BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #133
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SGM 135i

6 hours -- Ouch! Good luck!... I hope you get it all dialed in this winter and we can all hook up for an event in the Spring!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #134
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1M Side Markers Working Now...

I finally was able to get my 1M Side Markers to light up and operational now. Local BMW dealership (where I purchased the 1M front-end conversion parts from) service department reversed the polarity in the harnesses for me (free of charge; I had other work done so they made money).

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #135
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
I finally was able to get my 1M Side Markers to light up and operational now. Local BMW dealership (where I purchased the 1M front-end conversion parts from) service department reversed the polarity in the harnesses for me (free of charge; I had other work done so they made money).

VERY NICE - more details please on this. How involved was the work?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #136
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Details on what? For Front-End conversion you will need to go back and read through this thread (its not that long). I've documented all that I could.

For getting the 1M Side Markers to light up, I didn't do the work, but I believe it was simply a matter of having the right tools to pop the pins (wires) out of the harness, reverse them and put them back into the harness (clip) again -- then clip/connect it to the 1M Side Marker.

It had to be something along those lines and as simple as that because they didn't charge me for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #137
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Details on what? For Front-End conversion you will need to go back and read through this thread (its not that long). I've documented all that I could.

For getting the 1M Side Markers to light up, I didn't do the work, but I believe it was simply a matter of having the right tools to pop the pins (wires) out of the harness, reverse them and put them back into the harness (clip) again -- then clip/connect it to the 1M Side Marker.

It had to be something along those lines and as simple as that because they didn't charge me for it.
I was referring to the Side Markers. I am familiar with the front end assembly.
Thanks for the information. Car looks great by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #138
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That is what I thought, but its been a while.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #139
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

aFe CAI

I also got my aFe Cold Air Intake installed today. Thanks Harold for hooking me up!!!
I would have installed it myself, but I've been crazy busy at work and just little to no free time any more these days. Plus every year I swear I am going to get a Heater for the garage so I can work in there over the winter and I never do -- ugh!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #140
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:

Thanks a ton for the info, my dealership and collision center had no idea on this!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #141
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I also got my aFe Cold Air Intake installed today. Thanks Harold for hooking me up!!!
I would have installed it myself, but I've been crazy busy at work and just little to no free time any more these days. Plus every year I swear I am going to get a Heater for the garage so I can work in there over the winter and I never do -- ugh!

Nice intake!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #142
C.junior
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Have you gotten a chance to take some more pictures from back facing front to see how wider front looks? Thanks man also how do you like your steptronic I also have step but I kinda miss mt so not sure if I should speed the money on a body conversion if I miss manual lol maybe your pics can help me decide lol thx again man

Quote:
By extremely rough measurements (and "on paper") the front *is* wider than the rear, but IMO the lines are so perfect and flow that you honestly don't notice it when doing a walk around from 3 feet. As soon as I can steal a nice Fall day (on the heels of Sandy they are now calling for us to get hit by a Nor'easter and get 1" to 3" of snow tonight -- that's crazy!), I'll pull the 1 out and shoot a walk around short video and post it for you to see yourself.

The work that my installer had done to seamlessly integrate the stock side skirts with the 1M side skirts totally complete the "optical illusion" and complete the perfect flowing lines. Otherwise it would draw your attention visually and make it more noticeable. All of my friends that have seen my car have all liked it and commented on how well the lines flow and believe me they are just as car-crazy and me and if they didn't like it they aren't shy and would let me know. Even people at SP the other weekend who saw it commented on it and gave me props -- especially when they saw the nice wide 265's on the front. Ask pixelblue for a "second opinion", he was setup right next to me.

Honestly, I would have *much* rather BMW produce enough 1M's to meet the demand and traded in my 135 for a 1M and be done with it, but BMW corporate politics are what they are and they didn't and any dealership that was lucky enough to get a 1M to sell on their lot marked it up BIG time and all were already spoken for, so given that BMW decided to make the 1M a limited production "niche" car, the rest of us must "do what we must".

Having said that, I would have loved to have been able to convert the rear of the car to 1M as well, but the budget just wouldn't allow for that at this time. As it were, this venture cost me around 4 total all said and done. I'm guessing the rear would be around 5 to 6 and I'm not sure that would include the cost of the parts.??? It gives me something to look forward to, plan and save up for, so maybe this time next year or some time on 2014.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #143
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had a walk around video posted on post #127 but I think I needed space since and removed it. I still have it on my computer I think. It wasn't *that* great, but that is all I had/have. If you hadn't seen it, PM me. I have been insanely busy at work since mid-January; long hours, working weekends too and winters around Philly are crap. Maybe when Spring is officially here. Car is going back into the Shop in a week or two to get a Quaife LSD installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #144
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In my opinion there is no question, go for the manual transmission. I *ONLY* got STEPTRONIC for the Mrs. In 2009 when I got my 135, BMW didn't have the DCT option for a 135 yet, so if you wanted paddles you needed to go STEPTRONIC. Since I needed auto for the wife, I was definitely springing for the paddle option. In DE events, STEPTRONIC is insanely easy to drive, which does allow you to focus on other aspects of your driving (line, braking, etc.), but I'll be happy when my dedicated Porsche track car with a proper manual transmission is done to flog that out on the track.

IMO, BMW may be the "Ultimate Driving Machine", but with all the electronics they keep adding to their cars they are effectively taking the "driver" out of the car.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am not looking to start a "religious war" here. Its my thread so my opinion. If your opinion differs, great, more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #145
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quaife LSD

Thanks Harold for hooking me up! I got it installed this past Tuesday and love it!

Also, got my stock HD radio replaced under warranty (ton of dead pixels in the two-line message display) and got the battery cable recall performed while it was in.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #146
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Very nice! You going to be at the PCA event at Summit the 6th?
      03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #147
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, unfortunately I haven't registered for that event yet. Potomac PCA is hosting aren't they? I haven't instructed with them yet and probably too late to do so now. I am planning on running at The Glen later in May with Chin Motorsports (instruct for them); that is unless something comes up at work -- been crazy busy this year so far. BUT, not complaining, just saying...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #148
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Next on the "To-Do" list is to get brake cooling ducts back on my 1 since the 1M front-end conversion plastic bits behind the front bumper took that away (doesn't have provisions for them) AND to get a larger oil cooler.

Is the larger Dinan oil cooler worth the money? Any feedback or recommendations are welcome. At least according to the Info Center in my BMW Performance steering wheels, oil temps are were borderline high last August when I was at The Glen.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #149
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Next on the "To-Do" list is to get brake cooling ducts back on my 1 since the 1M front-end conversion plastic bits behind the front bumper took that away (doesn't have provisions for them) AND to get a larger oil cooler.

Is the larger Dinan oil cooler worth the money? Any feedback or recommendations are welcome. At least according to the Info Center in my BMW Performance steering wheels, oil temps are were borderline high last August when I was at The Glen.
From what I've heard about the dinan oil cooler is there are others that are just as effective for less, however, none will have the fit/finish and ease of installation. There will generally have to be some sort of cutting/fabbing to get them. From what understand, the dinan comes with everything and has no cutting. Thats what I was told anyways, no actual experience seeing one.
      03-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #150
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
Quote:

From what I've heard about the dinan oil cooler is there are others that are just as effective for less, however, none will have the fit/finish and ease of installation. There will generally have to be some sort of cutting/fabbing to get them. From what understand, the dinan comes with everything and has no cutting. Thats what I was told anyways, no actual experience seeing one.
Dinan requires cutting. I doubt it fits or performs any better than the ER sport intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #151
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Sk8fe, I would hit up Fred at Evolution Racewerks and see if he can give you a good price on either of their Oilcooler set ups.

You could get a dual oil cooler set up from them for the price of the dinan single.

The 1M front end also comes with the proper ducting to support the dual oil cooler. The second cooler would just go in place of the 1M second radiator and use that ducting.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #152
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool - thanks! I'll check them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #153
Greensteez15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
As requested (took best pics I could in my garage using my iPhone). Please note, I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination nor a mechanic by trade, so there still may be some minor hood adjustments required for uniform fitment front-to-back, side-to-side. When I have the AeroCatch fasteners (hood pins) professionally installed I will have them perform the final uniform fitment before cutting the hood to install the AeroCatch assemblies.

SleK Upper (windshield) fitment:

Right Fender fitment

Left Fender fitment

Front fitment

very nice +1
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #154
DTR
1 day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: The "OTHER" German