BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Rickmac
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i m-sport

New tuner looking for guidance.

So I'm admittedly a newb when it comes to tuning and modifying any car.. that said I am somewhat of a crafty person. I just managed to install a few things on my car to make it FBO.

2010 135i m-sport n54
Bms dci
Vrsf 5" stepped fmic (with lower charge pipe)
Vrsf 3" catless DP's
Vrsf Charge pipe w/stock diverter valves
Cobb AP v2.

Now I'm just missing the rest of the exhaust I know..
Aside from what's listed I'm trying to set myself up for a single turbo kit in the future when my little ones give up. I was hoping to get some guidance on how to go about it. In doing these preliminary upgrades, I'd like to gain some extra horses too.

I've been looking into fuel it's throttle body injection kit along with lpfp kit to run e50 or so. But with the cobb, it's map is specifically tuned for use of e30 correct ? Will I be able to run a higher concontraction on ethanol?

I like the idea of the port injection because it'll keep the intake valves cleaner from the carbon build up (I assume) so I'm leaning towards that over a meth kit. Although with meth, it would seem that it greatly reduces temps allowing my engine to run much safer at the same Givin psi.. And increasing power. However to run meth, I'd ideally want to switch from cobb to a jb4 for safety features...

I'm just lost and not really sure what to do next for upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Ok, so the first question is, what are you hp goals?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Rickmac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
Ok, so the first question is, what are you hp goals?
Anything around 500whp would be enough for a daily driver I'd imagine. I'd like to avoid turning the car into a "race car". Basically I don't want to have to make a huge investment in the handling/suspension aspects of the car..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Rickmac
Rep

As for the single turbo setup, it won't be anything too ridiculous. I like the price point of the On3performance kit. I realize there are better options out there as far as ability to create power, but for my target goal I feel like this is a great compromise. Actually I don't feel it's a compromise at all considering it'll still outperform stock turbos for slightly more than replacement oem turbos.

Anyways that's not really the topic I want to focus on, but I just thought I'd mention it since all4bspinnin asked about hp goals.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
Rickmac
Rep

I realize I could go with a more conventional setup like the Hexon rr600 turbo upgrade, which would cost even less. But with those, my understanding is I would most likely need to run ethanol to achieve 550 whp or so. Where If I went with the On3performance single kit, I could just upgrade my lpfp and run 93 octane and produce the same output with less strain on the components. Yes? And if I felt the need to increase again, I could add a meth kit into the mix. It's probably due to my ignorance and lack of knowledge, but to me the port injection and throttle body injection systems seem less complex than running meth. The only downside is see to using ethanol with tbi or pi is I will always have to run ethanol, never straight 93. Is that right ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

It sounds like you have a lot of ideas running through your head and I feel, after hearing your horsepower goals, that a set of Hexon's would be a good start. That will allow you to use the piping you already have and make around the horsepower you want. Its a good step for those that want additional power without getting completely crazy.

Also, keep in mind... to achieve these power goals you're going to need a good gripping clutch and a set of sticky rear tires if you want the car to hook. A set of street radials and a more aggressive clutch setup are things you may have to live with at that hp. They also add additional costs to your build.

Also, something else you may want to look into since your car is a daily driver... Research your area and see what kind of price you can get on 100 octane. With 100oct you can actually lean the car out a bit more and it doesn't require the extra ~30% more fuel delivery requirements of ethanol. I personally do not run e85 in my FBO/custom tuned 135i. I like being able to switch maps with my cobb without worrying about running the tank to near empty to remove the e85.

100oct will make similar hp to e85 (maybe a bit less) but you could 93oct as you daily and switch over for those days you want to track the car.
Appreciate 0