BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #1
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Depo V2 Installation Questions

I want to throw some depo V2s in my originally halogen equipped 128. I've been doing a bunch of googling and reading(like this old but gold thread), but everyone falls short of actually answering the questions we all want to know.
So I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to
1) Keep the autoheadlight function
2) make the halos the dedicated DRL.

From what I understand this can be done with coding, but I've never read anyone talking about how or what tools to use. I'm pretty familiar with bimmercode if that would work for this.
Has anyone done this and had success with it? If so please share how below!
Thanks!

Last edited by GabeMG; 12-11-2022 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #2
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggan Docks View Post
did you try to do it with bimmercode ?
I don't know how, or if it's even possible, which is why I made this post :P
I haven't ordered the headlights because, like I said, I don't know how ( or if) I can make them work.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

For #1 I'd think this is outside the headlights, if you have something now you'd have it in the future. Other sensors / relays / computer decisions would be made as normal, and ultimately result in - "hey, headlights, turn on".

For #2 this would seem to be more about how you wire them. Any revised connections, jumpers, and so on.

Can't say for sure on either but maybe gives ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
For #1 I'd think this is outside the headlights, if you have something now you'd have it in the future. Other sensors / relays / computer decisions would be made as normal, and ultimately result in - "hey, headlights, turn on".

For #2 this would seem to be more about how you wire them. Any revised connections, jumpers, and so on.
I think you may be right about the autoheadlights. I have heard some people saying that they didn't work without coding, but that didn't quite make sense to me for the reasons you brought up.

As for the wire splicing, that was my first thought as well. The depos are sold as "plug and play", with the halos simply replacing the stupid parking lights. If I'm not mistaken, the DRLs are the low beams on the halogen headlights however.
All things considered I could go this route, but I've read it's entirely possible to make the depos work as one would want with some small changes to the car's code.
I mean, what's the point of halos if they're not on all the time?
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeMG View Post
I want to throw some depo V2s in my originally halogen equipped 128. I've been doing a bunch of googling and reading(like this old but gold thread), but everyone falls short of actually answering the questions we all want to know.
So I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to
1) Keep the autoheadlight function
2) make the halos the dedicated DRL.

From what I understand this can be done with coding, but I've never read anyone talking about how or what tools to use. I'm pretty familiar with bimmercode if that would work for this.
Has anyone done this and had success with it? If so please share how below!
Thanks!
Installed some on my pre-LCI halogen car a while back. The autoheadlight function worked without any coding. Getting the halos to act as DRLs did take some code, but it was easy to do with Bimmercode.

Word of caution, test the headlights before putting everything back together. I found out that one of my highbeams wasn't working after everything was back together, and its a colossal PIA to troubleshoot with the lights in the car.
Appreciate 1
GabeMG7.50
      12-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Getting the halos to act as DRLs did take some code, but it was easy to do with Bimmercode.
Hey that's great! How did you code it in bimercode? Any resources you can pass along this way?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey that's great! How did you code it in bimercode? Any resources you can pass along this way?
Don't remember all of the changes I made, but I did have to play around with things for a bit to get them how I wanted since the way the DEPOs register with the car is kinda whack. Pretty sure the car thought that the angel eyes were cornering lights and I had to tick that box to get them to be used as DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
GabeMG
Private
Rep

So you just fiddled with it until you figured it out? Did you find it through expert mode or just the regular modules?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #9
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

When installed mine I simply checked the DRL lights in my Idrive to make the halos stay on constantly. No coding needed if you have Idrive
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
When installed mine I simply checked the DRL lights in my Idrive to make the halos stay on constantly. No coding needed if you have Idrive
No Idrive here. Aren't the halos wired to what would be the parking lights in the factory headlamp? My factory DRL's are always on as it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #11
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So you just fiddled with it until you figured it out? Did you find it through expert mode or just the regular modules?
Regular mode worked fine. When I say it took a bit I mean like 5 min tops. I think there's a video on YT telling you what to change.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 10:08 PM   #12
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Regular mode worked fine. When I say it took a bit I mean like 5 min tops. I think there's a video on YT telling you what to change.
Oh wow, it sounds like it was much easier than I thought. I've read so many threads of people being confused on how to get it to work and then leaving the threads to die lol.

I'll try and find some youtube videos, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so little update. I went ahead and ordered the headlights. Should get here soon.

I went and took a spin trough bimercode and couldn't find any options at all that had to do with the lights.
Oddly enough the "footwell module", the one with the subtitle of "doors windows, lighting, etc" would not open due to a critical error...? Not sure why.
Do you remember what module it was under?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:26 PM   #14
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay, so little update. I went ahead and ordered the headlights. Should get here soon.

I went and took a spin trough bimercode and couldn't find any options at all that had to do with the lights.
Oddly enough the "footwell module", the one with the subtitle of "doors windows, lighting, etc" would not open due to a critical error...? Not sure why.
Do you remember what module it was under?
Don't recall off the top of my head but I know its the one that takes age to load. Might be the CAS module? Just run through all of them and you'll find it.

I'd also recommend picking up some LEDs for the low beams since they're projectors (high beams are reflectors so keep the halogen). I have Morimoto 2strokes in mine and love them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #15
GabeMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Might be the CAS module? Just run through all of them and you'll find it.
Hm. I'll look again. I ran through all of them a few times. What year is your car btw?
I wonder what I could do as a plan B if it doesn't show up on bimercode for me.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was thinking about using some HID's, but I'll look up those LED's you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #16
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hm. I'll look again. I ran through all of them a few times. What year is your car btw?
I wonder what I could do as a plan B if it doesn't show up on bimercode for me.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was thinking about using some HID's, but I'll look up those LED's you mentioned.
'09 MY. If the options are in the CAS module they'll be buried under a bunch of other stuff.

I wouldn't bother with HIDs, LEDs are superior in terms of price, simplicity, and performance.
Appreciate 0