BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

TC BMW FTW!!!!!!

......................NOT

So i took my car in for a rough idle 2 days ago, and I felt like being a little detective for once.

I left my camera in the car with the video recorder on, and what happened pissed the crap out of me.

So in the video two tech's get in the car and are discussing the most stupidest shit ever.

Then they are like "okay, so why are we driving this again?"
"to check for a clicking noise from the engine bay after some driving"
"ok lets take it for a quick spin"
2 minutes later:
"man this car is fast, i wouldnt be able to go a week without a ticket"

Then, the guy starts to FLOOR it. Like WOT on the street near TC, and the GO station. Worst thing is that he doest DOWN SHIFT with a REV MATCH. He just pops it into gear. You can see/hear mmy synchros taking a beating.

Now, the good stuff. The tech downshifts into first.....................not once, not twice, but EVERYTIME. At ~20-30kmh he downshifts into 1st and the rpms are like 4-5K.

"no sounds coming yet"
"sounds fine to me"
"I think he has an aftermarket exhaust, it sounds nice"

They keep booting the car around, and then they turn of the traction control.

Its a 8 minute video, they traveled about 5 km in my car.

So anyways, i was SUPER pissed. I called up the OWNER of the dealer after pushing to get the number from the business development division. My dad has his number but I didnt wanna seem stalker-ish. I showed him the video today, and he was furious.He said he is super sorry, and he said if i am extremely upset i can have a new tranny and clutch installed at half price whenever I want to. He gave it to me in writing so i guess it eases the pain a
bit.

Really makes you wonder what these guys are thinking. I had my camera sitting in the car attached to the headrest, i mean HOW can you NOT take that into consideration.

I am really considering taking the offer of the new tranny next year. Overall, he was super nice. I got lucky that he was in his office when i got a hold of him, and its the third incident with the dealership's less than stellar service.

Just had to share
      04-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
spud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

1/2 price???!! are you nuckin futz???

for that proof, i say you get that for FREE!!!

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

LOL you expect everyone who works on your car to be able to Heel-Toe Brake/Downshift?

These cars are meant to be driven, your car will be fine its built to take that "abuse" (though from your description hardly sounds like abuse).

Sounds like the guys could get in trouble for speeding but otherwise they were just doing their jobs. You gotta warm up the car to replicate the problem - you expect them to granny it, driving it for 20+min for it to warm up? No, you drive it in the higher RPM get it nice n warm these guys don't have all day to diagnose your 'ticking'.

4-5k RPM? Oooooh - you know the rev limiter goes all the way up to 7k RPM right?

Just playing devils advocate
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
pushkin
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
LOL you expect everyone who works on your car to be able to Heel-Toe Brake/Downshift?

These cars are meant to be driven, your car will be fine its built to take that "abuse" (though from your description hardly sounds like abuse).

Sounds like the guys could get in trouble for speeding but otherwise they were just doing their jobs. You gotta warm up the car to replicate the problem - you expect them to granny it, driving it for 20+min for it to warm up? No, you drive it in the higher RPM get it nice n warm these guys don't have all day to diagnose your 'ticking'.

4-5k RPM? Oooooh - you know the rev limiter goes all the way up to 7k RPM right?

Hope this happens to you...
      04-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Sux to hear this Mo, post the vid on youtube, I would love to see these idiots in action.
      04-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

ya post the vid online, i want to hear all of their stupid comments. fools
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

+ 1 on seeing the video
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
denisk
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Yah tell them your gonna post the video on youtube and you'll get your tranny for free for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

There is no video of course, or it would already be posted.

Cars being brought in for service get left on the lot until current jobs are finished. When techs are free to work on them, they do, if it's the same day. You're telling me you had enough digital storage in your camera to record the entire time until they were ready to service your car, then the test drive?

Plus, you're telling me TWO techs took it out for a drive, instead of the one who was assigned to it? And you still had enough recording time to get their 8 min test drive?

I call bullshit. Pony up the vid if you got it. And try to make it believable; not just you and your pal dressed up and grannying your car around. We wanna hear your synchros getting hammered bad enough to cause the dealership owner to offer you a 15K$ discount on engine\tranny replacement.

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
There is no video of course, or it would already be posted.

Cars being brought in for service get left on the lot until current jobs are finished. When techs are free to work on them, they do, if it's the same day. You're telling me you had enough digital storage in your camera to record the entire time until they were ready to service your car, then the test drive?

Plus, you're telling me TWO techs took it out for a drive, instead of the one who was assigned to it? And you still had enough recording time to get their 8 min test drive?

I call bullshit. Pony up the vid if you got it. And try to make it believable; not just you and your pal dressed up and grannying your car around. We wanna hear your synchros getting hammered bad enough to cause the dealership owner to offer you a 15K$ discount on engine\tranny replacement.

ianc

Rofl dude.

a) I was waiting there while they worked on the car since I am not allowed a loaner, it was just a test drive. They asked if the car was making the noise, i said no, they said they would drive it out. I didnt say the whole video is 8 minutes, but their footage is.

I have nothing to prove really, just wanted to point out the horrible experience i have had at TCBMW for the 3rd time since i purchased my car. Im pretty sure almost all the local guys know of my problems with them. I have several letters of apologies from Jim Cochraine himself.
I will probably post the video when i get a chance. So far the video is almost 18GB of raw footage.

Last edited by mshahidz; 04-16-2010 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisk View Post
Yah tell them your gonna post the video on youtube and you'll get your tranny for free for sure.
My dad is a friend of a friend to the owner, I dont have the balls to say that to him.
      04-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
mshahidz
Major
Rep

Quote:

I hope you drive an auto if you think shifting into first is normal
      04-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
pushkin
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
Probably does... Or just doesn't know much... Oh well...
Thanks for sharing Mo, This is the exact reason i dont take my car into BMW for service unless its major, i just opt to do it myself mostly, or get Tony to help
      04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I am now contemplating servicing my car at Bimmersport. The only thing I will be getting is the free oil changes and required maintenance visits. Frankly this type of treatment from a dealer scares the crap out of me. Sorry again Mo, pretty brutal.
      04-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
No I have 6mt. I don't shift into first hardly ever, the rare times I do is at speeds under 5KM, heck it doesnt even let you shift into first above a certain speed, no?

Show us the vid!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Bayerische_rakete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

If you do decide to go with the new tranny...

...might want to check that it's not those two techs who'll be working on it.

just sayin', is all
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
No I have 6mt. I don't shift into first hardly ever, the rare times I do is at speeds under 5KM, heck it doesnt even let you shift into first above a certain speed, no?

Show us the vid!
You can shift into first at any speed you want. When the clutch is let out and the engine revs are matched to the road speed, if it is above the maximum revs the engine can take (about 8000RPM, 1000RPM or so above the fuel cut off), then you end up with valve to piston contact and major damage (AKA "The Money Shift").
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #18
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Sorry, I reread my post above after a couple of days and realize it's actually pretty harsh. Guess I was in a bad mood on the Fri. evening. Didn't mean to come off that nasty. Apologies...

Sorry to hear about your time. Would like to see the vid for a laugh though...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

To everyone commenting on this post... he has a point. These cars are (these days) built to be driven by people who AREN'T car enthusiasts. They're meant to be driven by regular people, by people who don't know anything about blipping, rev matching, synchros, or anything else that we consider "common sense." The engines, trannies, and drivetrain are meant to take a certain amount of abuse. These cars are under warranty not for the people who drive them properly/gently, but for people who drive them like they would any other car.

Shifting into 1st at 30km/h a couple of times over the lifetime of your car won't hurt it. I'm NOT justifying the actions of these techs, I think they're boneheads and I would be just as pissed off if it was my car. I never downshift to 1st (in fact rarely use engine compression to slow down, that's what relatively cheap brake pads are for). Just want you to take some comfort in knowing that your baby will be okay Sorry to hear this happened like this!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #20
hamo26
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thats sad to hear.. especially when im gonna bring my car in TC for the first service in 3 weeks.
      04-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Yes but you guys aren't listening to what mohammadz said, he didn't match revs when he put it into first at fairly high RPM for that gear! That's got to be a major shock to his engine and tranny even if these things are built tough. Even if it doesn't damage the engine or transmission this time that guy has NO business driving any customer's car if it has a manual transmission. These guys should know what they are doing and treat the car with care...did you tell them that your idle problem only occurred after abusing the car in low gear at high revvs? I seriously doubt the scenario you described counts as a legitimate attempt at diagnosing the car's problem (Edit: well maybe if they did think it was a ticking noise instead of a rough idle...but how'd they get that?)

Mo, I'm not sure I'd listen to these guys about having to post the video just to prove your story, but then again you've already told the story publicly on this forum after talking to the manager so I'm not sure if it makes a difference anymore. Just not sure how much more good can come from a bad situation.

Last edited by Lucky1; 04-19-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: They were diagnosing a ticking noise instead of mohammadz rough idle...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #22
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Assuming they weren't skipping gears, there isn't any particular "need" to rev match on a modern synchro'd manual transmission. The biggest concern is just wearing out the synchros, but that would take time.
Appreciate 0