BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #1233
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Mud flap and carbon lip installed.
I've put mud guards on other cars, but was hoping to avoid doing so on my 135is for appearance reasons. After seeing the dirt/splash pattern on the rear panels during/after rain, I might reconsider. Seem obvious that the rear tires will be kicking up all sorts of debris onto the finish, so I can either add clear bra material or mud guards. Did you install the BMW mud guards?

EDIT: just saw the Mud Flaps Yay or Nay thread... disregard.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #1234
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
I've put mud guards on other cars, but was hoping to avoid doing so on my 135is for appearance reasons. After seeing the dirt/splash pattern on the rear panels during/after rain, I might reconsider. Seem obvious that the rear tires will be kicking up all sorts of debris onto the finish, so I can either add clear bra material or mud guards. Did you install the BMW mud guards?
I did both, clear bra + BMW mud guards.
      09-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #1235
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I did both, clear bra + BMW mud guards.
hey this is a photo thread! if you're gonna talk about mud guards----we need the photo evidence they are on your car!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1236
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
hey this is a photo thread! if you're gonna talk about mud guards----we need the photo evidence they are on your car!!!!!!!
It was posted on the page before!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=1228

Thread on clear bra install:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887113
      09-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #1237
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

Yeah, less yaking and more pics
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1238
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post

Yeah, less yaking and more pics
Alright, so let's see some more pics of yours! =P

Umm, will a picture of my new "fitted luggage compartment mat" being taken out of the plastic bag suffice? Or no, not til it's put in the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #1239
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Fine fine more random shots... It's going to get boring fast because I don't plan on modding her so it'll be the same shots over and over lol.

Is it just me or do these cars have a nice rake from factory?

09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #1240
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Fine fine more random shots... It's going to get boring fast because I don't plan on modding her so it'll be the same shots over and over lol.

Is it just me or do these cars have a nice rake from factory?
Ooooooh.

I've always loved the look and rake. I think the sideskirts help with/accentuate the look as well with the angle of their line going up towards the rear (compared to a flat horizontal line on a 128).

I'm actually curious what you think of the car now that you've had it for a little bit. I know you had a few issues after your test drive that bothered you or that you might have to get used to, but would love to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #1241
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I think your lip spoiler helps with the "rake" look effect. After I see your car Sunday, I'm probably going to convince myself to buy it. Dammit.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #1242
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

Recycled pic before I changed the rear diffuser and my car was still clean

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #1243
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Ooooooh.

I've always loved the look and rake. I think the sideskirts help with/accentuate the look as well with the angle of their line going up towards the rear (compared to a flat horizontal line on a 128).

I'm actually curious what you think of the car now that you've had it for a little bit. I know you had a few issues after your test drive that bothered you or that you might have to get used to, but would love to hear your thoughts.
1000 mile review

So keep in mind, the test drive was a buddy's car although it was spec'd nearly how mine is. That car suffered from some kind of throttle delayed response. However my car which I took delivery 2 weeks ago never had this issue. In those 2 weeks, I also logged 1000 miles and I noticed something rather interesting. During the first 1000 miles, the DCT trans would granny shift really quickly. I'd hit 7th gear by 45mph every time like clock work. However once I approached 995 miles, the trans started shifting more aggressively. Without even using the paddle shifters, manual mode or pressing sport... just remaining in normal D, the car now holds the gears longer. I'm in 2nd and 3rd gears much longer for local traffic, and it now shifts at 4500 rpm as opposed to whatever shift points it used earlier (maybe 3000).

Other points

- The N55 motor is perfect for everyday driving. And now that the car is starting to shift more aggressively, the driving experience becomes even more fun. I was actually worried that I'd constantly need to use the paddle shifters just for fun driving but D still gets the job done. Not to mention with temps coming down to 60's these days, the turbo just loves it!

- The exhaust burble on downshifts are music to my ears

- M-sport suspension is perfect height. I've yet to bottom out in NJ/NYC driving and I've tested some incline/declines I normally have trouble with in my Z4.

- The M-sport seats are great, I love how you can adjust the bolster and lumbar. It got a little cold this past week (50's at night) and I tested the butt warmers. To my surprise the seats got warm really fast.

- iDrive / Nav works great. Streaming music via BT and getting nav directions from my phone are great for a daily commuter.

- The run flats are still not that bad but I will admit when you hit that one nasty pothole, it does wake you up and it's pretty annoying a 50k car could have such terrible feedback. But like I said, I'll replace them after these wear down, and considering how much driving I do it shouldn't take that long.

Accessories

In the past week, I bought some oem accessories, specifically the mud guards, cf spoiler, all weather rubber mats and the ss pedals. The pedals are the only thing I've yet to install but I think these accessories are a must for this car. The painted spoiler looks great but the cf spoiler's curve really gives the trunk that CSL look and the cf matches the black mirror caps and shadowline trim quite nicely.

All weather mats, while not pretty will keep your interior clean. I still have the carpeted mats underneath but I would worry about those wearing down over time and not sure if you can order the special 135is mats (with blue piping) later. Mud guards are also great, they're not the eyesore I thought they'd be, they blend in well and will keep your paint looking fresh for years.
      09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1244
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
I think your lip spoiler helps with the "rake" look effect. After I see your car Sunday, I'm probably going to convince myself to buy it. Dammit.
All good bud, I put together a small DIY so should you decide to order hopefully those instructions will help. Also I can lend you my adhesive remover, double sided tape, etc so you don't need to buy that stuff.
      09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #1245
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
1000 mile review

So keep in mind, the test drive was a buddy's car although it was spec'd nearly how mine is. That car suffered from some kind of throttle delayed response. However my car which I took delivery 2 weeks ago never had this issue. In those 2 weeks, I also logged 1000 miles and I noticed something rather interesting. During the first 1000 miles, the DCT trans would granny shift really quickly. I'd hit 7th gear by 45mph every time like clock work. However once I approached 995 miles, the trans started shifting more aggressively. Without even using the paddle shifters, manual mode or pressing sport... just remaining in normal D, the car now holds the gears longer. I'm in 2nd and 3rd gears much longer for local traffic, and it now shifts at 4500 rpm as opposed to whatever shift points it used earlier (maybe 3000).

Other points

- The N55 motor is perfect for everyday driving. And now that the car is starting to shift more aggressively, the driving experience becomes even more fun. I was actually worried that I'd constantly need to use the paddle shifters just for fun driving but D still gets the job done. Not to mention with temps coming down to 60's these days, the turbo just loves it!

- M-sport suspension is perfect height. I've yet to bottom out in NJ/NYC driving and I've tested some incline/declines I normally have trouble with in my Z4.

- The M-sport seats are great, I love how you can adjust the bolster and lumbar. It got a little cold this past week (50's at night) and I tested the butt warmers. To my surprise the seats got warm really fast.

- iDrive / Nav works great. Streaming music via BT and getting nav directions from my phone are great for a daily commuter.

- The run flats are still not that bad but I will admit when you hit that one nasty pothole, it does wake you up and it's pretty annoying a 50k car could have such terrible feedback. But like I said, I'll replace them after these wear down, and considering how much driving I do it shouldn't take that long.

Accessories

In the past week, I bought some oem accessories, specifically the mud guards, cf spoiler, all weather rubber mats and the ss pedals. The pedals are the only thing I've yet to install but I think these accessories are a must for this car. The painted spoiler looks great but the cf spoiler's curve really gives the trunk that CSL look and the cf matches the black mirror caps and shadowline trim quite nicely.

All weather mats, while not pretty will keep your interior clean. I still have the carpeted mats underneath but I would worry about those wearing down over time and not sure if you can order the special 135is mats (with blue piping) later. Mud guards are also great, they're not the eyesore I thought they'd be, they blend in well and will keep your paint looking fresh for years.
Thanks for the review. I think you'll really like the stainless steel pedals once you put them in as they really finish off the look in there and yes, you can buy an extra set of the blue-edged floormats as I just did a few weeks ago. They are part # 51477327833 for the coupe. They're special order though and have to come from Germany so take awhile (2-3 weeks) to get. A lot of people have ordered extra/backup sets cause who knows what their availability might be in say 2 years. Forum sponsors sell them for like $90, right around there, so not too expensive.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 09-19-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #1246
Canasian
It has finally arrived. It's pretty cute!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Space Gray DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
What is rake?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #1247
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Rake is that perceived image that the car is sitting lower at the front than at the rear, as if it's leaning forward (like an about-to-attack bull). There are many visual cues that make this happen (the wheel wells are not the same height), and some mod their suspensions to add actual rake because they like the aggressive look. Some mod to get rid of rake.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #1248
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
1000 mile review

Other points

Very, very nice review! I agree on all points. I'm going to replace the runflats as soon as my Michelin PSSs show up. I'm hoping the Michelins make a big difference in reducing the boom caused by pavement irregularities. I love the sound of this car, and I'm happy with the DCT so far. Now on to mud flaps...

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #1249
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 '13 135i

After a long wait of 9 weeks, she is finally home. I tell you, this car definitely paid off the wait. Another Alpine White, Coral Red, Manual Transmission, Tech package. This car is a pure beauty, I can never get sick of looking at her.
Attached Images

09-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #1250
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Very nice! Looks like another happy driver!

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #1251
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Great color combination, glad she's finally here
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #1252
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
you can buy an extra set of the blue-edged floormats as I just did a few weeks ago. They are part # 51477327833 for the coupe. They're special order though and have to come from Germany so take awhile (2-3 weeks) to get. A lot of people have ordered extra/backup sets cause who knows what their availability might be in say 2 years. Forum sponsors sell them for like $90, right around there, so not too expensive.
There was speculation on the board earlier that the Blue edged mats might no longer be available - I ordered from getbmwparts late in August, and they showed up this week - was a 3+ week backlog/wait, just like Greg mentioned

$96+ shipping
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #1253
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesis View Post
After a long wait of 9 weeks, she is finally home. I tell you, this car definitely paid off the wait. Another Alpine White, Coral Red, Manual Transmission, Tech package. This car is a pure beauty, I can never get sick of looking at her.
amazing! congratulations man! looks great
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1254
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
too delivery of mine yesterday. went up in a ball of steam and dumped all the coolant. see my thread in the Ordering section of the forum. at the shop now....*le sigh*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0