BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
tellreded
Rep
Drives: E82 N52

[Help Needed] Valve cover, Valvetronic Actuator

hey everyone. I'm currently in the process of taking off my valve cover on the n52 motor with the plastic valve cover. i hit a wall trying to take out the valvetronic actuator. i heard it is very delicate so instead of breaking it, im coming here for advice. does anyone know how to remove this safely without breaking anything and without the bmw coding thingy? I went off a video trying to get it off. in the video it said that spinning it counter clockwise puts tension on the motor, and clockwise relieves the tension, so spin clockwise. I did all the way until i felt a little bit of tension once again, and then spun it counter clockwise little bit until i could feel tension again. i went clockwise again to be in the middle of the two places. then, i removed the two e8 bolts a little bit at a time, alternating, sort of how you do a tire. then, i tried to pull lightly and it was able to wiggle a bit and pulled out a bit but like i said, i didn't want to break it so i didn't pull or wiggle hard, only lightly. I called the local euro mechanic and he told me that I'm playing with fire and they have an electronic tool that will tell the motor to back itself off, but the videos clearly show that it can be backed off manually. regardless, I pushed the motor toward the valve cover, tightened the allen key clockwise to tighten the actuator back to the valve cover and put the 2 e8 bolts back in. Right now everything is back together and the guy told me to put the car in accessory but without the engine on and let it sit like that for 15 mins so the actuator can try to zero its self back to normal. (I'm assuming this works because my windshield wipers turned themselves on, but my battery died after 2 mins)

so did I do everything right in trying to remove the actuator? or is there different steps that I should take?
Appreciate 0