dealers. The remaining 400 or so will be divided up amongst the higher volume dealers.

M3 Adjuster made a good educated guess on how the 800 units will be divided up and allocated. Search for his post....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I couldn't find my original post quickly earlier... but I think that I like these figures better that I came up with earlier today based on 350 dealers and going with 4 volume levels of sales..

Let's assume 150 dealers are SMALL dealers - one allocation (150)
Let's assume 75 are MEDIUM size dealers - two allocations (150)
Let's assume 75 are LARGER dealers - three allocations (225)
Let's assume 50 are straight up VOLUME dealers - six allocations (300)

bam.... that's 825 cars..
As i mentioned elsewhere... the numbers at each level may be +/-1, for individual dealers, but you get the idea.

One Mmm... you are correct about the Texas dealers... receiving 2-4 allocations.. My personal opinion is that BMW of Austin actually may get the most of any individual dealer in TX due to their sales of 1 series models as well as M cars. The allocations for the 1M are based on 2010 sales of both 1 series models and M cars. The DFW area dealers are way too focused on moving buyers from the 1 series to the 3 series.. There are a ton of 1 series cars in Austin... and they are few and far between in Dallas.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-20-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Eye can haz onez???
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post

- Next round of allocations to go to smaller dealerships
- Next round of allocations to come out at beginning of August
I hope these are true!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I couldn't find my original post quickly earlier... but I think that I like these figures better that I came up with earlier today based on 350 dealers and going with 4 volume levels of sales..

Let's assume 150 dealers are SMALL dealers - one allocation (150)
Let's assume 75 are MEDIUM size dealers - two allocations (150)
Let's assume 75 are LARGER dealers - three allocations (225)
Let's assume 50 are straight up VOLUME dealers - six allocations (300)

bam.... that's 825 cars..
As i mentioned elsewhere... the numbers at each level may be +/-1, for individual dealers, but you get the idea.

One Mmm... you are correct about the Texas dealers... receiving 2-4 allocations.. My personal opinion is that BMW of Austin actually may get the most of any individual dealer in TX due to their sales of 1 series models as well as M cars. The allocations for the 1M are based on 2010 sales of both 1 series models and M cars. The DFW area dealers are way too focused on moving buyers from the 1 series to the 3 series.. There are a ton of 1 series cars in Austin... and they are few and far between in Dallas.
I hope you're right!!!! Time to start contacting the little guys, I suppose...

I'm on a waitlist @ BMW of Dallas (No. 6 @ the moment), and I'm not overly optimistic about receiving an allocation. I love this car, but I'm also not willing to get gouged by paying over MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
phastman
Autocrosser
Rep
Drives:

scratching my head

Why did BMW make so few of these? I can't figure it out. Was it because they got burned on the Z4M sales? VW can bring 5,000 manual hatchbacks to the U.S. (R32) and sell all of them. And hatchbacks aren't exactly popular here. Did BMW really think an entry-level M sports coupe wouldn't sell well? I just don't get the forecasting.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastman View Post
Why did BMW make so few of these? I can't figure it out. Was it because they got burned on the Z4M sales? VW can bring 5,000 manual hatchbacks to the U.S. (R32) and sell all of them. And hatchbacks aren't exactly popular here. Did BMW really think an entry-level M sports coupe wouldn't sell well? I just don't get the forecasting.
its a one MY build car its an instant classic

2000 world wide to my knowledge
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

To quote Enzo Ferrari, always build one fewer than you think you can sell.

BMW is testing the waters. It cost them next to zero dollars in major development to design and build the 1M (not counting the Air Curtain and fender flares as major). Take the 1-series, insert the highly praised Z4 35is motor, insert the benchmark god-like M3 suspension, add 19" wheels and fender flares, delete sunroof. Bam! FrankenBimmer 1M is born.

They were no doubt burned on the Z4M, to the point they decided $90k+ M SUVs were a safer bet!

They made 2000 1Ms during the last MY from spare parts just to see how the market reacts before committing R&D resources and cash to building the 1M/M2 on the new 1-series chassis. If these 2000 1M's sit on the lots then no harm done compared to spending a TON of R&D towards a new 1M/M2 that will be produced in volume for 3-5yrs and possibly sit on lots.

Come to think of it, the Z4M was kind of the same deal. Engine/trans and brakes from the E46 M3 ZCP, I think the suspension may have came from there too but I'm not sure. It was a bit of spare parts car too.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
R32 was what like $34k loaded? Even the new R is going to be around $35k.

Loaded 1M is around $55k.

That's quite a difference right there.

As mentioned, the 1M seems to be an exploratory foray to gauge market reaction to a small, back-to-basics car that is an ///M model in spirit but does not adhere to the recent guidelines for what a true M car should be (forced induction, no custom engine, no fancy-pants suspension and flappy paddles).
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
It took VW a couple of years to sell all of them and the dealers were discounting them in the end. With that said, the R32 was a great car at its price point.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I could see them being a little upset if they gambled a forced induction "parts-bin" vehicle with large numbers and they languished on the lots.

I think they're just testing the waters for a response, like you said. I was pretty panicked because I live in a relatively rural area, and the dealers aren't "huge". Nonetheless, I am #1 right now at one, and I just dropped off the other when I heard I was getting an allocation and these were "small dealers".

I think it would be poor to offer something without a chance at least for one at each dealer.
Appreciate 0